Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Human Growth Hormone?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 3:21 pm
Is there anyone who has any experiance with Human Growth Hormone (HGH) either for their kids or personally?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 4:14 pm
Yes, I have used it. (And I grew a tiny bit but I was already in my twenties so that is pretty cool.)

Someone else I know used it when they were younger (I did not know him then) and now he is shortish but normal height.

Are you talking about the pill form? Both of those cases I just mentioned were using pills.

I ALSO know someone who got injections when she was younger. She is now about 5'2" but she told me that her parents are even shorter.

Secbeb

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 6:26 pm
My parents considered it for me when I was a child, but in the end my father was adamantly against it. So here I am, all 4"11 1/2 of me. . . but isn't there a cancer risk for taking growth hormones and steroids?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 7:53 pm
OP here. I was just wondering because I think that this will be an issue for my children, especially my older one. My husband and I are both pretty short so I suppose it's genetic. I'm just concerned because my son who is 7 now has been off the charts for heightfor the past few years. He's also thin. we have taken him to an endocrinologist and he has gotten bone age tests done. The tests show that his bone age is 1 1/2 - 2 years behind his age, which Dr.'s say is a good thing. It means he has that much more potential to grow. He is B"H extrememly bright and is a friendly child. I'm just so concerned that it will affect him socially and emotionally. Maybe it is already and he just doesn't tell us. The dr's have told me if we were to do anything it would be when he reaches puberty. But what about in the meantime? I'm SO worried. I hate when people say what he's 7!!? or he so short! Not sure what to do at all.
I thought HGH was only injections. I couldn't imagine him having to do that. Thank g-d there is something that comes in pill form. I wish I could deal w/ this better. Not sure if this will be an issue for my younger one, but he's pretty small too. It makes me sad, I don't know how to deal with this. Also, if I get preg again and it's a boy and same issue to worry about.... I don't know how I could possibly deal w/ that again, I'm afraid that I will be so disappointed. It is so much harder for boys.....

amother

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 7:56 pm
maybe u can make him confident and he'll never have a issue with hight.

mali

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 8:02 pm
I come from a short family. my brother is extra-short, but he has so much self-confidence. his oldest son takes after him, and he also has no self-image problems. it all depends on the message you get across to him. if you don't portray it as a problem, he won't take it as one.

as they say, "good things come in small packages!" Wink

Jo

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 6:16 am
I was on GH injections in my teens from about age 13-15. AFAIK GH does not come in pill form. I don't know if it helped in terms of final height. I am just under 4ft 10 but don't know how tall I would have been otherwise...My parents and siblings are fairly tall but I have a condition that is associated with being short, and even my tall genes didn't help all that much...
I don't know about the US but here in the UK it is only really used if there is evidence of GH deficiency, not for kids who have 'short' genes and no actual pathology.
I have to say that I am not too bothered about being short although I wouldn't have minded an extra few inches. I can imagine that it would be harder for boys though....
As others said, giving him confidence will make a big difference.
Good luck!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics