Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Grape leaf rolls

faigie

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 6:45 pm
can anyone please share a good recipe for those kind of rolls.. hopefully made with brown rice?

morahaviva

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 1:56 am
DH makes them a couple times a year - not often enough!! I dont know the exact recipe, he uses beef and rice, and puts lemon juice and water in the pot, a couple of lemon wedges, then puts the rolled leaves in concentric circles from out to in. then he places an upside down plate on top of them, to keep the rolls tight while they cook. If you want an exact recipe, message me and I will ask him.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 9:48 am
Do you want the recipe for meaty ones or the parve ones? I have the latter, straight from my memory.

Enough to stuff about 2-3dzns

1 jar/pack grape leaves in brine
Filling:
1 medium onion, finely chopped
a handful of pinenuts
1/4 cup currents (or chopped raisins)
1 teasp chopped fresh dill
1 teasp dried mint leaves, crumbled
1.5 cups long-grain easy-cook rice
3 tbsp tomato concentrate (paste)

First wash and soak grape leaves. If they come in a jar, it's usually rolled up tightly so ease out gently.
Separate them and let soak in cold water for several hours, changing water once after an hour or so.
Don't throw away the broken leaves.

Rinse rice in water, to get rid of excess starch (basically so that the water is not murky). Drain well.
Pour enough boiling water and let soak at least 30min. Drain well.
Sautee finely chopped onions with a bit of oil till transparent but before browned. Toast and coarsely
chop pinenuts. In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients.

Place a de-salted leaf, with the STEM side facing you, the VEINY side up, the darker/smoother side down.
(Don't get this mixed up!) Place about 2teasp filling in the middle of the leaf. Fold the stem end over,
and roll it up folding/tucking in sides into a neat, oblong-ish pillow. (You may have to "gather" up the
split ends of a leaf). My filling doesn't expand that much as the rice is pre-soaked but don't pack it too tight.

Place stuffed grape leaves, seamside down, TIGHTLY in a non-metalic casserole. Pour 1 cup of water
with juice from 1 lemon. Bake 170C for 90-120min covered. Can be served hot or cold, actually tastes
better the next day.

This is a bit of a cross between Greek-Turkish dolma (which uses pine nuts and raisins) vs Lebanese-Syrian yebra (which doesn't use pine nuts or raisins).

faigie

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 6:36 pm
thanks!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics