Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you have a boy haircut? Do you like it?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 7:13 pm
Trying to decide what to do! The back is already short can't decide if I should buzz the front or leave it long enough to tuck behind my ears. Even if I wear clips, some pieces still fall out of the head covering. I'm very sensitive. Will I love it or hate it?

mamommommy

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:21 pm
I found it extremely comfotable having short hair. I did for a number of years and I only grew it out because I found it hard to wear tichels with short hair and I love wearing tichels.

I think that whether or not you like it will probably have to do with the shape of your face and if the style will suit you. I would suggest not cutting it like a boy's cut to start, but maybe a more feminine short style (like leaving it a bit longer on top, or fuller all around - try looking at pictures.)

Pros of short hair: Comfortable, quick showers (quick dry), quick and easy to put head covering on/off
Cons: You may not feel as feminine, needs regular hair cuts, hard to wear tichels.

Whatever you decide, it grows back anyway (and you can cover it up at least part of the time) so it might be worth it to experiment.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 8:53 am
Short and feminine is nice on some women (honestly not on most).
Boy cut, I think, has nothing to do on a woman.

mosma

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 10:18 am
my mother cut my hair in a boy cut when I was 8 and I've been traumatized ever since.
my hair is LONG. like halfway down my back. thankfully it's not thick so I have no problem getting it under my sheitel or in a tichel. but I will NEVER cut my hair short again! (and DH loves it long too. lol. what does your DH think about you cutting it off?)

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 10:24 am
mosma wrote:
my mother cut my hair in a boy cut when I was 8 and I've been traumatized ever since.
my hair is LONG. like halfway down my back. thankfully it's not thick so I have no problem getting it under my sheitel or in a tichel. but I will NEVER cut my hair short again! (and DH loves it long too. lol. what does your DH think about you cutting it off?)

I have a boy haircut. I cut it myself with a clipper. It is extremely short, but there is still hair (a few steps above shaved) -- I use a combination of a number 2 and number 3 attachment all around, going extra short around the ears. My primary concern is for nothing to show under my sheitel or snood. I keep it covered all the time, so no one but my sees it, but I really don't think it looks bad.

I should probably mention that for many, many married years I had longer hair in a pinned back ponytail. I started getting a short cut (but not nearly as short as now) around the age of 40, moved much shorter around age 50, gradually getting to the extremely short (won't go beyond this) at age 55.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 11:07 am
I prefer more of a mushroom.

chesed613

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 12:02 pm
mosma wrote:
. what does your DH think about you cutting it off?)

This is a great point and really I think one of the deciding factors if you dont always cover your hair in the home. I donated my hair a few months into marriage and had to cut it shorter than ever before (I would never cut it that short if I didnt cover my hair). It was above my chin. I told my husband I was doing it sometime, but not the day. I came home so scared of what he would say, just davening for shalom bayit the whole way home...and Thank G-d he thought it was cute and loved it!

And as everyone said, it grows back, and we do have the luxury of still appearing the same to the public world either way...

Also, are you the type of person that needs to feel extra pretty and spend time to look nice, or are more easy going and laid back...

amother

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 12:55 pm
I have a pixie right now. I take it all the way down to a 2 when I cut it. I wore my hair long under my shaitel for 8 years and this is so much more comfortable. Not only that but it actually looks cute very short and really beautiful when its a pixie. I wish I knew that my hair looked so good this short and I may have have worn it like this before I got married. I wish that it were possible to find such a short shaitel that actually looks natural.

HooRYou

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 1:27 pm
I did what you are talking about 2 years ago. Buzzed the back and sides and layered the rest up from there. I loved it! The look, the ease, the coolness in the summer. DH hated it (gave me the opportunity to try a short haircut, but this was nto what he had in mind). I have been making it up to him by growing it back out the last 2 years and it is longer than it has been since HS (and I am not a 20-year-old newlywed). I think when it is long enough to donate I will cut it off again, but I will probably wait until the summer.

If your DH doesn't mind try! I think you will like it, but if not it will always grow back.

frimamom

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 1:35 pm
I cant see myself in short hair. My hair is longer than my 18 inch wig. LOL

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 12:41 am
So I did it! It's way more comfortable! I used the 8 on my clipper. The back looks great, the front is OK, but not really worse than it was before. I'm still getting used to it. DH doesn't really say anything, and it's my head that I have to cover and be comfortable. I just wish I wasn't so gray. Not sure if I want to dye it or not.

mamommommy

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 12:54 am
Good for you! I hope you enjoy it.

mosma

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:
So I did it! It's way more comfortable! I used the 8 on my clipper. The back looks great, the front is OK, but not really worse than it was before. I'm still getting used to it. DH doesn't really say anything, and it's my head that I have to cover and be comfortable. I just wish I wasn't so gray. Not sure if I want to dye it or not.

I started dying my hair about a year into my marriage when it started to darken and didn't match the blond of my fall anymore.
I do it on my own.
once I got bored and dyed it black (bad idea--looked cool bec I have blue eyes but had to get it professionally stripped and redyed to get the color back)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics