Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Help with DD's "bushy" hair!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 6:57 pm
My 12 yr old dd has soft, full hair with tons of body and a few waves, gorgeous....and she hates it!!! She calls it "bushy".
It's esp difficult the morning after a shower, and she ususally wears a pony.
I don't like her to straighten it often, nor is there time.
Does anyone have an idea for a product we can use to make her hair more tamed and flat? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 7:12 pm
amother wrote:
My 12 yr old dd has soft, full hair with tons of body and a few waves, gorgeous....and she hates it!!! She calls it "bushy".
It's esp difficult the morning after a shower, and she ususally wears a pony.
I don't like her to straighten it often, nor is there time.
Does anyone have an idea for a product we can use to make her hair more tamed and flat? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Not sure what you currently use to wash her hair, but pantene shampoo & conditioner is amazing (not the all-in-one type, it's two separate bottles). After the shower, you can add a frizz taming cream/lotion to her damp/wet hair. Then use a conditioner spray as well, and throughout the day, a spritz here and there. If her hair is more on the "curly" end of wavy, you can use a "non hardening" spray gel to spruce up her curls and waves, without the crunchiness of regular hair spray. This is basically the routine for my hair (it's extremely long, and dry).

sky

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 7:15 pm
don't brush outside of the shower
Use a hair serum especially on humid days to keep the hair from frizzing.
Use lots of conditioner and don't wash it all out.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:49 pm
Thanks yoshi and sky.
what brands do you recommend for these products? (frizz tamer, conditioner spray,spray gel, hair serum).

amother

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:50 pm
sky wrote:

what do you mean by this? how should she make her pony in the morning?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 10:19 pm
Try getting it thinned by a hairstylist at her next haircut.

I love curly hair; I'd just leave it down and pushed away from her face by a wide band. Or a cute hat.

mindyme

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 10:21 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Try getting it thinned by a hairstylist at her next haircut.

I love curly hair; I'd just leave it down and pushed away from her face by a wide band. Or a cute hat.

How does thinning work? How often do you have to have it done again? and what does it look like growing out?

Strictlycurls

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:44 pm
As many people already mentioned..
Keep using conditioner. You can use serums in the hair to help with frizz and keep it smooth. Spray in conditioners are helpful especially when you're making your hair (even when dry) and you want to smooth it out. Try not to brush the hair when dry because it'll make the hair more 'poofier'. Wet the brush first!

I'd suggest getting layers. Don't start them too short if she wants to keep her hair in a pony. (Stay AWAY from haircuts where its all one length throughout the whole thing.....)

amother

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:52 pm
Strictly curls - I guess you know what you're talking about! Smile

thanks for the advice,
what kind of serum?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:54 pm
gel. and more gel. I use the frizz-ease gel.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 12:38 am
Definitely no brushing outside the shower. It brushes out the curls and creates the bushiness.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
sky wrote:

what do you mean by this? how should she make her pony in the morning?

Brushing breaks up the curls and the waves and creates poof and frizz. Can she just gather the hair together to make a ponytail without brushing. Or make the ponytail when her hair is wet and only brush then.

Besides for the hair serum (Garnier Fructis makes a good hair serum, or just try different products and see what works best for her). you can also try mousse, I think Dove makes a good one.

suzyq

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 9:58 am
I've tried a lot of products and the best thing I've found to make my curls pretty and not frizzy is a leave-in conditioner from Garnier Fructis. Here's a link - http://www.buy.com/prod/2-pack......html

Strictlycurls

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
Strictly curls - I guess you know what you're talking about! Smile

thanks for the advice,
what kind of serum?

I don't have a specific brand to recommend, just look for small bottles that say "anti frizz", "add shine" etc on them. I'm sure there are averagely priced brands that make this product. (I wouldn't buy the most expensive.) http://www.google.com/images?h.....ab=wi

I understood from your post that your daughter has wavy hair, not curly. If it is most on the curly side switch to shampoos and conditioners that are specially for curls. (Don't buy the two-in-one shampoo and conditioner as thick curly hair tends to need more conditioning.)

Unless she has super tight curls, I wouldn't use gel. It often makes the hair look wet and hard. If she wants to wear her hair down, style the hair with moose after her shower and let dry naturally.

I hope I know what I'm talking about! I lived with curly hair till I got married, and I'm a hairdresser. Smile

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 11:52 am
You need to test out different products for hair. Each person loves different ones.

I like the frizz-ease serum, but its pricey.

For shampoos/conditioners, I like Pantene the best. I recently tried Infusium and I really like it also.

Make sure to get the "for curly hair" types.

Also, I use mousse (I like Aussie mousse and Pantene mousse). I like to do my hair in the evening (with mousse and stuff) let it dry a bit before going to sleep. Then in the morning, my curls are softer but still held together.

Also, is her hair dry? She shouldn't be washing it every day if it is.

And NO BRUSHING DRY HAIR.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 2:36 pm
OP here: thanks everyone for the advice!

sorry if I wasn't clear: her hair is wavy, definately not curly. The main problem is the fullness. We tried the wet brush idea, and that seemed to help aliitle. The high humidity up here doesn't do much either!!!

Any other products for wavy, full hair, not curly?

suzyq

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 3:16 pm
Try the leave-in conditioners - frizz is usually a problem for dry hair so the conditioner adds moisture and weighs down hair so it isn't as frizzy. It's what worked best for me.

busydev

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 3:30 pm
also maybe make a braid instead of a stam pony- keeps it all contained you know...

but def try anti frizz stuff and brush as little as possible.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 6:00 pm
that sounds like what my hair was like! and I hated it too...
what I eventually did:
1) started using frizz-ease serum, shampoo, conditioner, etc. (always experimenting with dif. products, but I liked that company a lot. the serum might be expensive but it lasts a long time.)
2) got my hair chemically relaxed, about every six months. there's a new method they're doing now which contains formeldahyde (however you spell that). the old method is safe and I found that it really tamed my hair long-term, I was even able to start wearing it down -- either curly/wavy, or by letting it dry in a tight pony-tail and then flat-ironing it (if she's very young this might all be too advanced, but chemically straightening it can just make it more manageable and "normal" -- probably what she wants).
3) stopped combing or brushing AT ALL (I know, this sounds crazy, but I realized that I had big spiral-ly curl things that were being broken down into frizz and puff each time I brushed -- when I stopped combing and brushing altogether, the waves held themselves together beautifully, and I never got knots.)
I did all these things together. if I would pick just one to start with, for myself, I would get it relaxed... without that, I just had a huge poof that made me look crazy, and there was no way I could tame it.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 6:10 pm
just to add, when I used to straighten my hair by pulling it into a tight pony and then using a straightening iron, I did use a comb, mostly to make that really tight pony.
but when I was wearing my hair "curly" I did not brush AT ALL. and when I would brush it, or even let's say I would get a haircut and the hairstylist would use a comb or brush, it took my hair a few days to recover.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics