Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Paying babysitters
Previous  1  2

ForeverYoung

Post Sat, Feb 12 2005, 6:48 pm
sarahd,

1. my kids, normally, do not wake up
2. girls can use the phone
3. I don't mind if they go to sleep -
I always tell my kids there will be a babysitter & they know to wake her up
(I mean, I sleep at night, why shouldn't they?)
4. I would NEVER tell the girl that she isn't working!!!!! or make her feel like that
5. If she had to work more than expected, we either pay a bit more or get a gift - when my close friend got married ( Wink ) we got home around 3am from her hasuna & 1 am 7brachos - I bought for the babysitter a few books she realy wanted (asked her friend).

shayna

Post Sat, Feb 12 2005, 11:07 pm
I use to pay high school girls 5 and sem girls 6 but thank g-d I have kids that baby sit but my daughter who is turning 14 , she gets 5.

sarahd

Post Sun, Feb 13 2005, 2:55 am
Motek wrote:

this article has an interesting perspective:

http://www.aish.com/family/men.....r.asp

Seems pretty controversial, from the comments following it.

Tefila

Post Mon, Feb 14 2005, 1:38 am
Depends on the age I think of the girl whose babysitting. And when one says babysit what exactly does that mean?!

Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 14 2005, 5:36 am
when I was 14 or something, I was babysitting a girl in the afternoon. one time, I had some time, so I folded the laundry, as a gesture to the working mom.
well, she got a completely different message, leaving me the laundry every week when I would baby sit! Exploding anger I was too shy to say something....

nomi

Post Fri, Mar 04 2005, 7:54 am
Here it is so hard to get a babysitter for the evenings since the HS girls always have a heavy schoolwork load and are always studying for exams, have play practice etc. They don't even commit in advance, they say "call me the day of"!! It seems that teenagers are not even interested in babysitting anymore. I pay very well, $7/hr and round up, so that when I start calling for a babysitter, it'll be easier to get one. We don't go out too much because it's so aggravating to call all these teenagers!

supermom

Post Sat, Mar 05 2005, 12:23 pm
I just found out that babysitters in ny are getting paid almost ten a hour. When I was a teenager sometimes I would also get ten an hour I think it has to depend on the person who is paying. I realize that also that teenagers don't really like babysitting lately they rather not.

MatzosMama

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 9:48 am
ok I guess I am the weird one here...we made a deal with the girl next door....if she could sit for us, I would do her mending or her alterations as a trade. Not to mention that I drive her brother to school about 3 out of 5 days to school. We try to barter or trade for sitting services....I use to sit for a woman that was a hair stylest. I would get a great hair style about twice a month and I would get paid 20 bucks for any other days of service not included in the original deal.....

queen

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 10:30 am
I know this is not the norm however my mother felt (and I was fine with it) that I should not charge but babysit when needed as a chesed.

I did grow up in a smaller community so I wasn't being asked to babysit around the clock or even every week for that matter.... but when I DID, I felt so good saying that I don't charge but do it as a mitzva.

IndyMom

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 3:58 pm
For a 7th grader I pay $3/hr (and I am usually home, taking a nap or working) and for a post highschool girl I pay $8/hr. I pay all other ages in between something in between. I feel like the older the girl the more I can trust them so the more they are worth.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 6:41 pm
We once paid two dollars an hour to a girl because that is what she asked for. And we got what we paid for. We came home to find that the babysitter called her mom because she didn't know what to do with a crying baby and her mom took over. And now we pay our babysitters $7 an hour. And they are happy to come and do a good job and I feel very comfortable that they will do their best for us because they want to be invited back. If I paid one dollar an hour to my babysitter, as in the article that Motek cites, she might learn a valuable lesson in chessed but when I call her next time, uh...she might...uh...have to ...be...uh...busy and so sorry... When I was babysitting, I would have not returned to a family who paid 1$ per hour. Especially if I knew they could afford more. I had my chessed jobs and my babysitting jobs and mixing the two up would not have worked. If the family was very poor, I would probably add them to my list of chessed jobs but if I needed to earn some cash and work, I would go to someone else.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics