Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

AZmom09

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 2:13 pm
Hi,
looking for a recipe. No heavy cream or rich's whip..
I'll take both dairy and dairy free recipes!

Also no raw eggs..
Anyone have a recipe???

louche

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 2:27 pm
You may be asking for too much. Without cream, or fake cream substitute (aka "whip"), or eggs, you have nothing to give the recipe body. What you can make is sorbet, but that's ices, not ice cream. Or you can make pudding, which uses starch to give it body, but that's not ice cream, either, even if you freeze it. You want an ice-cream-type frozen dessert, you gotta have real cream, or eggs, or chemicals, unless you can get your hands on pasteurized egg albumin somewhere and use a recipe that calls for beaten egg whites.

Since cooked ice cream recipes that use egg use only the yolk and not the white, I don't think you can use Egg Beaters instead, though you MIGHT be able to use soymilk or half-and-half in lieu of the heavy cream. It's worth a try, at any rate. Sub plain or vanilla soymilk for the heavy cream and use a recipe that calls for cooking the cream-eggyolk-sugar mixture till it simmers. It won't be as rich but it might work. Or not. For mint flavor, add half a teaspoon peppermint extract (better too little than too much--if you want stronger flavor, add more next time) and mix in chocolate chips when the mixture starts to harden but before it freezes solid.

Google "Vanilla french ice cream recipe".

mandksima

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 2:34 pm
Well, if you have an ice cream maker (manual or electric), it is MUCH easier, especially without using heavy cream.

My recipe is great but requires advance planning and cooking.
For dairy, I usually use 3 parts skim milk and one part light cream (10% fat.) If you don't want that, you can use all four parts milk but it won't be as creamy. Maybe use whole milk then. Either way, the basic start of the recipe is
3 cups milk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
Combine in a saucepan and cook on medium until almost boiling, stirring constantly so the bottom doesn't burn. Mixture should coat the back of a spoon a bit as it gets thicker. Take off of heat and cool completely. You add an additional cup of milk or cream at this point and a bit of vanilla essence. It is best to cool in fridge for 8 hours or overnight. You can stick it in the freezer to cool more quickly, just keep an eye on it so it doesn't freeze yet. This makes the vanilla ice cream. For the mint, add 1/2 tsp mint flavoring and maybe less than 1/4 shaved chocolate or mini choc chips. Put in ice cream maker or place in freezer and mix with fork or stick blender once hardened a bit.

For non-dairy, I have been very successful with chocolate only. You may want to try chocolate mint chip as a variation.
Slightly different recipe but same idea.
2 1/2 cups natural flavor soy milk (or other pareve milk like rice or almond)
3 eggs yolks (save whites for something else)
1 cup sugar

Cook till coats spoon then remove from flame. Add in 1/3 cup cocoa sifted into pot and mix well. Cool completely and add a bit of vanilla and an additional cup of soy milk mixed with a few teaspoons oil (I do that because I'm skipping cream/whip). Mix in shaved chocolate if desired and mint flavoring if desired. Put in ice cream maker. This is a GREAT chocolate sorbet!

Enjoy!

AZmom09

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 3:45 pm
Thanks so much!
I'm going to give it a try when I find some time!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics