Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim costumes -need cute and easy idea for toddler
Previous  1  2  3  Next

CS

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 7:07 pm
I'm starting to panic about costumes too - does anyone know a site where you can get instructions on how to make the costumes - I am not handy with sewing, but it's important that I make the costumes good enough that the boys forget they want to be ninjas and love being Jewish heroes.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 8:08 pm
the Lubavitcher Rebbe said it is unbecoming for a Jewish child to play the role of Haman in a play. (even for money):

"In certain places it's the convention that children are organizing a "Purim play" whence they are enacting the story of the Megillah. So, as they need those who will play the role of Mordechei, Esther, Charvona, they likewise need someone who will play and enact the role of "Haman" - to speak his words etc.

When they approach the boy or the girl: How come you play such a role - to speak the words of Haman, when you yourself call him the evil Haman?

The child replies: That deep in his heart he knows that the words he utters (the words of Haman which he acts) don't belong to a Jew, G-d forbid, yet since they promised him some money for his role, he is willing to deviate from his real self for a short while, and repeat Haman's words!

And furthermore does the child justify himself. He is after all still a minor, prior to Bar Mitzvah (or Bat Mitzvah) so it's really not that a big of a deal . Moreover he uses in his defense: Some of the money he will even donate to charity!

When you insist and ask the child: Okay, you want to take the role to make some $$, but why are you so invested in that role? Why are you doing it with such fervor, acompanied with hand and feet motions and gestures?

The child replies: When I act my role as Haman with the full spirit and thunder, loud with enthusiasm - I will be respected by my parents and friends, for everyone will recognize my talents as an actor who can play even in a theater...". End of Sicha.

From the quotes above (and more in the sicha, which was said very forcefully) it seems quite clear that the Rebbe is against a Jewish child's assuming that role for any reason or purpose.

It also seems from the sicha, that any role of any character in history who verbalized the annhilation (as Hitler) of the Jewish people, shall not played by a nice Jewish boy!

BlumaG

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:25 pm
I got a hot glue gun, cost $2 at michaels n glue was $1 for 18 sticks, I couldnt b bothered seweing so I used that it was soooo easy.

chabadnick

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:38 pm
I have a question...on wednesday I will have to dress up for my schools purim party...any ideas for an adult!

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:55 pm
funny wig, husband's tie, cool sun glasses & some costume jewlry

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 10:29 pm
Quote:
funny wig

w/h baseball hat on top Tongue Out

raizy

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 10:54 pm
I just tried on the kids costumes today .it was an exuses for all the kids to go to sleep late. my oldest son is a chahon goadel. I bought it in saverite . my two middle kids one is the kallah (the boy) he has long gourges hair . the chosson is my dauther. so I didnt have to spend to much on costumes only for my oldest and my youngest is a ladybug that I have been using for the last five years on all my babys. it costed alot of money and it was worth every penny. 25 $

CS

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 12:02 am
Motek - in my son's class, the teacher dressed up a broom stick to look like Haman - very ingenious and now they never have a problem when they act out the play

Motek

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 12:14 pm
great idea - shows that there are solutions if you're looking for them!

hadasa

Post Sat, Mar 19 2005, 12:18 pm
CS - Thank you for that idea!!!!

sarahd

Post Sat, Mar 19 2005, 3:38 pm
In 5th grade, I was assigned to play Haman (or maybe it was Antiochus, don't remember which month we made a play) and after a couple of rehearsals, I told the teacher I was uncomfortable with the role. She was really annoyed at me and let me know it ("Oh, don't suddenly turn frum on me") and not being the stand-up-for-myself type, I played it but I felt awful. I always wondered if I was justified in my objection, or just trying to show off my "frumkeit", but now I see I was justified. Thanks for that post, Motek.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 6:13 pm
you're welcome Wink

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 6:15 pm
Very Happy

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 6:25 am
Any ideas for a theme for two girls, one 7 months old and another 3.5 years old?

BlumaG

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 8:47 am
my girls are 9 months and 2, I am dressing htem up as shabobs candles, now rereading this thread and see someone already said htat idea I guess I subconciously remembered it
I am doing white shirts and puff painting hte brocho on the baby and making a sign for my bigger girl, making silver apron/skirt with slits so the black underneath will contrast, might make tye dye white and black tights just for fun and for a hat either a crown with a flame for big kid and some kind of felt hat to hold flame for baby

red sea

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 9:50 am
Can anyone provide directions to a person who can't sew except a button how to make a cape for achashveirosh?

mother48

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 10:54 am
easy! get a big piece of cloth, pin at collar. wallah! a cape.

if you want to be fancy, then saftey on a trim, or better yet, let your child decorate it.

lucky

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:21 pm
red sea wrote:
Can anyone provide directions to a person who can't sew except a button how to make a cape for achashveirosh?

Glue gun!! LOL

chen

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:31 pm
mother48, lucky--you're my kind of costume designers! I suggest low-melt glue gun if you want to be able to remove and reuse the trim.

For a very small child, a 24" or larger square scarf makes a dandy cape.
whatever you do, do not tie around neck! affix to collar or to shoulders.

chen

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:40 pm
chabadnick wrote:
I have a question...on wednesday I will have to dress up for my schools purim party...any ideas for an adult!

maid: black skirt, hose, blouse; frilly white apron, white frill on head. feather duster.
waitress: white blouse, black skirt, black bowtie, plain white apron with pocket, pen behind ear, small memo pad in pocket. menu or serving tray if desired.
"The shadow": dress all in black, head to toe, including black gloves. Black face paint if you can stand it.
Mime: dress all in black except white gloves, white face paint, red lipstick. don't talk.
Nun: black sweater, skirt, hose, shoes. Plain wedding band, no diamonds. Nun'sVeil: take a child's lightweight elastic-waist black A-line skirt (or a very plain slip without lace trim.) take a 4-6 inch -wide strip of white fabric or a white rectangular scarf. fold over waistband of skirt. sew, pin or glue in place, leaving ends free to tie behind your neck like a tichel. Instaed of the tzelem, wear a menorah medallion.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics