Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Overeating on Shabbos
1  2  Next

Sparkle

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 3:12 am
I have been desperately trying to lose the last 10 pounds for over 3 months now. I lose a bit during the week but always seem to gain back over Shabbos. I'm looking for some tips on how to get through 25 hours without overeating! Anyone?

princessmommy

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 3:34 am
This may be more extreme than you want, but whenI cut sugar out of my diet alltogether, I find that I basically loose my desire to eat more than neccisary. It takes a few weeks to get over the cravings, but then you dont even care to eat dessert etc.
Also cutting down in margarines, oil...etc

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 3:40 am
Make it your goal to say the whole Tehillim over Shabbos. When your mouth and hands are busy, there's less time to eat!

Also, eat s-l-o-w-l-y during the meal, savoring each bite. Make yourself some light and healthy snacks, like vegetable sticks or popcorn, to enjoy during the day.

suomynona

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 5:33 am
I'm on a diet and the way I deal with shabbos is that I don't make too many courses. Especially if I'm not having guests. I make very basic meals. (To tell the truth, I do that even when not on a diet Smile ) I find that I really don't eat that many more calories than during the week.
The diet that I'm on suggests making vegetables a big part of the meal. Put lots of vegetables in your soup. Make a big salad. And make a veggie side dish.
I started putting a piece of chicken in the cholent and I eat that instead of cholent.
Buy or make a low-calorie dessert.
If you must eat cake, I read this suggestion somewhere. Make cake and bake in muffin tins. That way you make sure you eat a limited portion.

willow

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 6:13 am
I have the same problem Crying

klotzkashe

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 6:39 am
Here in Australia we have a quarterly newsletter that Nshei Chabad of Melbourne put out. IN this past edition a member of our community (a man) who is also a personal trainer (and a health and fitness fanatic) wrote how so many balabustes cook 4x the amount of waht is necessary for Shabbos and how it's unnecessary because it can lead to health problems c'v and of course the bal tashchis of throwing out alot of leftovers. He challenges people to change the trend of overcooking nad putting out elaborate feasts on shabbos and yom tov and to cook sensibly.
I found his article very interesting especially since I have tried to cut down costs of shabbos bc I was realising that shabbos would sometimes cost us in excess of 100 dollars each week (and we only have 2 kids and one is 3mths old!!!)

try making only one type of fish, one type of salad and try not to have lots of cake and cookies around the house. they are the killers for me.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:38 am
Go for a walk after each meal, instead of going to sleep.

Eat less during the week and in general, increase your activity level.

As we age, weight gain is more likely; plan around it.

happymom

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:03 am
klots mine was cositng 150! Its so expensive. but I did cut down alot. I also like to make only whats necessary. it still cost me 100 dollars or more, and I only ahve one kid.... the truth is though I think things here in crown heights are very overpriced and thats prob why it costs so much Rolling Eyes

Sparkle

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:00 pm
It's true - Shabbos really is so expensive. I guess that cutting down will benifit the checkbook and my waistline. I just need to get DH to agree as he likes having a big spread for guests and maintains that money spend for Shabbos and yontif isn't predetermined on R"H!

Thank you ladies for all your suggestions. There are some really good ones that I will plan on implementing. I esp. like the walk after each meal and chicken in the cholent!

chen

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:25 pm
I serve 5 or 6 different vegetable salads, most made without oil or mayo. kugel OR potato salad OR cholent, not all 3. Juice, not soda, diluted with seltzer or water. fat-free chicken soup loaded with garden vegetables, not noodles. chicken cooked without the skin, and either simmered in a fat-free sauce like tomato or soy, or baked, not fried or browned in oil. a platter of the nicest fresh fruit I can find for dessert.

It helps to get out of the house--and don't buy what Weight-watchers calls "red-light" foods, I.e., foods you know you will binge on. If you can't resist Linzer tart, don't allow it in the house! Lifnei iver lo sitein michshol.

$100-150 for shabbos and you have only a couple of children? WHAT are you serving?

Sparkle

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:32 pm
Quote:
$100-150 for shabbos and you have only a couple of children? WHAT are you serving?

It doesn't matter how many kids you have - it matters how many guests you have!

chen

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:49 pm
mom22 wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't matter how many kids you have - it matters how many guests you have!

then saying "shabbos costs $X and we only have Y kids" is a misleading statement. obviously if you have 3 kids and 20 guests shabbos is going to cost more than if you have 10 kids and 4 guests.

cl

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 8:12 am
Dh has a very generous nature an has influenced me on the topic of spending for shabbos and yom tov. We really believe that money spent on shabbos and yom tov does not take away from ur parnossa and BH we have not suffered financially by splurging a bit for shabbos.
Whereas during the week I compare prices and bargain buy for shabbas I will choose the tastiest rather than cheapest product.
I dont buy / make tonnes of different fish or chicken dishes cos I hate to throw out food but especially with a long shabbas I know what doesnt get eaten by the main meal gets eaten by shalosh seudos.
When im dieting I will make healthier salads, rather than potato salad or coleslaw which is loaded up with mayo. A big veg platter with a lo-fat dip means I can munch my way thru the first course without filling up too much on challa. And I make a fruit dessert rather than ice cream.
I dont deprive myself of things I like cos having croutons in my soup for ex, ads to my enjoyment of it but I can have 1 spoonful rather than 5. and same with cake shabbos morning, if I buy a small one then we share that out an then its finished.

technic

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 8:19 am
of course u could always (cvs) convert - then ud only have ONE day a yr 2 worry abt!!! LOL

<ducking>

Flowerchild

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 8:21 am
I take pills they supress hunger, so far so good.

gali

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 8:02 pm
I tend to overeat on Shabbos too. There's SO much food!!
But I'm able to keep my weight down because I watch myself during the week and work out on my eliptical.
For Shabbos, I allow myself to eat extra, because I know that I'll eat normally during the week. Once a week overeating wont make you fat, but consistent overeating will. And I can't praise exercising enough, if you are committed to it, you will defnitely see the pounds melt away.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 9:58 pm
lilly are u sure those are safe?? Confused

cindy324

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 10:09 pm
Lilly, what are they called, are they prescription, and mostly where can I get them???

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Jul 12 2006, 12:18 am
amother no I dont know if they are safe, but its all herbs so....

cindy no they are not prescription, its called hoodia, its made from a cactus plant I beleive. also there are pills which come from green tea extract, but those just burn fat, basicly when you eat it brakes down the food faster I am def. in the bathroom more often now lol, and when you take it with food, you feel very full, so you dont snack and you end uo eating less. I just started, so we shall see, I have a like a 3 months supply, we shall see.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 12 2006, 9:52 am
you don't have to eat all the shabbos food; and you don't have to make a ton of food that you love and will tease you.

either make what your hsubaNd and kids particularly like, or don't make a lot of choices.

when I dieted, I didn't....it's not that big a deal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise