Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Serving Shabbos/Yomtov on dishes and flatwear
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 6:19 pm
sarag, why dont you use the real china for the main course, which is hot? If you want the table to look nice set, just put out the big plates, and cutlery etc, then when you are going to eat fish, give everyone a plastic plate. Or you can put the plastic plates on top, which is what my brother does.

I have a set of china for about 17 people. Big plates, small plates, and soup bowls. When I have more than that I use paperware. (in theory...paperware is expensive where I live, so I rarely have it in the house...sometimes I dont have any and 23 people turn up - 7 of them without bothering to let me know before Shabbos. In those cases I (well, a helpful guest usually) washes up between courses.

I just replaced my glasses, we were down to about 10, so I went out and bought at least 20 new ones. They were only 75c each, so I bought xtra in case of breakages.

Sometimes, if we have, I use paperware on shabbos day. I have a diswasher, but it is at least 3 loads after shabbos until everything is clean, even if I wash the bigger stuff by hand. My plates have deep rims, so they take up 2 spaces on the rack.

Chanie

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 7:57 pm
I use real dishes almost always. Even when serving my kids lunch and dinner during the week. (yes, my 19 month old drinks from a glass cup)
In the beginning it was very hard for me, as I come from a disposable home. But I did it for my dh and now it comes naturally.
For shabbos I had a 8 set and broke a couple so I went out and found a similar 8 setting set, so know I can have even more guest.
(and I don't use plastic on the table either.. we eat on cloth tableclothes)

Chanie

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 7:59 pm
oh yes, we DO NOT have a dishwasher.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 8:52 pm
I use paper dishes, shabbos cutlery and glasses on Shabbos and corelle dishes during the week. In a few months I'll be getting a dishwasher, then I'll probably use dishes on Shabbos. Come to think of it, I'll probably need a fancy china set since my corelle is really weekday looking (orange, red...).

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:43 am
You don't need fancy, it depnds on your taste. Plain white can be dressed up nicely.

I just started cooking in our new apt this week Monday and ran the dishwasher Tues night (2 nights of pots, flatware, and plates).

I have no idea how I'll negotiate Shabbos yet; each load takes a couple of hours and I don't think I'd want to be up all Motzei Shabbos loading and unloading!

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:50 am
I'll put the next load in on Sunday morning.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:03 am
I didn't have real dishes for Pesach & one of the kids asked if we could get. I told him I would get the really nice paper that look like dishes. He said but even inexpensive dishes are still more kavodik & seder is supposed to be the nicest meal of the year. So I went to THe Buzz, on Coney Island, they had some very pretty china pretty cheap. SOme was mor like stoneware, heavy, but others weren't.The truth is the table was nicer.I guess some women here have to wait for their "dishwashers" to grow up a little.Mine work very well.I now have 3 of them.

Bell

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:31 am
Paper and plastic cost money, Preggymama.

So does the mental institution. Everyone has to decide where she wants to spend her money.

crayon--couldnt agree with u more!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:19 pm
SaraG, my MIL puts things in the dishwasher on Shabbos - she has enough for both meals. Then she runs the first load right after Shabbos.

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 1:23 pm
BTW, for anyone doing it, you're not allowed to neatly place the dishes in the dishwasher on Shabbos so you can run a load right away- that's considered preparing for Motzei Shabbos.

You can just toss them in as storage space, and rearrange it Motzei Shabbos.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:11 pm
His, how do you know that? I always learned the opposite.

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:43 pm
Heard it again from Rabbi Shusterman's 39 Melachos lessons.

You learned that you can load a dishwasher on Shabbos?

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 3:00 pm
Something is wrong with my dishwasher's controls. The repairman didn't have the right tool to fix it Rolling Eyes So I serve on plastic, and everyone's happy. Smile ( I think the Shabbos queen is happy too: I get to go to shul Shabbos morning.) There is still plenty to wash up bet. serving utensils, salad and mixing bowls, some cutlery.

Meanwhile, the dishwasher makes a great drying/storage rack, leaving the counter free. It's like having another cabinet.

Emee

Post Wed, Jul 12 2006, 7:33 am
Can you put real china in the dishwasher? I have Mikasa china with a platinum band around it and I wasn't sure you could even put it in the dishwasher?

sarahd

Post Wed, Jul 12 2006, 7:52 am
I think (but I'm really not sure) that once a week is okay to wash china in the dishwasher. I sure hope so because I plan to use my dishwasher for my Shabbos china (once I have one...)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 12 2006, 9:45 am
I think metal stuff on dishes/cups discolors int eh dishwasher.

our d.w. is is not enormous, even if it was big enough to only wash once a week, I wouldn't have enough pots and silverware - and I have a LOT!

LikeMeDoes

Post Wed, Jul 12 2006, 11:59 am
About dishwasher safe china. I'd check on the website of your china. I know mine is dishwasher safe till a certain degree.

ny21

Post Thu, Jul 13 2006, 8:11 am
paper-plastic

somtimes my good stuff.

Chani

Post Thu, Jul 13 2006, 9:24 am
I used to always use china for everything, everyday and shabbos, no plastic tablecloths, etc.. I even got out sterling serving dishes for shabbos.

4 kids later (KAH)...

We eat all week long on disposable. we have a plastic tablecloth for weekday. On shabbos I still try to use china and I do always switch to a fancy tablecloth (with plastic on top), but if I need to use paper I don't beat myself up over it. Oh, and I almost never use my silver anymore because who has time to keep it all clean?

When the children are older, perhaps I'll be able to go back, but for right now it's more important that I be an unstressed happy mom and wife than set an elegant table. Same thing goes for the meals. Our meals are vastly simpler now than they used to be.

realeez

Post Thu, Jul 13 2006, 10:19 am
emee, William Ashleys had in a magazine that the china and crystals are safer in the dishwasher!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note