Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
10 Doller minimum on yourcredit card

ny21

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 11:00 am
Crying LOL I was at a store and charged $9.50
(Nine dollers and fifty cents)
the cashier said their is a ten doller minimum
and that he could not let the charge go thru?
I heard their is no minimum on credit cards
is he allowed to do that?
I gave in and bought additional items that I did no need! Rolling Eyes shock Crying

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 11:11 am
While I understand why the stores have a minimum charge, they are not allowed to do this and can actually lose their merchant account by doing so. Next time, let them know that and tell them you have no problems notifying Visa/MC/Amex/Discover merchant services if they will not accept your charge.

queen

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 11:25 am
a credit card payment can be put through for as little as 10¢, it's the STORE that has the policy of not accepting it for less.
They lose about 3% of all charges put through the credit card, and therefore are only willing to use it on purchases more than a certain amount (each store is allowed to have their own policies) as a protective measure against being ripped off in case your check bounces.

chen

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 11:58 am
exactly. if the purchase it too small the store can actually lose money on a credit card sale because of the fee they pay for each transaction plus administrative costs. what is not legal is charging you a higher price to use a credit card, which is usually stated as giving you a discount for paying cash.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 1:01 pm
it's piggy of them not to be more into customer service.

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 1:36 pm
no its not piggy of them, they lose money if they charge less, its not worh it for them, bussiness is a bussiness, its not such a big deal. I go to a lot of stores and their usual charge is anywhere from $10, $15, $20. each store has their own policy and they do have the right to do it, they dont have to accomodate a customer all the time, sometimes setting certain guidelines is good.

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 2:18 pm
I have been to a store with only my credit card and payed 7.99 on something. They accepted it lovingly Exclamation though it was I who was embarrassed embarrassed

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 2:30 pm
I heard it's illegal, too, and you can tell them so...
but I never have had the guts to!
Chain stores like Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc, do not have minimums. sometimes it's easier than cash. Smile

momtomany

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 5:46 pm
I once charged an item costing 2.50.
the cashier did not even blink.
though I was nervous b/c I had no cash and really needed the item.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 10:00 pm
The stores are NOT allowed to set policies about minimum purchases. It is in violation of their merchant agreement

Quote:
A merchant must not require, or post signs indicating that it requires, a minimum or maximum transaction amount to accept a valid MasterCard card.

This is just an excerpt from the latest edition of the MasterCard "Merchant Rules Manual." I am positive that Visa, Discover, and American Express have comparable policies.

Know your rights, people!

queen

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 5:02 am
Interesting..... I wonder if this applies to VISA as well.
writing checks.... the smallest domination I ever wrote for was .50¢
(owner told me to pay next time, but didn't want anything extra to have to remember or forget about!!!!)

mumsy23

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 6:02 am
I always have this problem as I NEVER have cash with me. From now on I think I will carry visas policies with me and let the casheir know that it is ILLEGAL!

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 1:54 pm
momoftwins, you should've returned the "extra" items a minute later. so you would have been over their minimum, but not had to really buy somethings that you didn't need.

I think I've charged $2 before. embarrassed

ny21

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 2:15 pm
I wish I had the nerve to do that!(613)
I did tell the cashier that I will contact visa!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics