Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do make your kids wear seatbelts?
1  2  Next

elkayed

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 10:29 am
I have seen it so many times..a father picks up kids from a playgroup, slide open a van door and let the kids climb in and just closes the door and drives away! It's so dangerous...You need to take the extra few minutes to put kids in properly. Once a kid had her head stuck out a window while her father was not in the car and I drove up and had to lift her head up and get her out!! It scares me and sickens me! What do you do? Is it my business to tell parents to strap their kids in? So many times I am dying to!

Last edited by elkayed on Wed, Jul 05 2006, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 10:35 am
My old neighbors who moved here from Israel 2 years ago are like that. the 8, 7 & 5 year old are never strapped in, I can see them standing in the van & ehen I gave them a ride once, they did the same. I made them buckle up. I told them we don't do that in my car. I can't believe that parents don't care. All my kids are in car seats/boosters depending on the age & they'll stay like that until they reach the age limit, whatever that is. I should find out. I can see myself with a 12 year old still in a booster! Smile

I would say something to these parents if I saw it. It's totally against the law & highly unsafe!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 10:39 am
I picked up a friend once and she saw my daughter waiting by the car and immediately asked if I have booster... I told her to look in the back seat.. Kind of sad people assume the worst.

happy2beme

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 10:39 am
maybe the kids buckle themselves in?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 10:44 am
I grew up with the driver not starting the car until every single person was buckled in. There is no excuse not to whatsoever.
And kids that should be in booster seats, should be in booster seats!

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 10:58 am
My family also, infact my daughter once decided that she did not want to have her seatbelt on, so I pulled over near a cop car and asked the cop to come to my car.

Cop "what seems to be the problem mam?"
me "my daughter has decided she does not need to wear her seat belt"
Cop "is that so?"
me "yes"
daughter "I just hate them, it's hot out"
Cop "yes but they keep you safe, and your mom has to sit here until you buckle your seat belt"
daughter "but then we will be late!"
Cop "yes but it's against the law for her to drive with you not wearing it."

Now she's on like safety monitor mode because of it. She complains that the school bus has no seat belt, and it's not safe because she slides off the seat! While I do not like using approaches like that, sometimes kids need to hear it from an authority person other than the parent.

happy2beme

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 11:07 am
mitzvahmom, that is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what a gr8 idea Thumbs Up

red sea

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 11:32 am
LOL LOL I just love that story MitzvahMom Exclamation

timeout

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 12:52 pm
My son has a booster which is great he buckles himself and my daughter is still in a car seat. It makes me feel safer that they are buckled and not moving around in the back.

Now how do u get a husband to wear one all the time other than saying "hello u have a family to think of"

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 12:55 pm
isn't it a Law?

timeout

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 12:56 pm
yes and I hope my DH gets pulled over one day it will teach him a lesson.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 1:43 pm
My dh went to a shiva house where the wife was killed in a car accident. The car hit a tree & she was killed when a branch of the tree fell on the car. It wouldn't have mattered either way. The child in a car seat was absolutly fine. The father was wearing a seatbelt & had the imprint of the shoulder harness across his shoulder & chest nearly a week after the accident.He was told w/o it either he would have gone through the windshheild or the steering wheel would have been impaled in him. From then on dh won't get in a car w/o seatbelt for himself or anyone else.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 1:51 pm
My parents still make me wear the seatbelt if I forget! LOL

goldrose

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 3:59 pm
with us, the concept of no seatbelt doesnt even exist! I remember, though, growing up that we didnt always wear a seatbelt, and then one day my parents decided to crack down on us and make us wear seatbelts all the time. We used to argue that we dont want to wear it, it makes us nauseaus etc...

If you do it as a way of life, from when your kids are babies, and they dont know any other way, things should be much easier!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:39 pm
goldrose wrote:
it makes us nauseaus etc...

that was my excuse too!!
Childhood memories.... LOL Very Happy

soonamommy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 11:51 am
I grew up the same way as Hashem Yaazor- the car does not move until everyone's seatbelts are on. How do you get someone older than you (your MIL, for instance) to buckle up in your car, though? What

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 12:03 pm
For older people, I do the really apologetic "I'm so sorry, I get really nervous when I drive if not everyone is wearing a seatbelt. Do you mind putting one on?" Like they're doing ME a favor.

MOM222

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 6:33 pm
My dd who is 3 1/2 can strap herself in.
Took some practice and sometimes I need to stretch my hand to the back to help her.

Marion

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 6:59 pm
Well, he's still in a carseat, so he doesn't have much choice! But we were rear-ended on Tuesday by a guy driving a 1/2 truck...with 3 young children (all under 5?) in the passenger seat of the cab. You guessed it, NONE of them was buckled!

My grandfather, z'l, never buckled up. Except when I was the driver. We just wouldn't go anywhere otherwise. In fact, I wouldn't even start the motor if he wasn't buckled, and I told him (nicely, of course) that the same was true for everyone.

tzivi

Post Fri, Jul 28 2006, 12:08 am
Ruchel wrote:
My parents still make me wear the seatbelt if I forget! LOL

Lol Ruchel! So does my mother.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics