Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Compare THIS to Rubashkin!

bubby

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 10:01 am
But of course I forget...Rubashkin is a Chassidic Jew. And he couldn't "co operate" as he can't be maaser on any Yid & who knows if a word here or there would have resulted in that (assuming, of course, he had any guilt or intent to cause harm in the first place.) I am SO FURIOUS!

Madoff Accomplice Freed on Bail
(Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010)

A convicted accomplice to Bernard Madoff’s $65 billion dollar fraud has been freed on bail in exchange for his continued cooperation with the FBI and prosecutors who are trying to track missing investor funds.

Frank DiPascali, 53, walked out of federal court surrounded by FBI agents and US marshals after being granted $10 million bail in February. A waiting Chevy Impala then drove the convicted swindler off – presumably to be re-united with his family.

Looking weary, DiPascali was wearing jeans, a grey t-shirt and his hair was long and curly. He did not answer NBC New York reporter Jonathan Dienst’s questions about what happened to the billions he helped steal or whether he thought he deserved to be sent home in exchange for his cooperation in the Madoff investigation.

DiPascali must meet a series of bail conditions, including living under 24-hour-a-day house arrest and wearing an electronic monitor, as he awaits sentencing for his role in the massive fraud.

DiPascali’s attorneys offered a “no comment” when they left the court and were asked about their notorious convicted client being let out of prison.

It was last August that DiPascali, Madoff’s finance chief, pleaded guilty to helping cheat investors for more than 20 years. He faces up to 125 years in prison when he is sentenced.

Last year, Judge Richard Sullivan had rejected a first request for bail, but in February he reversed course after prosecutors said DiPascali had provided invaluable assistance in detailing Madoffs fraud.

Investigators have said DiPascali was instrumental in helping them bring charges last year against two former computer programmers.

Family and friends helped DiPascali raise the bail money and non-relatives agreed to risk $1 million in retirement savings to help the man already convicted of lying to investors.

DiPascali had said that before the Ponzi scheme unraveled he had always hoped Madoff would find a way to make enough money to repay investors.

“I knew it was criminal and I did it anyway,” DiPascali told Judge Sullivan.

Sullivan originally ordered DiPascali to jail immediately and said he would consider reducing his sentence if he cooperated with the FBI.

DiPascali and his wife, who have four children, also must forfeit all but $300,000 of their assets.

There was no comment from U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara about DiPascali’s release.

(Source: NBC New York)

Barbara

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 10:54 am
He's been in jail for 10 months, but was freed on bail while awaiting sentencing. He remains under house arrest, wearing an ankle bracelet. The idea is that if he helps recover funds that belong to Madoff investors -- including just about every Jewish day school in the NY area, YU, Elie Wiesel's Foundation for Humanity (which was pretty much wiped out), the Julian Levitt Foundation, Hadassah, the Wunderkinder Foundation (Steven Spielberg), etc etc. In return, the feds will request leniency in his sentencing.

Sometimes, I guess, you have to sleep with the devil. I don't have to like it, but if it helps recover funds, its a necessary evil.

Rubashkin, of course, has nothing to offer the feds.

I will nevertheless be interested to see what a *lenient* sentence will mean for him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics