Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Making something from nothing = Pesach recipes
Previous  1  2  3

Sunshine

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 4:21 pm
Sara, I heard that the reason why some don't eat garlic is because they used to grow it near the wheat(maybe the barley-I'm not sure which grain) and despite the fact that now it is not done like that ppl continue to not use it.

rydys

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 3:34 pm
the reason for garlic is that they used to store it in vats full of wheat kernels to keep it fresh.

zuncompany

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 4:04 pm
Two things though- a) its not now and b)I was told by a very trust worthy person (no, I will not mention names because it was said in private when I asked them) that it is not a taka Lubavitch minchag.

sara

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 4:42 pm
maybe not but we still dont eat garlic on pesach.

zuncompany

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 5:35 pm
but why? there is no reason not to now is what I am saying. I still don't use it, but I would like a real reason that makes sense for now. I would like to actually understand why I must keep this way.

sara

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 9:07 pm
its just one of those things in life that always stays the same whether or not the reason still exists...

gryp

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 3:04 pm
old thread revived

chanab

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 1:21 pm
Great thread. We don´t use any of the above INCL sugar . A great recipe which I made last year:
Beat eggwhites and mix with blended bananas and a pineapple. You can either freeze this for a cold desert or bake for a sweet hot soufflé. Its surprisingly delicious.

chen

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 1:40 pm
sarahd wrote:
RG wrote:
sounds handy. is it electric?

nope, hand, which is why you have to rice the potatoes when they're hot. Also, it's handy if you have a man around to squeeze it, because it takes a lot of upper body strength.

Or get a Foley mill (brand name) which looks like a pot with a perforated bottom and a paddle in the middle connected to a crank handle. It is now made in stainless steel, far superior to my own of tinned steel, which rusts. You can make excellent applesauce and baby food with it, too. Instead of squeezing the food through, you turn the crank, which turns the paddle, which pushes the food through. Even a child can do it, and they have a lot of fun taking turns doing so.

see http://www.goodmans.net/item.a.....=FRGL for picture

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 2:01 pm
You mean a food mill. I think it's also called a passe-vite. I have one and I hate it. It was pretty cheap though, so maybe that's why it doesn't work properly. My mother's been using hers for nearly 45 years and seems to like it. I like the ricer better though for potates.

mali

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 2:27 pm
sarahd wrote:
How are your creams chometz? Most creams I know of use margarine, confectioners sugar and such. If you use those things on Pesach, what's the problem?

margarine is kitnios!
but you can make a chocolate frosting.

mali

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 2:44 pm
and for those of us that really don't use anything (oil, sugar, spices, potato starch) here are some ideas:
salads:
carrot salad (sweetened with orange juice)
cucumber salad (lemon juice and onions)
beet salad
avocado salad
israeli salad (peeled vegies)
vinaigrette (beets, potatoes, onions and carrots)
apple and carrot salad
egg salad
we come up with new concoctions every year.

fish - you can add some wine to the "seasoning"

soup accompaniment:
"egg noodles", made of thin crepes (you can use the "juice" from the potato kugel to get some starch in) cut into thin lukshin.

we add fresh fruit juices to chicken/meat for variety.

shanie5

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 2:49 pm
mali- they make margerine that is kosher for pesach- so not kitniyos. works okay, but not as well as the real stuff.

Tovah

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 6:53 pm
Potato starch is the easies thing to make, especially if you eat alot of potato kugels. Just squeeze out the potatoes before adding the eggs, let stand for 5 hours, rinse off, let stand again for 3 hours, and use!

Tovah's mother

sunflower mom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 4:16 pm
how about a tricolored/layered kugel?
1. potato layer
2. zucchini layer
3. sweet potato layer

fruit salad
ices - freeze orange juice, grape juice
applesauce
banana ice cream - sweetened with cooked sugar

goulash