Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Colicky baby, HELP!
1  2  Next

zkalan

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 4:39 pm
I need help, I'm a new mother and my baby is a month and a half old, and he is in constant abdominal pain, straining, he even developed an umbilical hernia due to constant straining. I've tried these methods: gripe water, colic tablets, abdominal massage, but nothing helps. He wants to be held at all times, and I'm starting to go crazy a little. Are there any other methods that do help?

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 5:02 pm
swing;

iron a diaper cloth/ blanket and put it on the baby's tummuy (warm, NOT TOO HOT);

get family, friends, volunteers to come over to hold him;

change positions;

find the thread on co-sleeping & see if you like what you find there;

calm music;

warm bath - just to help relax - worked for my baby - as long as she was in water, she was happy - even smiling;

Good luck!!!

proudmom

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 5:03 pm
Do you burp him after each feeding? My daughter was the same way and I would go nuts too. The only thing that helped her out was put her on my lap on her belly and rock her. You can also take both of his feet and put his knees together and push against his belly to relieve the gas.

zkalan

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 5:53 pm
I burp him after every feeding, and almost after every feeding he starts getting all fussy and straining.

My family and friends are all in NY, my husband is in the military so we are stuck in this part of Florida with nobody to help me.

technic

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 6:02 pm
ive heard sthing abt using fennel but im not sure what...maybe worth looking into?

rydys

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 6:07 pm
The 5 "S"s of colic--

Swaddling--tightly so he can't move
Side lying--like a football hold with his stomach on your arm
Swinging--jiggling the baby in your arms
Sucking--on a finger or pacifier
Shushing--very loud, as loud as the baby is crying, right in the baby's ear

These 5 in various combinations will help calm down almost any baby.

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 6:08 pm
is it possible for you to go for an extended visit to your family in NY? is your husband away, or he has a job on a base near home?

hindyandrafi

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 6:23 pm
OK!!

Go to whole foods or any health food store and get something called Gripe Water... its an English thing ( yes its ok kashrus wise).. Its amasing.. you give it to the baby before feeds, and it helps them get rid of the gas...

the other thing is ( chekc with your pediatrician 1st) is let the baby sleep in its tummy... you will see a big difference!!!
let me know how it goes

hindyandrafi

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 6:24 pm
where in FL are you???

zkalan

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 6:59 pm
Northwest- Fort Walton Beach, near Pensacola.

My husband wouldn't be too happy about me going to NY, plus I really just got back from there about a month ago. I had my baby in NY.

Rivk

Post Tue, Feb 15 2005, 7:54 pm
Are you nursing? I know this is controversial but he may be sensitive to something you are eating. Try going off all dairy products for a week. If you are bottle feeding maybe switch to a diff brand? Good luck!

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 3:58 am
If you're nursing and you think your baby might be reacting to foods you ate, try consulting this chart for possible troublemakers. I did, and it was helpful. http://www.babycenter.com/gene......html

1stimer

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 4:21 am
try infant reflexology

technic

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 4:39 am
some pple swear by cranial osteopathy after a difficult birth - I dont know if that might help colic 2?

Rivka

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 5:44 am
she said at the begining she used gripe water. I also found that and colic drops didn't work. I would just hold him on my knee on his stomache and rock him, but it usually was only at night my son got colicky.
You say your baby is straining...does that mean he is hitching his legs up screaming? When I hear straining I think constipation, but I doubt that is what you mean.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 10:24 am
try a chiropractor

zkalan

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 11:27 am
Rivka, he is straining, draws his legs up and fusses, he does problems passing stool at times, but I think the straining has more to do with gas.

zkalan

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 11:28 am
1stimer wrote:
try infant reflexology

How does it work?

zkalan

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 10:24 am
Just wanted to let you all know that we went for our first refloxology massage and it seems to be working. Thank you.

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 10:53 am
YEY!!!!!!!

I'M SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics