Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Attention OT's and mothers of children with fine motor delay

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 6:12 pm
Does anyone know where I can find some sort of equipment to strengthen my sons hand/wrists. He has very weak hands and is having difficulty writing. He is almost 6. Thanxs.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 6:21 pm
I think you need to get an evaluation. It really depends on whether it's the wrist, or the problem is in-hand manipulation, or strengthening intrinsic hand muscles (you can google those and see if that's what your child is experiencing). Without evaluating your child or knowing exactly what the problem is, I can't really make any recommendations.

SingALong

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 6:31 pm
Hi I am an OT student, soon to graduate.

I highly recommend a proper evaluation by an OT. I dont think proper treatment can be determined based on only knowing that his hands are weak. one would have to know the cause, which movements of his are most weak, and what treatemnt would best benefit his precise condition/limitations.
google "handwriting without tears" a program developed by an OT to deal specifically with handwriting issues. their website has a whole parent section, as well as OT's in your area who specialize in handwriting.

I don't know where you live but perhaps see your doctor about geting a prescription for an OT evaluation based on his weak hands. find out your state law, if you have direct access to OT or if you need a prescription. also, find out if your health insurance will cover it. if they do, dr's presricption is probably recquired.

that being said, I can only recomend getting putty for him to play around with, squeeze it pull it, etc for increased finger strength. also fine motor toys like pegs, iron on beads, or mastermind may be good for him.

I don't feel confident recomending things without knowing all details and a proper evaluation so really the best thing would be to get an OT evaluation. an OT will recomend the best treatment/program and re-evaluate what he's doing as he progresses.

good luck!

Liba

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 6:51 pm
Theraputty, playdough, modeling clay, stress balls, squeeze toys, monkey bars, space trolley, crab walking, special pencil grips (to make holding the pencil easier), and even old fashioned weights were all used during my daughter's OT.

A qualified OT should have many many tricks up his or her sleeve to help.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 6:54 pm
If having an eval isn't an option, I would suggest having your son play with play doh or therapy putty. You can hide thing in the putty, like beads or coins, and have him dig them out. Any games that require manipulating small pieces are good too, like Lego, lite brite, cliks. Does he play any instruments? If he's interested, playing piano Is a great way to strengthen the muscles in the hand.

I want to reiterate that unless you had a formal eval, you may missing some crucial factors. If he has weakness in his core and/or upper arm shoulder area, he will still complain of fatigue even if his hand muscles are strengthened. That's just one example of what an OT would look at in addition to evaluating hand strength and coordination.

Btw, I'm an OT Wink

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 7:47 pm
Thanxs for all the ideas. My son has been getting ot since birth but he's off for the summer and his tutor said he needs major work on his handwriting. He has a very weak grip and does not hold his pencil correctly. So she suggested I get him those squeezy balls. I just don't know where to order them from. Like you can get speech therapy toys from super duper- where do you get ot equipment?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 9:52 pm
Super duper actually recently started an OT line. It's limited, but check it out - they might have what you need.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 10:06 pm
speech toys as in? ds has a some sort of processing issue, what line of speech toys? what is super duper?

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 11:11 pm
my son has been getting OT for about 2 years now. A very good excersize for strengthening wrists and arm muscles is having him wheelbarrow walk, and crawl thru things. you can also wheelbarrow ride a small bike and have his hands work the pedals.

goldapoe

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 11:46 pm
funandfunction.com
http://www.pattersonmedical.co.....00010
http://store.schoolspecialtyon.....10206

But I repeat what the other OT's said: get a recommended home program from your OT!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics