Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Serving Shabbos/Yomtov on dishes and flatwear
1  2  3  Next

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 10:48 am
Even "Before Dishwasher", I used to serve (at least the fish course) on Shabbos and Yomtov on china and silver(plated) flatwear; am I the only one?

Does EVERYONE use disposable paper goods now?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 10:58 am
Nope! I love setting my table with my Shabbos dishes and cutlery and took great pride in picking them out.
My dishes were bought with wedding gift money that was given with the specification to be used to buy something for the shabbos table and my cutlery was a first anniversary present from DH. Now I just need glasses (got a set of 6 as a wedding prez) but I'll probably buy cheap and they break the quickest.
In the summer I actually enjoy washing dishes and in the winter - well it's a small price to pay for having a nice looking table.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 11:03 am
My mother is not into using plastic on yontif and shabbos. So I always use my best china and flatware to make the shabbos table beautiful. Whens a better time to use them if not on shabbos or yontif. Until I got a dishwasher a few months ago I would spend hours on motzei shabbos washing the dishes - wasn't fun.
(unless you are having a crazy amount of guests - let's not make ourselves crazy now).

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 11:24 am
SaraG wrote:
Even "Before Dishwasher", I used to serve (at least the fish course) on Shabbos and Yomtov on china and silver(plated) flatwear; am I the only one?

Does EVERYONE use disposable paper goods now?

I thought EVERYONE uses china and cutlery (flatware for you Americans). I use disposable maybe for one month after I give birth and feel it's not really Shabbosdick.

And ... I don't have a dishwasher.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 11:46 am
I use paper and plastic.

shoy18

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 11:59 am
In my mothers house thier was never paper and plastic on the shabbos or yom tov table, not even plastic table clothes. In my house it is the same I got beautiful flatware and china and crystal why not use it? I used to wash motzei shabbos for an hour, but now Bh I have a dishwasher

Bell

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 12:00 pm
plastic & glass cups & real cutlery

suomynona

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 12:23 pm
I started using (clear) plastic plates and cups this past Rosh Hashana/Succos when I was late in my pregnancy. I was having guests for most meals and I didnt want to spend the whole yom tov standing at the sink.
Well, once I started it is hard to stop.
When I went back to work after I had the baby, I was working on motzei shabbos. So what I did then and basically do now is use real for Friday night (when I usually don't have guests) and if I have guests shabbos day, I use the plastic. I really should get back into using real all the time though. I don't usually have that many guests at a time.
Anyway I have plain white Corel for shabbos, so the clear plastic isn't that much less elegant.
I always use regulary cutlery - can't imagine eating with plastic.

chen

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 2:55 pm
count me in for real dishes and flatware unless we are having more people than we have dishes for. I am slightly tinged green and in general use disposables only when absolutely necessary. that's me in the shul kitchen after the annual dinner, salvaging the "disposable" foil pans and coleslaw containers. (I still haven't figured out what to do with the one-gallon mustard jar salvaged from the dinner three years ago--but I had the giant coleslaw container for years till it finally cracked LOL )

however, I don't even own any china or silver --color me stainless and Corelle all the way.

JMto2

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 2:58 pm
I do not have china but I have Corelle, and yes I use that on shabbos and yom tov without a dishwasher. I think it adds a lot to the table and to the shabbos I do use plastic for the little one.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 4:48 pm
I used to use paper when we didn't have company & china for company. Usually just fam fri night & guests for lunch. Then the kids asked to use dishes,kavod shabbos, how can you say no to that?They will wash fri night .Motzei shabbos I have the dishwasher.

preggymama

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 4:53 pm
I wish I had nice dishes and glasses! I would love to have a nice shabbos table. But I guess for now, its plastic cups and plates for us!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 4:55 pm
I just can't stand doing the dishes. Maybe someday when I get a dishwasher I'll start using real plates and flatware and all those nice salad bowls. Until then it's fancy paper plates!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:01 pm
I would keep a shissel of hot water and soap ready from before Shabbos. Cleanup was easy, if it's only plates from the fish course.

Paper and plastic cost money, Preggymama.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:03 pm
SaraG wrote:

So does the mental institution. Everyone has to decide where she wants to spend her money. :-D

carrot

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:03 pm
I think Mikasa had a big sale yesterday. Well too late now but they do sometimes have great sales.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:11 pm
Crayon, it's not a value judgement, just a suggestion.

To be perfectly honest, the hot water and soap to wash up cost something, too.

shayna82

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:15 pm
I have never used paper for shabbos. only the best for shabbos. I have to say though that I love to wash dishes, so thats not a problem for me. after each cource I bring the dishes in and either wash them for the next day if Im having more guests, or spray off and dump in the washer. most people dont like washing, so it becomes an issue. my mother hated washing dishes, and I love it, dont know why though lol

preggymama

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:24 pm
Quote:

Yes, it does add up and I'm sure that in the long run, real stuff would be cheaper. But for now its only my Dh and myself most meals and I want that when I finally do get dishes, its nice stuff and a full set etc which is a big expense.

shayna82

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:27 pm
well in response to that, I can say what we have. we have a look alike lenox set, that comes with everything. we got it for $100 on one of these bargain sites, and 2 cups came broken, and they gave all the money back to us. so officially we didnt spend a dime on it. Im thinking to expand to another set, and this time get something thats a little better quality.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note