Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Skin reacts badly to (fake) jewelry - ideas?

momagain

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:30 pm
I love jewelry but I can't wear it (not the real kind) because my skin reacts badly to it. Any ideas? Real stuff is beyond my means so that's not an option!

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:44 pm
Oh boy do I have a solution for you!

www.simplywhispers.com - It's a place that makes nickel-free jewelry, pretty cheap, and guarantees you won't have a reaction! It's the only kind of fake jewelry I can wear.

They also sell "findings," so you could buy let's say chandeliers from the dollar store and just switch the french hook to a Simply Whispers one.

momagain

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:52 pm
Thanks, hisorerus. What's a french hook? Also, has anyone heard of dipping jewelry (in silver I think)? Does it help?

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:57 pm
A french hook is just a type of hook sometimes used on earrings, like this: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st......17199

If you're allergic to nickel (which is probably the case) dipping in silver may not help- I get an allergic reaction to sterling silver because of a high nickel content.

red sea

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 3:11 pm
dipping in gold even 18k is not that expensive, you should ask a jeweler.

soonamommy

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 4:08 pm
Simply whispers was my friend for a long time! Smile

I doubt dipping will work if you're sensitive because as time goes on your skin eats away at the metal and eventually you will come in contact with the original metals.

technic

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 4:13 pm
hisorerus ty!!!! ive had this problem for yrs and didnt think thered b such an easy solution Very Happy

momagain

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 4:45 pm
Hisorerus, how do you change the hook, do you need a special tool, etc.? Thanks again.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 5:36 pm
momagain wrote:
I love jewelry but I can't wear it (not the real kind) because my skin reacts badly to it. Any ideas? Real stuff is beyond my means so that's not an option!

Try putting some transparent nail polish on it to isolate your skin from it?

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 6:04 pm
I'm not sure, you might, or a jeweler probably wouldn't charge much (it should take a few seconds). The findings are here: http://simplywhispers.stores.y......html if you're game to try. Otherwise, they have a lot of really nice styles, most under $10.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics