Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to wear under a cream sweater?

Mrs.K

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 9:08 am
Since I'm fashionably impaired and have always done my own thing, I'm at a complete loss.

I bought an adorable cream colored sweater, babydoll style, V neck, with 3 little buttons.

Something like this a bit, just the buttons don't go all the way down, it's long sleeved, and a creamier color.

http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/ite.....P.jpg

What would you wear underneath that? A shell? What color? Button down shirt? Can one wear white?

I'd think it would be difficult to find anything that's an exact duplicate of this color.

Any ideas? TIA!

Last edited by Mrs.K on Fri, May 28 2010, 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

louche

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 9:13 am
I'd wear a pastel jewel-neck shell that matches the skirt I'm wearing. Pastels will work better than darks because light-over-dark often looks tacky. Not always, but more often than not. White wouldn't be a sin, but I'd stay away from white-and-cream because it generally makes the cream look dirty and old.

I don't think a button-front shirt would look good because that's a tailored look and the gathered skirt makes this garment flirty and feminine.

pinkelephant

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 9:37 am
if u cant find a good creme shell to match, id wear a light pink shirt

Mrs.K

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:09 am
Thank you for your replies. I agree that pastel is a nice touch but unfortunately, for my skin tone, I stay far away from anything pastel, it really looks silly on me.

Tamiri

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:16 am
Peach shirt? You know..... Peaches 'n Cre(a)me? LOL

Barbara

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:17 am
Its hard for me to say without seeing it in person or trying it on, but I'd probably go with a deep tan/flesh colored shirt.

Mrs.K

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:21 am
Tamiri, that made me laugh!

Barbara, I always feel that if I wear something flesh colored, people will mistake me for being naked, from a distance. Maybe it's just me, but I know I've done many a double-take when someone wears a flesh-colored top.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:23 am
What skirt are you wearing with it?

Tamiri

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:23 am
Why not black? I bought a black shirt to go with a skirt I was also buying and the store offered me a crocheted over-thingy in creme, which I didn't buy because it's too much patchka for me, but it looked very nice. It picked up some of the color in the skirt.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:27 am
I'm with Tamiri -- if it's a skirt with black, I would do a black shell, but if it is being paired with a tan/creme patterned skirt, for example, that wouldn't work too well.

(One of the reasons I rarely wear this color...I find it so hard to match a shell underneath.)

If the skirt has dark brown, I'd do a shell in that color.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Fri, May 28 2010, 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:28 am
I have a flesh colored shell that I sometimes wear.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:28 am
What about a brown? Or blue?
I think cream will go with most anything... so I would go with a color that either matches the skirt or that looks good against my face.

poelmamosh

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:35 am
I'd go solid brown/brown or black/black, since my bottom line is always about it being flattering (slimming) as opposed to fashionable.

Mrs.K

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:41 am
Thank you all for your suggestions!

Brown is a really nice idea! Blue too.

I'm happy to see people saying black is okay as well, since I would probably wear it with a black pattered skirt. I even have a black skirt with a cream pattern that may go very well. Thank you so much!

louche

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:49 am
Mrs.K wrote:

Barbara, I always feel that if I wear something flesh colored, people will mistake me for being naked, from a distance. Maybe it's just me, but I know I've done many a double-take when someone wears a flesh-colored top.

Quite so. It's not just you.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:53 am
louche wrote:
Mrs.K wrote:

Quite so. It's not just you.

me too...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 11:44 am
Flesh doesn't mean naked looking. It could mean more cream or even brown.

mltjm

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 1:08 pm
I would go with off white/cream. With a darker color, if the sweater is sheer you will end up with a dark tone coming through from under the sweater.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics