Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
HELP- constant headache from head covering

amother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 3:03 pm
I had quite long hair and when I tie up my hair to cover it the band pulls on my hair and im getting headaches like every day.
today I have cut my hair (not short) but it doesnt seam to make any difference.
I have been married for almost 4 years and this has only just started to be a problem.

any advice??

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 3:17 pm
Maybe you are tying your hair too tight? I never had this problem with short or long hair, so I don't know what to say.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 3:19 pm
to the OP. interesting. I also have just begun to have the same thing, meaning headaches from headcoverings and I have very short hair. sometimes I feel like I have to rip off the hat or tichel (I dont, but the pain is crazy)

I would love to hear what others say about this.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 3:18 am
I find the knitted berets are loose enough and don't irritate... You may need to line them depending on your derech. A light weight snood.

For those who get headaches, think about what happened when you wore a winter hat? What type were you wearing?

BUT if the headaches are really severe, talk to your rav. Sometimes one can get a heter of some sort.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 3:24 am
HindaRochel wrote:
I find the knitted berets are loose enough and don't irritate... You may need to line them depending on your derech. A light weight snood.

For those who get headaches, think about what happened when you wore a winter hat? What type were you wearing?
BUT if the headaches are really severe, talk to your rav. Sometimes one can get a heter of some sort.
interesting HR, that is what I always wear and for some reason about two months ago, after I had a very severe migraine, any type of hair covering hurts. I actually did ask my husband what he thought about talking to a rav about a heter.

hila

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 3:29 am
I have now started wearing only mitpachot (more or less)
then I controll teh tghtness, and I find I can keep one on from morning thru night.
The triangular or long ones work for me.

Whenever I wear a hat (for weddings, or sometimes on shabbat) I end up waiting to pull it off.
I once tried a sheitl - forget it- I lasted about 2 days Sad

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 3:34 am
hila wrote:
I have now started wearing only mitpachot (more or less)
then I controll teh tghtness, and I find I can keep one on from morning thru night.
The triangular or long ones work for me.

Whenever I wear a hat (for weddings, or sometimes on shabbat) I end up waiting to pull it off.
I once tried a sheitl - forget it- I lasted about 2 days Sad
interestingly for me a mitpachat no matter how loose it is hurts even more than a barrette.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 3:40 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:

interesting HR, that is what I always wear and for some reason about two months ago, after I had a very severe migraine, any type of hair covering hurts. I actually did ask my husband what he thought about talking to a rav about a heter.

If this is a sudden onset of a headache you also might want to speak with the doctor... I am not one and I can only guess at the cause. Over-stimulation of the nerve endings (vary what type of covering you use and where you place it on your head) thinner material (perhaps your head is overheating in some ways...) Taking your covering off in the house and even going outside on your own property (some hold that you can be bear-headed on your own property...that's a Rav question)

Someone I know suffers from fibromylagia and can't cover her hair. I think she does use broad hairbands...but I could be wrong..

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 3:45 am
HindaRochel wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:

If this is a sudden onset of a headache you also might want to speak with the doctor... I am not one and I can only guess at the cause. Over-stimulation of the nerve endings (vary what type of covering you use and where you place it on your head) thinner material (perhaps your head is overheating in some ways...) Taking your covering off in the house and even going outside on your own property (some hold that you can be bear-headed on your own property...that's a Rav question)

Someone I know suffers from fibromylagia and can't cover her hair. I think she does use broad hairbands...but I could be wrong..
it was a one time very big migraine (lasted about 3 - 4 days) and then it was gone, but you are correct, I should ask my doctor about that. I cover my hair the least that I have to (never at home and yes, sometimes when I am right outside my door it is off, and I do wear very light barrettes) I will ask the doctor about this. interesting, never thought about it that way.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 3:48 am
If it was a one time thing it may have been something else and the head covering merely exasperated it.

freidasima

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 4:01 am
That's one of the reasons I never wear full cap sheitls. I know that the pressure is too much on my head. I wear a 3/4 cap bandfall made in the style where the sheitlmacher can pull out some of the front hairs to make a bang and it looks like a full sheitl. I take off the clip in the front top and have them put on two clips on the sides. And I so my best to make sure it's a large cap as I have a big head and my hair is now shoulder length and I wear it in a pony tail and clipped up.

For those of you using sheitls (Hila, didn't you wear one?) try a 3/4 cap. They are also a lot cheaper than regular sheitls (bandfalls) and if you don't want them shoulder of longer you can just have them cut however you want.

realeez

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
I had quite long hair and when I tie up my hair to cover it the band pulls on my hair and im getting headaches like every day.
today I have cut my hair (not short) but it doesnt seam to make any difference.
I have been married for almost 4 years and this has only just started to be a problem.

any advice??

I had that in the winter and made sure to not let too much more than 24 hours between washing my hair and after a couple of weeks that seemed to do the trick. For me, I described it more as "my hair hurts" rather than a regular headache, though.

amother

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 10:37 pm
HindaRochel wrote:

Funny, that's how my fibro developed. I bought a new sheitel and wore it to my SIL's chassunah, and since then I've started having headaches when I wear my sheitel for a number of hours.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 11:44 pm
Amother above, could it be something in the sheitel? An allergy or something?

amother

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 12:39 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Amother above, could it be something in the sheitel? An allergy or something?

could be possible. It's a synthetic, so it would be more likely. But, I think it's more due to the separate wig cap I had started wearing with it.

suzyq

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 10:48 am
I was having horrible problems wearing my sheitel and had to cut my hair big time. All the weight on my head was really putting me in a lot of pain, to the point of crying every day and almost getting a heter to not cover my hair at work. What has helped me, besides cutting my hair, is pulling my hair back in the least tight way I can while under whatever covering I'm wearing. For my sheitel, I just tuck my hair under it without even putting it in a pony (when I do a pony, it hurts). If you can pull it back without any clips or ponytails, it might hurt less. Good luck! I know how difficult it can be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics