Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Eggs in cholent - I need help!
1  2  Next

stem

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 12:29 pm
I would like to put some eggs in my cholent this week, but I have many questions:

Do I put them in raw or hard-boiled?
Do I wrap them in foil first, or not?
How do I serve the eggs? Whole? Egg salad? If egg salad, is there a specific recipe?

Thanks!

Cookie Monster

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 12:36 pm
I put raw eggs into my cholent right before Shabbas. The turn brown and delicious! I serve em cut in half.

louche

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 12:39 pm
Cookie Monster wrote:
I put raw eggs into my cholent right before Shabbas. The turn brown and delicious! I serve em cut in half.

Whole in the shell, I assume?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 12:42 pm
I also put raw eggs, in the shell, in our cholent; using an odd number. You want to fully cover them so they'll get really brown.

Shelled, leftover hard boiled eggs will get rubbery.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 1:25 pm
Is this a sefardi thing to do, it's under sefardic food? A friend of mines ashkenazic mother does this.

Chloe

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 1:35 pm
I put it in the eggs already cooked and still in the shell into the cholent. I serve it either whole, half or mashed, depending on the request of my little boss Smile .
I also wonder why this is in the Sephardic section.

stem

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 1:38 pm
I guess I put it in the sephardic section because I am Ashkenazi and don't have the minhag of putting eggs in the cholent. The first time I came across this is when we ate at an Israeli sephardic neighbor.

Cookie Monster

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 1:38 pm
louche wrote:
Cookie Monster wrote:

Whole in the shell, I assume?

Yeah LOL

stem

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 1:40 pm
Chloe, what would be the benefit of cooking the eggs first? I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning for the method differences.

chatz

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 3:17 pm
stem wrote:
Chloe, what would be the benefit of cooking the eggs first? I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning for the method differences.

I also sometimes put in eggs - cook them, peel them, and stick them in. I don't find them rubbery (as CM mentioned) at all.

I cook them so I can peel them. I don't want shells in my cholent.
(not sephardi, btw)

saraleah2010

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 3:21 pm
I put mine in whole, raw, and they are great. I serve them in the shell and let everyone figure out how to get to the soft, brown goodness. YUM. They are especially good if you are doing a cholent with a little bbq sauce swirled in (fun in the summer!)

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 5:22 pm
I've done every method. I put it in raw, I've cooked it first and peeled it. I like the peeled method way more because the eggs really have a delicious taste. However, if they are not immersed in the water, the white part is almost impossible to chew.

zzzz

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 6:52 pm
It can be put in either raw or cooked and can be served as you like. I know someone that puts it into the chulent in a food storage bag.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 6:57 pm
but then it won't get brown, and it's not nec. healthy to eat hot plastic either.

yiddishe vayb

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 7:23 pm
why do some people have egg pots?

freidasima

Post Sat, Jun 12 2010, 3:09 pm
I never saw ashkenazim do it unless they learned it from sefaradim, it's called haminados. My dh likes it so I would put raw eggs in a very well washed shell into the cholent covered with whatever and it would cook through and get brown. You serve it in the shell so there are no shells in the cholent.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Jun 12 2010, 7:09 pm
I put raw eggs but they're cooked through by the time you serve. That makes more sense as you want eggs to absorbe the aroma and colour of hamin. You serve eggs separately, still in shells, so the guests can peel on their own.

Another way of doing brown eggs is without cholent. You put odd number of eggs in a saucepan with a lid, cover with enough cold water and add salt, ground pepper, LOTS of onion skin (brown bits), a tea bag or ground coffee. Cook as long as you want. After an hour or so, you can take the eggs out (which has already hardened), just crack them but keep the shells on. You'll get lovely marbled brown eggs.

groisamomma

Post Sat, Jun 12 2010, 10:11 pm
I also put my eggs into cholent-raw, with shells, no foil.

life'sgreat

Post Sat, Jun 12 2010, 11:35 pm
Yiddishe Vayb wrote:
why do some people have egg pots?

Because egg shells tend to leave some spots/stains.

morahaviva

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 12:24 am
I put them in raw - but make sure to wash off the shells before putting them into the pot
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics