Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Laptop vs. desktop for 7th grader

tziviakayla

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:02 pm
We use the k12 homeschool program for our children. Last year, each child was given their own desktop computer. It worked out very well, with each one having their own desk,

This year, my oldest is enterring 7th grade. Last week, she received a laptop and we are supposed to return the desktop.

Originally, I thought that the desktop would be a better option, since it it located in a nice, quiet place for her to work. I asked the school if we could keep the desktop instead. They looked into it, and said that we could have our choice.

However, now I am going back and forth, thinking she might feel more grown-up with a laptop. (However, with so many little brothers and sisters, I am not sure a delicate laptop is such a good idea!)

Which do you all think would be better for a 7th grader?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:09 pm
A desktop computer is safer -- no moving it around and hiding what is being done.
Computer time should be limited, and a laptop might interfere with that as well.
As old as 7th grade seems, she's still a youngster and computers are still a "b'di eved".

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:09 pm
Desktop has more memory and is less easily broken Wink

+ what HY said, btw.

de_goldy

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:30 pm
Definitely a desktop. Laptops are not good for the neck/back/shoulders.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 5:14 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Desktop has more memory

That is incorrect information.

Each will have as much memory (of any sort whether you mean RAM or disk space) as you purchase for it.

You do normally get more bang for your buck when purchasing a desktop over a laptop, but that isn't the issue for OP since she isn't purchasing either.

Peanut2

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 7:01 pm
I've never had a desktop (except at work, and this year I'm getting a laptop there too) so it's difficult for me to answer.
Will she be taking it places with her? If not, it might not be necessary.
Desktops are generally cheaper for same/similar quality and stuff, if that's useful info.

Enjoy!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 7:07 pm
Have to agree with posters above: with a laptop child can go to any room anywhere and be unsupervised. A laptop is a very bad choice. U can easily put spyware on a family desktop computer to track where child is going etc. harder on a laptop I think.....

amother

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 7:08 pm
What is the K12 homeschool program's website
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics