Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
List of Mamlachti Dati and Torani schools?

Starhavah

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 1:16 pm
We are seeing an aliyah counselor and someone at Nefesh b'nefesh next week. We would like a list of the Mamlachti Dati and Torani schools in Jerusalem or recommendations for some. Do mamlachti Dati schools usually require a uniform? We dd going to a school where the mom's don't show up in pants or with uncovered hair. But we are not Israeli sheitel wearers either (in Israel wearing a sheital is very different than it is here). We are Kippa seruga kind of people.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 12:34 am
I don'th ave a list of schools, but all schools starting next year will require a uniform, though from what I have seen it's usually just a shirt.

Again, from my experience, mamlachti dati schools don't have rules about what parents wear, and they can't not accept a child if the family isn't frum. In town here, the MMD school varies by class. Some grades / classes almost all the kids are frum, some almost none are.

Torani schools (again, I'm talking about here not as familiar with Y-m) charge a bit of tuition (I think it will be 200 NIS / month), and they do require parents come to school dressed according to standards (no pants, hair covered). They still can't out and out refuse to take a child, but they make it more inconvenient to send if you are traditional as opposed to frum. From speaking to people here, the curriculum is pretty much the same.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 12:49 am
How old is your dd? Elementary mamachti dati schools really must accept everyone. In certain cities and neighbourhoods the school is all dati because those are the only parents who want to send there, and in other cities there's a big secular/mesorati presence. No one can really tell the parents what to wear, although they certainly ask mothers to come dressed modestly to meetings (doesn't always work).

If you want to ensure the student population is all dati, you may have to send to a semi-private or private school like Noam or Chorev (also dl types, just more strict/chardal).

By junior high, girls often go to ulpanot. In most (certainly the better) ulpanot, girls can't get in if they're not dati. A lot of these places will kick a girl out if she's caught throwing out the garbage in pants.
So if your daughter is in gr.7, she'll likely be studying with other religious girls. (Sometimes they let a girl in from a less dati family if she herself promises to keep halacha.)
Some cities do have good dati high school that are not ulpanot, btw.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 12:58 am
There isn't an organized list of any school unless you look in the yellow pages d.co.il as far as I know.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 1:28 am
There are lists of schools on the NbN website, although the lists are not comprehensive.

Most mamad schools have uniforms consisting of a logo-printed tee-shirt and your child's own pants or skirt.

BTW, what's the difference between an Israel sheitel-wearer and a chutznik sheitel-wearer? (just curious; I am neither).

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 1:30 am
The NbN database of Israeli schools:

http://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahpe......html

amother

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 1:43 am
DrMom wrote:
There are lists of schools on the NbN website, although the lists are not comprehensive.

Most mamad schools have uniforms consisting of a logo-printed tee-shirt and your child's own pants or skirt.

BTW, what's the difference between an Israel sheitel-wearer and a chutznik sheitel-wearer? (just curious; I am neither).

1. You can't trust everything you read on NBN regarding schools. Check them out yourself and speak to people.
2. An Israel sheitel wearer is associated with being chareidi. The exception is American olim, both MO and Orthodox wear sheitels.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:37 am
amother wrote:
DrMom wrote:

1. You can't trust everything you read on NBN regarding schools. Check them out yourself and speak to people.
2. An Israel sheitel wearer is associated with being chareidi. The exception is American olim, both MO and Orthodox wear sheitels.

I know a lot of Americans (bewigged and otherwise). I guess this is why I found the statement confusing. Got it.

Starhavah

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 7:58 am
DrMom wrote:
<snip>

AMother wrote:
<snip>

AMother has it according to what I meant. In Israel only the charedim wear sheitals, everyone else wears tichels and hats (no hair showing). In America you are more likely to see a sheital on MO woman and hats are associated with women who do not cover their hair fully.

Havah
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions