Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Frum Pronunciation
1  2  Next

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:08 am
Have you noticed that (some) frum people pronounce or accent things differently than the rest of the world?

Like how do frum people say "Boro Park"? We stress the first word and say:

BORO Park

while outsiders say: Boro PARK!

I have other examples. Do you?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:19 am
ds went 2 chabad preschool (we're MO) and when he was done we had 2 "de-oi" him - teach him moshe instead of moishe, torah instead of toirah... Exclamation

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
ds went 2 chabad preschool (were MO) and when he was done we had 2 "de-oi" him - teach him moshe instead of moishe, torah instead of toirah... Exclamation

LOL my aunt, thank G-d is becoming frum, has begged me to teach her how to say Torah like that Toirah.. Honestly, I did not realize I was saying it like that until she pointed it out

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:11 pm
Quote:
ds went 2 chabad preschool (were MO) and when he was done we had 2 "de-oi" him - teach him moshe instead of moishe, torah instead of toirah

My DD extends the "oi" into English words too ie "most" is pronounced "moist" LOL

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:16 pm
It was hysterical to listen to my 2 dds - one in Chabad preschool, one in a modern Orthodox elementary school - sing the same song but pronounce the taf/saf differently ie. mesuka/metuka when singing about Rosh Hashana.

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:18 pm
Meema2Kids wrote:
My DD extends the "oi" into English words too ie "most" is pronounced "moist" LOL

Tongue Out macaroini LOL

though maybe it wasn't clear from my thread title and initial post, I mean how frum people pronounce ENGLISH words!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:21 pm
Motek wrote:
Have you noticed that (some) frum people pronounce or accent things differently than the rest of the world?

Like how do frum people say "Boro Park"? We stress the first word and say:

BORO Park

while outsiders say: Boro PARK!

I have other examples. Do you?

its interesting that you gave such a thing as an example b/c americans put the emphesis on the first sylable and israelis put it on the last sylable

Tefila

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:24 pm
lol you r on a roll today Very Happy

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:50 pm
Motek, I don't think I put any more emphasis on one word, I say both with the same emphasis.. just boro park.

chen

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:51 pm
It's not really an issue of frum vs. nonfrum but local vs. furriner. If you're from there, frum or not, it's SOUTH Bend--if you're an outsider, it's South BEND. To a Noo Yawkuh it's BORROH Paak (as in "asher borroh sosson vesimchoh"), to a midwesterner Burrow PARK, to a Hungarian BUDA Pahk (sister city to Buda-Pest).

There is, however, a frum Brooklyn accent which involves a whole lot more than Boro PARK vs. BORO Park. In fact, there are at least two, which include, among other things, completely different intonation patterns, hard vs. soft L's and R's and different vowel pronunciations. There is the pseudo-European version in which R and L are pronounced more like the Israeli resh and lamed, and "and" is pronounced "end" . There is also the American-Brooklyn version in which final R's are dropped, "and" is pronounced "ehyund", "fine" is pronounce "foine".

These are not merely different accents but are well on the way to becoming different dialects entirely. Case in point: I called the Housekeeping Hotline and could not understand a word the woman was saying. Not a word! By concentrating very, very hard and replaying the message, I was able to sort of gather the general gist of what she was saying. I think.

I am always amazed by BT's who start out sounding like radio announcers and then adopt the Brooklyn-frum accent. I know exactly why they do it, but it is not a mitzvoh to sound like you just got off the boat when you, your parents and possibly your grandparents were born in this country. Rabbi Dr. Abraham J. Twerski, aka HoRav Avrohom Twerski, loses not one iota of credibility due to his Midwestern accent.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:55 pm
chen wrote:
I am always amazed by BT's who start out sounding like radio announcers and then adopt the Brooklyn-frum accent. I know exactly why they do it, but it is not a mitzvoh to sound like you just got off the boat when you, your parents and possibly your grandparents were born in this country.

I don't think it's conscious...in lots of cases people don't realize they're doing it.

My accent has changed slightly based on the cities in which I've lived.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 1:02 pm
Chen, ur post really made me laugh.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 1:19 pm
What I associate to a frum pronunciation would be either a strong Ashkenazic accent (replacing t by s, a by o or u, o by oy...) or a strong Sephardic accent (very strong "ch").

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
ds went 2 chabad preschool (we're MO) and when he was done we had 2 "de-oi" him - teach him moshe instead of moishe, torah instead of toirah... Exclamation

LOL I have the exact opposite problem. I am lubavitch and I send my kids to a school where they are taught the sefardic pronounciation. My husband goes crazy when he listens to my dd read hebrew with her sefardic accent.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 6:41 am
Frum people definitely have different pronunciations. Like they say "fivdy-one" or "sigzdy-one" instead of "fifty-one" and "sixty-one", or they have that certain Boro Park or Williamsburgh accent.

I think this is true for Jews all over. In the place I live, I can understand the Jews when they speak the local language, but not the non-Jews.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 7:03 am
Where I live, a lot of the Chassidish community say fifteh-one, sixteh-one etc.

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 7:26 am
Living in Israel, I'm just working on remebering most of my english words rather then pronouncing them Exclamation Wink Wink

mali

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 7:34 am
some of the words I remember saying differently:
first of all, pronounced as "firs-of'll"
also, there's a stress on letters or vowels that others don't pronounce, like: manhattan - the boro parkers say it entirely, and other new yorkers say "manha'in" - you can't really hear the t's. or maryland, pronounced "merry-land". or saying "a man, a cat" pronoucing it "ay man", whereas, most people would say "uh man".
I remember learning homonyms in fourth grade, and the teacher told us that, here, hear, hare and hair are all homonyms. today I disagree with her.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:05 am
I know this isn't pronunciation, but this just came to mind:

Frum people say "close the light" instead of "turn off the light", and call the ground, the floor.

And it really irks me when people call their hair, hear!!!!

realeez

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:12 am
Where I live (not NY) ppl who consider themselves very yeshivishe adopt a NY accent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics