Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim "baskets"

imaamy

Post Thu, Feb 10 2005, 9:03 am
At our school we have a major shaloch manot fundraiser. The baskets are delivered to each family's home and are quite nice. I look forward to getting them. Each family can select another family's name for about $4 their name goes on the card with the basket. One of the moms at the school thinks that the baskets don't fulfil the mitzva because the items in the basket aren't wholly owned by an individual and because that individual doesn't deliver the basket in person to the recipient. I'm just curious what people think and what are the customs at your shul or school?

Didi

Post Thu, Feb 10 2005, 9:47 am
We do this in my shul and our Rav says that you are NOT being mikayem the Mitzvah of Mishloach Manot.

sarahd

Post Thu, Feb 10 2005, 9:57 am
Then again, you're mekayem the mitzvah by giving manos to one person. For all the rest, you can use this idea.

Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 10 2005, 10:04 am
I agree with sarahd. if that possibility existed here, I would use it, as in that way I could reach more people. but, who am I kidding, no way that's happening here! we are one of the very few family's making and sending them.....what we get is emberrasing....but hey, it's the mitzva that counts! Smile

Anny

Post Thu, Feb 10 2005, 11:09 am
the tru mitzva is to send it via shaliah,
so we make sure to 'send' at least 1 through somebody Smile

besides that , communal misloah manot save a lot of $ & time!

mother of 2 princess's

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 6:22 pm
actually I was just thinking about this our schools also doing the same thing this year as a fund raiser and our rov says the same thing
but if its suppoting the school I may do it and send to a few ppl this way and freinds out of school make my own!!!

micki

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 7:13 pm
ha so get this one. here they do "in lieu of shaloch manos" so for $4 per name they add it to the list and every family gets a peice of paper saying these families gave you "shaloch manos" ok so its a nice peice of paper.
and the school keeps all the monies they made as a fundraiser.
if they would give a real basket of food I'd understand this idea. but to give a piece of paper?

and the rav even makes an announcement that this is not a kosher shaloch manos.

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 9:30 pm
I actually like it.
No time/ $ wasted & people feel good b/c you made a donation in their name/ instead of giving them junk.

This year Purim is so short, I think I'll get a bunch of them.

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 4:10 pm
why does everyone (not directed to any of you posters, really directed to ALL of us frum Jews) feel like they need to give shalach manos to everyone they know?!?! why don't we give to one person?

Tefila

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 4:44 pm
Quote:
why don't we give to one person?

Coz then who do you choose so there won't be insulted people out there, wish it were that simple though Confused

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 9:02 pm
Freilich, you just typed it faster than I!!!

yet, not to insult anybody!

I'm doing lots of cards this year!!!

And in the future years too - saves time & $ + $ goes to a zedaka

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 4:32 am
The point of sending mishloach manos is to increase good feeling and achdus between Jews (since lack of achdus caused the gezeira of Purim.) Therefore, people try to send to as many people as possible and don't (crabbily) look to get away with sending less. Of course, there has to be a limit, especially monetarily speaking, but why pride yourself on doing the minimum?

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 5:28 pm
okay, sarahd I like your answer! now, all you mothers, send me your addresses!!!!

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 5:35 pm
Atchually 0613 you may have something there. Why don't we pm atleast 3 people and wish them a happy purim prob though how will it coordinate that we don't do the same ones Confused
Idea Or send Yael a shalach manos gift. Ok got to be worked on. Any sensible practical ideas anyone Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics