Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Fireworks
Previous  1  2  3  Next

miriam

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:03 am
Our little boy neighbor bashed in our basement window with a rock and my husband replaced the window and now we run linux at home.

Last edited by miriam on Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

hisorerus

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:04 am
LOL- what if I really DO hate Windoze? Too bad I can't use the "Intel Inside, Idiot Outside" line anymore because of the new Macs.

Don't worry Miriam, I won't hurt Shayna! She's my friend!

miriam

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:08 am
Hisorerus, did u see my edited post?

hisorerus

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:10 am
LOL Miriam! Do you really run Linux? I never got to try it, although I was considering running X11 (I think that's a Linux emulator) on my Mac. I have played around a little in Unix, though.

miriam

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:16 am
hisorerus wrote:
LOL Miriam! Do you really run Linux? I never got to try it, although I was considering running X11 (I think that's a Linux emulator) on my Mac. I have played around a little in Unix, though.

Yes I really run linux, my husband insists on it. We even run our own mailserver and accept email directly on our machine.

X11 is not a linux emulator, it a way of running X11 programs, which can be compiled for linux, or macs. (X11 is sort of the gui.)

There is a version of linux for macs, http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/ for example, so you could install it if you really wanted to.

Behind the scenes macs run a version of unix, linux is also a version of unix, so you're not that bad, well, except for the WIMP interface that is....

hisorerus

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:23 am
Yeah I know Mac OS X has a Unix core. That's how I play with it, in the Terminal. You think I have a separate Unix machine or something? BTW did you ever play Dungeons and Dragons or Tetris via Unix? It's an... experience.

I happen to LIKE my wimpy GUI, thank you! Wink LOL I'm one of the real hardcore fanatics who refuse to run a program that doesn't conform to Apple's interface guides. That's why I'd never switch to Linux.

Running your own mailserver, eh? THAT'S pretty intense. Except for modifying a few programs, I actually stay out of the inner workings of my machine. I even uninstalled the Developer tools, despite my one-time hopes of writing my own program. I stick to web code these days.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:36 am
hisorerus, how did you become a techie?

hisorerus

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:47 am
I think it's a mindset. And being around computers a lot, and enjoying playing with them, and needing to get things done, so I sit down and learn a new computer skill! Stuff like Linux I just picked up on the way.

miriam

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:49 am
Did you go to school?

hisorerus

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 1:00 am
Not for computers.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:17 pm
LOL, a thread about fireworks and only the first 2 answers stayed on topic...

Well, I thought I was the most techy with computer stuff, but now I see words that I don't even know..
like linux, and whatever, well I've heard the words before but I don't know what they mean.
however, I learnt computers the same way as hisorerus... in school when we learned computers, I never listened, bec. I knew e/thing and while e/one was listening, I was playing games, or always one step ahead of the class, and w/out ever listening, I passed all tests 100%.
I just love computers and play around alot with them, so I always find out new stuff.

imanut

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 2:59 pm
miriam wrote:
Our little boy neighbor bashed in our basement window with a rock and my husband replaced the window and now we run linux at home.

LOL

roza

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 3:47 pm
On my kid's computer I have Suse Linux already for a year- I find it so much better and safer for kids - it has everything they need - edugames, openoffice, safe internet (impossible to download anything) and many educational programs and more.
I have total control of the look, links and so on.

On the same computer we still have windows from before, at start up there is an option to go to Win or Linux.

Suse Linux is free: http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/

I think linux is so much better then windows.

hisorerus

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 4:02 pm
I'm going to upgrade to Mac OS X.4 IY"H. It has kid security features built in. And there's a great internet filter available. Linux just isn't as pretty. Smile

roza

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 4:10 pm
hisorerus wrote:
I'm going to upgrade to Mac OS X.4 IY"H. It has kid security features built in. And there's a great internet filter available. Linux just isn't as pretty. Smile

don't tell me, it's geeky enough and u can change everything in looks.

http://www.novell.com/products......html

roza

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 4:14 pm
also see here:

http://www.kde.org/screenshots/

hisorerus

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 4:52 pm
Linux can be pretty, but it's not as slick.

shayna82

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 6:56 pm
ok, hisorerus, definitly too much computer talk for me.

enjoy your linux while I surf on my beautiful windows

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 7:22 pm
How do u do window surfing shayna? is it similar to wind surfing?

shayna82

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 8:10 pm
yeah its more like, you take your computer in one hand, and hold onto your surf board, and then you go window surfing. its the best.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics