Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Little girls and Tznius
Previous  1  2  3  4

Annie

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 11:54 pm
standard yeshivish here . . .

I started skirts with my dd at 3, and knee socks/tights and elbows covered the summer before first grade (she was 6). After she was 4, I stopped buying short sleeved shirts, but she still had some that fit her, so I did let her wear them. I'm actually thinking back, and thinking that the longer sleeves might have happened before Kindergarten. I know the knee socks/tights & no sandals was before 1st grade, b/c it started with the camp she went to. It was such an easy transition because all the girls at camp were wearing knee socks. I wanted to get her used to them before she started 1st grade when they have to wear them for their uniform. I didn't want it to be a "they're part of your uniform."

Interestingly enough, this summer she kept asking to wear tights, and I went and found her some thinner material tights. My rav said knee socks were fine, but my daughters two best friends wear only tights. One's the rosh yeshiva's daughter, and the other is chassidish.

With boys, I thought it was more a matter of dressing appropriately than tznius??

BTW - they're 4, and I still can't keep them from running around naked. . . Any ideas?

Gsanmb

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 12:01 am
amother wrote:
Are you Morah Elana?

Nope.

Tefila

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 12:12 am
Quote:
the t shirt material rolls a bit when its cut- so its a ready made rolled hem!

Idea Thanx micki

melalyse

Post Wed, Aug 23 2006, 8:32 pm
I only have a son but I always think about this when I G-d willing will have daughters. I hope to dress my daughters appropriately at the right age. But sometimes I think about kids playing in the playground and it is so untznius with a skirt. Wouldn't our girls be mor tzanua in pants at this age. Just a thought. (not what I would do practically)

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 7:40 am
melalyse wrote:
I only have a son but I always think about this when I G-d willing will have daughters. I hope to dress my daughters appropriately at the right age. But sometimes I think about kids playing in the playground and it is so untznius with a skirt. Wouldn't our girls be mor tzanua in pants at this age. Just a thought. (not what I would do practically)

Maybe thats why lots of people like their daughters to wear tights.

melalyse

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 7:55 am
Just tights when a skirt is up is not so tznius

momof6

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 5:30 pm
miriam wrote:

In the pool, both girls wore bathing suits and swimming dresses.

8) Wow!
swimming dresses? What kind of swimming dresses? Where did you find them? Did you send them to camp w/ swimming dresses?

momof6

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 5:37 pm
What I also find interesting is the tznius standards here in general. I'm not a native NY-er, and I'm also a ba'alas teshuva, so my perspective is probably skewed. I see lots of frum women who dress "to the rules" but who definitely are *just* this side of the rules -- I.e. with skirt length, etc. Even at shul. Iguess I find it a little bit confusing; these are women who are very strict to cover every hair, etc. but who when they sit down or even walk fast, their skirts don't go below their knees at all, have slits, etc. C"VS that I would criticize -- I am no one to criticize anything -- I just find it confusing.

Don't be confused unfortunately,everyone has a Yetzer Hara FFBs as well as BTs. We are all on this journey we call life. Hopefully we pass our chalanges.

momof6

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 5:53 pm
mumsy23 wrote:
I'm not sure what rav says that socks are not mandetory but I once asked Rav Felder of Shomer Shabbos in Toronto and he told me that he told me that "I cannot tell you it is Halacha that you must wear socks, but I can encourage you to do so as the more "tzanua" thing to do.

I even pressured him "tell me its assur and I will always cover my legs", he said "I can't honestly tell you that it is a matter of halacha.. more hashkafa."

The way I understand it covering the legs is Dioraita. All through the Torah forbiden relations are referred to as uncovering the legs. Covering your hair too,btw

supermom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2006, 4:51 am
mumsy23 wrote:
Are there any non-lubavitch people who have asked their Rav at what age girls should dress tznius? I konw I will have to ask my Rav when DD is getting close to three but I was just wondering what other sects of Judaism do in terms of tznius with their young daughters.

Before my daughter turned three, I told my husband that I wanted her to dress tznuisdik but he thought she was too young. He thought at the age of five or six should be the time. So he called up his Rabbi and he said to him the younger (meaning three) you dress them tznuisdik the more of a bracha you will have.

(I grew up lubavitch and married a litvish)
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics