Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Extremely, dry itchy skin

happy2beme

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 9:10 am
My 11 y o niece has an extremely bad case of eczema. The dermatologists gave prescription cream, but that burns when you put it on & it's just too painful for her to use.

She has tried aveeno, eucerin & a bunch of others. Anyone know of anything else that will help? Her skin is mamash peeling off Sad

chen

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 9:14 am
try olive oil--but NOT in the sun! put it on at bedtime and cover with a dressing to keep the oil on her and off the sheets.

Jo

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 9:36 am
Sometimes if there is no other way to control eczema, wet wraps with moisturiser +/- steroid cream is the way to go...same idea as chen posted

happy2beme

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 9:53 am
Quote:
try olive oil--but NOT in the sun! put it on at bedtime and cover with a dressing to keep the oil on her and off the sheets.

Are you sure this works? I just want to make sure before I suggest such an interesting thing... Do u know why it helps?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 9:57 am
I went through several steroid creams before finding one that worked for me. I just had a very bad case of excema, and it's finally under control. I had to go back to the dermatologist several times before finding something that worked for me.

I use a combination of regular lotion every day and always make sure to put steroid cream on the affected area.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 10:03 am
the worst weather is very hot and very cold.

vaseline helps some.

happy2beme

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 10:13 am
Quote:
I went through several steroid creams before finding one that worked for me.

did it burn when u put it on?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 10:17 am
No, it never burned. Is her skin broken? That might account for the burning.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 10:27 am
I also grew up with terrible eczema...the worst time is when it's cold and dry outside or hot and sweaty (under my kneecaps suffer the worst then)...I went through a lot of medicines, and I don't remember which ointment it was that worked the best. When my skin was broken, sometimes the cream did sting, but it was worth it to take away the itch! But some bacitracin on it too to help the bleeding skin...
To keep it under control: in the winter, don't take a shower more than once every other day since it can dry out your skin more unless absolutely necessary and constantly use a good moisturizing lotion. In the summer, keep the skin clean and dry to prevent sweat from causing outbreaks. And use a moisturizing lotion/sunscreen if in the sun.
My son also had eczema, but B"H it eventually cleared up without steroids...I just didn't bathe him everyday (almost impossible now!) and the pedi told me to use Dove soap instead of Johnson and Johnsons, vaseline cream or creamy baby oil as lotion...I actually ended up using Aveeno oatmeal lotion until it cleared.

chen

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 10:39 am
happy2beme wrote:
Quote:

Are you sure this works? I just want to make sure before I suggest such an interesting thing... Do u know why it helps?

when dd had eczema we used something OTC that was thick like petroleum jelly. the idea is to use s/t occlusive that will hold moisture inside and let the skin hydrate itself. At the moment I can't recall the name--oh, now I remember: Aquaphore. Aquaphore contains mineral oil and petroleum jelly among other things, so if you are a real green freak and will not use anything that is not of plant origin (though technically petroleum IS of plant origin LOL ), then olive oil is your next best thing. Unless you don't mind using chicken schmaltz... Aquaphore may be better b/c it is thicker and stays on the skin longer, but olive oil should do the trick.

No I am not sure it will work. There is no such thing as a remedy that works for evry case, evry time. Not even chicken soup.

happy2beme

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 10:54 am
chen, she has aquaphor so if the olive oil is the second best thing I think she'll rather stick with that instead of shmearing oil everywhere Wink

I didn't think of covering it after applying- that sounds the best

thanks everyone!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 11:16 am
happy2beme wrote:
chen, she has aquaphor so if the olive oil is the second best thing I think she'll rather stick with that instead of shmearing oil everywhere Wink

I didn't think of covering it after applying- that sounds the best

thanks everyone!

We tried Aquaphor as well...definitely cover the skin to ensure all the moisturizing components get attached to the skin as long as possible Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics