Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Neil Gaiman
1  2  Next

sequoia

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 4:07 am
Do you like his books? I love Stardust. Just read Neverwhere which I didn't like at all. Right now I'm reading The Graveyard Book.

mimivan

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 4:56 am
I know someone who ghostwrote a book for him or rather did a collection of interviews...I could try to find the title for you..

He says Neil is a great guy and a fantastic artist.

mosma

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:12 am
He's one of my favorite authors!
I love the Sandman graphic novels (very scary and well done and if you're very frum don't read it it's not very kosher)
Good Omens, Neverwhere, Coraline, the Books of Magic....he's a genius! I've never read a book of his so far that I didn't love.

imamama

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:16 am
I read Neverwhere a long time ago, but I remember enjoying it. The only other book I've read by him is Good Omens, but I felt the Pratchett-ness of that book much more than the Gaiman-ness. It's very good, though.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 11:23 am
I loved Neverwhere and the movie (small series in fact) too.
Stardust is nice, the movie is even better than the book. And it's totally kosher by my standards.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 11:33 am
I've read most of the Sandman graphic novels and I've read American Gods.

mosma

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:27 pm
imamama wrote:
I read Neverwhere a long time ago, but I remember enjoying it. The only other book I've read by him is Good Omens, but I felt the Pratchett-ness of that book much more than the Gaiman-ness. It's very good, though.

see, I love terry pratchett too, so it was double awesome for me Very Happy

sequoia

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:30 pm
Thanks for all your replies. I will definitely keep reading his books.

With Neverwhere, I would have preferred a different ending.

saraleah2010

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:41 pm
I usually like him. I just read American Gods which was very dark--and grim--more dark than his others. I kept reading though because it was completely gripping. If there is a Gaiman novel to avoid, that would be the one, if you can't stomach a hard read.

Not to hijack, but I agree with others who also like Sir Terry Pratchett. What an amazing mind and a terrible shame about the Alzheimers.

GreenEyes26

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 10:51 pm
Love him!

Scotty

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 12:37 am
Terry Pratchett is a rip-roaring genius.

Gaiman... his genius is undeniable, but I just... I don't know, I never really got into it. But he has a brilliant short story titled 'A Study in Emerald', a mind-blowing Holmes pastiche that rewards each time you read it...

sequoia

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 9:51 pm
So I just finished American Gods.

Which I suspect I will have to re-read with wikipedia open because I didn't get most of the references.

But so gripping! Vivid characters, memorable quotes, nicely dark atmosphere -- a perfect fantasy novel.

I think he's the most imaginative person on the planet. Also possibly the friendliest writer.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:12 pm
I love Stardust, Coraline and Good Omens, but found American Gods terribly boring and didn't get past the first few chapters.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 8:18 am
Read Coraline yesterday. Wonderful!

ora_43

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 8:28 am
Thanks for starting this thread, sequoia. I read American Gods a while ago. I hadn't heard of Gaiman before that and didn't realize he's written so many things.

I doubt they have any at the library here, but maybe in a few months I can find another book or two of his.

sequoia

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:24 pm
Did you know there was a mistake in the first edition of American Gods? The golem has death rather than truth written on his forehead -- he would have been the deactivated version. Jewish readers wrote in and in the next edition it was corrected.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:28 pm
There's a GOLEM in American Gods? Maybe I should try to shoulder my way through the first few chapters again. That sounds interesting.

Seraph

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:54 pm
Didn't read his books, only saw stardust and coraline. Loved stardust, but coraline FREAKED ME OUT, and it was supposed to be a KID'S MOVIE!!!
I had nightmares! Mother trying to remove her eyes and try to sew bottons on instead? EWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

sequoia

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 3:37 pm
gp2.0, the Maharal of Prague and the golem make an appearance in American Gods, but they don't really play a big part. It's the gods of the Norse pantheon and Slavic pantheon who are central to the story.

Seraph, yeah, I don't have plans to watch Coraline Smile Book was good, though.

I think there are many aspects to Neil's talent, and horror is one of them.

Seraph

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 4:00 pm
sequoia wrote:
gp2.0, the Maharal of Prague and the golem make an appearance in American Gods, but they don't really play a big part. It's the gods of the Norse pantheon and Slavic pantheon who are central to the story.

Seraph, yeah, I don't have plans to watch Coraline Smile Book was good, though.

I think there are many aspects to Neil's talent, and horror is one of them.
What I don't understand is how/why it was made into a kid's movie!?!?! I don't freak out easily, but that movie left me with the shakes...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room