Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Indicating when full

Kumphort

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 3:07 pm
Does your baby indicate when he is full? Baby B, 7 months can eat and eat, I can feed a Stage 3 jar of food and he still seems to be hungry. I dont want to overfeed him, but on the other hand I dont want him to be hungry

Do any of your babies actually turn their heads away, or somehow indicate when they have had enough? When did they start this?

proudmom

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 3:20 pm
My baby turns her head when she is done she has been doing thing when she was really younge. My daughter also closes her mouth shut or she sticks her tounge out so I wont be able to put anything in her mouth.

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 3:29 pm
nechamam- I think its just a stage. I remember I had the same thing, how long has he been eating solids?

Yael

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 3:46 pm
I never had that "problem" my kids wouldnt eat a proper size serving. if your child really eats and eats and just wont stop I would limit his portion size. but first try feeding him continuosly as much as he would take, even if it means triple the amount you should give, just to see if he ever does get full and turns his head or just likes to eat so doesnt know to stop eating when full. just a warning if he just likes to eat and will never stop he might throw up from eating tooo much!! I am curious though, let me know what happens. based on the results of this "experiment" you'll know what to do.

Kumphort

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 3:53 pm
He is a big spitter upper also, so I dont know if he spitting up from eating too much, or from just baby spitting up.

There doesnt seem to be a specific amount that causes the spitting up.

proudmom

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 4:27 pm
try to burp him in the middle it will prevent him from spitting up
too much

zuncompany

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 4:49 pm
Zu would turn his head. Tev sticks his tongue out.

The baby might be going through a growth spurt. Could be they are really hungry. How is the weight gain? I found with both mine they can eat and eat one day and the next they don't want anything. Or Zu who can eat seven bowls of rice crispes and yogurt and not gain a pound! Are they really active? They might be really hungry! Also did they spit up a lot before they were eating so much solids? Could it be reflux and they are loosing it when spitting up and really are still hungry?

sara

Yocheved_G

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 7:23 pm
My youngest is 6 months, and he also never seems to get full. I make his baby food and freeze it in ice cube trays. I have given him 3 cubes and about a quarter or a cup of rice cereal and he still didn't turn away. My husband suggested just giving him the normal portion (2 cubes and 3 tbsps of cereal) rather than feeding him more and have his stomach growing with such large portions. I think it is good to end the meal, when you know he has had a good serving and he's content, even if he isn't stuffed. It takes the stomach 20 min to digest the food and really feel full.
BTW, how big is your little one? My little guy is huge, so while I want him to eat well and develop nice & strong, I don't want to make him be overweight.

Rivk

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 8:46 pm
I really don't think you should be trying to feed him ad nauseum. Maybe he's just an easygoing baby and will just eat because you are feeding him - not because he is still hungry. Just give him what you think is a normal amount and if he wants more he'll act hungry. As for worrying about a baby becoming overweight - fat babies are healthy babies. Chubbiness is not an indication of how they will be when they get older. In most cases, fat babies slim down on their own and become average weight by two, three or four years old.

Yocheved_G

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 9:21 pm
From all of the information I have read and heard, fat on a baby is not necessarily a good thing; obviously babies are well padded and as they get older they lean out, but a truly overweight baby is not a healthy baby.

Rivk

Post Wed, Feb 09 2005, 3:31 pm
What do you mean by truly overweight?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics