Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What would you spend a little extra on?
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 2:55 pm
Like clothing, which type, for a wedding, shabbos, weekday, etc.., appliances, electronics, etc.. I don't mean big things like a house or car.

I personally would spend a little extra on appliances because I would rather get a little better quality on things that I can't fix myself Wink Rolling Eyes .

simba

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 2:58 pm
Good quality shoes, and yummy pajamas!!

zigi

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 3:05 pm
better shoes. if I can get good quality for 5 $ more I will pay it b/c it is really worth it in the end.

also appliances and electronics I would rather get a well known brand name. example. my dvd player's remote broke. its a cheaper brand coby. I bought a universal remote and it doesn't work with it.

wwmom

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 3:07 pm
linen
furniture
coats
kids weekday shoes

saw50st8

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 3:13 pm
My current splurge is sliced mushrooms and pre-shredded cabbage.

I also spend a little bit more on a good digital camera (like $200 instead of $100) because I take a ton of pictures, but am not good enough for a dSLR yet.

I'm not much of a splurger.

KiKi

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 3:27 pm
I would def buy the more expensive, brand name appliance since in the end u stay with the good quality and durability.
To add to the list, make-up, perfume, furnishings for the house...

Fox

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 3:55 pm
I splurge on small treats, like Slurpees or doughnuts for the kids. I think my splurges are a direct result of how I was raised: my parents were the type who never, ever spent a nickel on any small pleasure -- but they would spend 2-3 weeks in the Caribbean every winter! That's perfectly reasonable, but I hated the feeling that our day-to-day lives were so lacking in the little things that give you a boost!

B"H

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 5:01 pm
Fox wrote:
I splurge on small treats, like Slurpees or doughnuts for the kids. I think my splurges are a direct result of how I was raised: my parents were the type who never, ever spent a nickel on any small pleasure -- but they would spend 2-3 weeks in the Caribbean every winter! That's perfectly reasonable, but I hated the feeling that our day-to-day lives were so lacking in the little things that give you a boost!

I totally agree!

Last edited by B"H on Tue, Jun 26 2012, 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 5:03 pm
Most of my splurges are food related.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 5:07 pm
If I spend less on an appliance, I can afford to replace it eventually.

Grandmama

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:09 pm
I spend a little extra to make my quality of life better every day.
Tissues, only kleenex. Never the cheap brands.
Food products, the real thing, or nothing. No generics unless I taste them and see how they are.
Furniture, only the best. I have to look at it every day, and clean it.
Coats, not bought very often, have to be really loved.
High quality fresh fruit, no matter what the price.
High quality fresh vegetables.
I try to save on other things, like not being wasteful, using shmattes most of the time instead of Bounty, and using up what I have, to avoid throwing things in the garbage.
But I only buy Bounty, no other brand of paper towel.....

Rollerblades

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:31 pm
I also like to buy better brands. Wasn't raised that way and I remember being shocked that my husband spent the extra money on Charmin rather than generic the first time I sent him to the grocery himself. Happy to say he's rubbed off on me a little.

I do love buying small presents for my kids. Also wasn't raised with that. Didn't get much as a kid and love surprising my kids with little toys from the 99cents store when the mood strikes me. I like feeling that I can give to them often even if I'm not ready to spend a ton of money on expensive toys.

MommaB

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:49 pm
I definitely splurge on things like Puff tissues and Charmin. Started saving on cheap laundry detergent for loads that aren't stained, just needing to be washed. Also tear dryer sheets in thirds and use 1/3 for each load. Splurge on shoes for everyday and work out. Splurge on boots. Save on electronics - they break anyway (check Consumer Reports - often the less expensive model is better rated). Only wear Clinique makeup - also a splurge.

Rollerblades

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 10:14 pm
MommaB wrote:
Only wear Clinique makeup - also a splurge.

Ooh! Forgot the Clinique makeup! I splurge on that too.

I buy slightly imperfect pantyhose (trust me, they all rip the same) but spend the shabbos outfit my kids will wear every week.

Will also buy cheaper brands of clothing (love Target and Old Navy for everyday wear for the kids)but spend on really good gear when it comes to baby stuff like strollers

Merrymom

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 10:15 pm
Going out for good sushi
make-up
beauty and cosmetic products

That's about it. In just about everything else I can't stand paying full price. If I was worth millions I'd probably still be a cheapskate, I just like buying things on sale.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:17 pm
Looking at the subsequent thread, Tipping the Mikvah Lady.

jewels

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 2:01 am
For my kids, their Shabbos clothes, their shoes and toys. I don't mind spending a lot on toys if I know they're made well and will last.
For myself I'll buy any brand makeup, clothes in H and M or target and mix in a few good pieces, shoes I'll definitely spend more on- that's my splurge for myself.
I'll buy whatever brand cereal/paper goods/household items are on sale and I don't care about buying generic. The only thing I won't buy generic is cleaning products and detergent. I will only buy good quality fresh fruit and vegs, and for my kids when I see a new fruit that we've never tasted I'll splurge on that as well.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 2:53 am
books. books. and more books.

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 3:27 am
Whenever I buy something, I usually try to get the best quality I can afford. I would rather buy less 'things' and better quality.

But my main 'weakness' is stuff for the home. Accessories, furniture , etc. I would rather buy that anyday than clothes or shoes or jewelery. It's really important to me that my surroundings are as beautiful as possible. You know what they say - something like 'kellim nayim, dira na'a veisha na'a marchevem et hada'at'. I have no idea where that's from (can someone help me out?) or if the quote is accurate. But I do believe dira na'a (an esthetic home) does affect your mind and soul.

ewa-jo

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 4:04 am
Good shoes and good coats.... I hate being cold in the winter.

I bought a Gap maternity winter coat, which wasn't cheap, because I wasn't going to freeze.

Also, nice maternity clothes... I feel so *huge* when I'm pregnant, but at least I have something cute to wear.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics