Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you use those crock pot liners?
Previous  1  2

mosma

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 9:52 am
reynolds bags are everywhere. I buy mine in the local jewish grocery store or shoprite. they are definitely large enough for my big crockpot.

for all of you people saying it's unhealthy: where are u getting this from? I've been googling and I found nothing about it being unhealthy. do you also stay away from plastic "microwave-safe" containers? do you avoid microwaves altogether?
to each his own I'm sure, but I use aluminum pans in the oven all the time, as does everyone I know, without worrying about aluminum leeching into my food.

reed

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 10:09 am
suzyq wrote:
Where can I find the Reynold's ones? Also, the jewish brands I've bought don't fit in my larger crock pot? How big are the Reynold's liners? Do they have ones that fit a 7-8 quart crock pot?

I buy them at Target. I'm sure Shop Rite, Pathmark, or any large chain should carry them.

And yes, they do fit my large rimmed, round 6 quart better than some of the other brands.

reed

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 10:14 am
mosma wrote:
reynolds bags are everywhere. I buy mine in the local jewish grocery store or shoprite. they are definitely large enough for my big crockpot.

for all of you people saying it's unhealthy: where are u getting this from? I've been googling and I found nothing about it being unhealthy. do you also stay away from plastic "microwave-safe" containers? do you avoid microwaves altogether?
to each his own I'm sure, but I use aluminum pans in the oven all the time, as does everyone I know, without worrying about aluminum leeching into my food.

For those who use plastic in the microwave, there's a difference between microwave-safe food-grade plastic, and those that aren't considered safe. I know they're not the healthiest either, but they're considered "safer" than those that aren't food-safe.

Regarding aluminum, disposable tin pans are a convenience many of us couldn't survive without! But when you see certain foods, particularly acidic foods, leaking through the aluminum, you start to wonder how much of it is getting into your food, and thereby into you. Sad I try to use Pyrex or Gladware (plastic again) for acidic foods so they don't burn through the foil.

Merrymom

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 5:06 pm
www.goodhousekeeping.com/produ.....ood-2

sandyb

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 6:14 pm
Has anyone ever tried the Reynolds with the magic mill crockpot? (It is not an enamel piece.) Someone told me that it gets holes, so I bought KC which I am not happy with. I'm wondering if anyone had a good experience with Reynolds>

Mommy F.

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 6:24 pm
I love them!

PtownMommy

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 11:22 pm
I have used Reynolds bags in the past. My only complaint is that they are expensive.
Now I use PanSaver brand liner bags in my crockpot every shabbos. They work just as well as the Reynolds (if not better) and are also significantly less expensive. I order them on Amazon.
I have never had problems with either brand melting or tearing, and I don't do anything special like adding water outside fo the bag, plus I leave the crock on High over Shabbos.
I have no idea if they are safe or not, though. I have started wondering about this myself lately, wondering if they might be the cause of my miscarriages...

anotherima

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 11:19 am
I would be very wary of using liners for the crockpot that are made in China. I would be worried about chemicals and PCB's leaking into the food.
I called Reynolds and they told me all the plastic chemicals they use are under the U.S. government supervision (the ones who moniter the safety in our foods and products).
I would rather not use a liner but if I had to I would NOT use the ones made in china.

gem

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 7:12 pm
I use the Reynolds ones and love them for the easy clean-up!

Happy18

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 7:34 pm
I spray the crockpot with cooking spray before putting everything. Removes the need for a liner and any health concerns.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen