Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What age should dd start makeup?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 7:38 pm
Dd is in HS now going into eleventh grade. She really wants to start with makeup. I'm afraid she'll get too into it and then loose her patience with it when she really needs it. What age did you start and when do you think it's appropriate to start?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 7:44 pm
My camp friends started summer before 11th grade and my school friends not until after 12th.

I started summer before 11th and I'm happy I did.

MommyZ

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 7:45 pm
I started when I was 14 and I think there is no set rule but it depends on maturity and other factors.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 8:24 pm
If you think it's okay for her to wear make-up and her friends do, how about just a little, like only eye liner or only mascara?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 8:25 pm
You never "need it".

It depends on many factors. Some women never start.

mazaltov

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 8:29 pm
me and my sisters (my sisters and I??) started at 16. But what my mother did with us is that she took us to a make-up artist who has her own make-up line and we got a full "facial" and the lady showed us how to put on make-up, how to do it for a simcha or just for a regular day, and also what colors look good on us. After that we always knew how to put it on, and we never looked like a clown (like some other teenagers look cuz they have no idea what they are doing!)
good luck!

louche

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
You never "need it".

It depends on many factors. Some women never start.

agreed. there is no age by which one "should" use makeup--there is only an age before which one should not.

NotSoNewKallah

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 9:12 pm
I barely wear makeup. Occasionally I wear a little eye makeup when Im soo overly tired. But usually only to simchas. If you dont start, then you need it less. I have friends who wore so much makeup as teens that now in their early 20's they cant leave the house without makeup, they feel naked and they have wrinkles already.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 9:14 pm

MamaBear

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 9:54 pm
I've been wearing makeup since 8th grade. Different amounts at diff. times in my life. More coverup when I had more acne, less overall when it was summer, etc

I'm 31 and I may look a bit more tired (ah the kid years) but I definitely don't have a lot of wrinkles. Most strangers think I'm 22 or so (age comes up b/c I look too young apparently to have a flock of kids).

I think when it's tasteful, the teens yrs are an appropriate time to start. Maybe just for going out or special occasions at first. But, when done with a light hand, I don't think it's a big deal. Then again, I am the girliest person I know....

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 10:57 pm
When I was 14 I got my braces off and my mother took me to the clinique counter and I got a whole face worth. I only wore it for weddings tho.
(I was a 14 yr old that looked 18)
I only started wearing everyday in seminary and even then it was only eye shadow and eyeliner really.

busydev

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 11:28 am
16. and I started with natural colors (browns and beige)and then it was only for shabbos. I didnt get foundation and colored eyeshadows till I was back from seminary. I only wear eyeliner and some eye shadow every day. I wear blush and lipstick on shabbos and the "full face" for weddings and fancy occasions.

SplitPea

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 11:34 am
I am one of those ladies that never started! Even now I wear ONLY very lightly for weddings (and sometimes not even then) I am sooo happy my mom didnd't let me in HS I got use to going without and now I know I really don't NEED it. BH I never feel werid leaving the house without putting on "my face' I know I am the way hashem made me and thats that.

I wish there was some way to teach out girls THIS attitude. its insane how much people use makeup!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 11:40 am
My mother took me to the Clinique counter when I turned 16. They helped me match my colors and I got a base and a blush, plus it was bonus time and that came with free mascara and lipstick.

Since my high school didn't allow makeup to school, I basically wore makeup only for Shabbos or Simchas (before I turned 16 I would borrow a bit from my older sisters if there was a wedding.)

I think being "into" makeup is more of a personality thing than being related to when you started. I myself will wear makeup when I'm in the mood, but on a daily basis I tend to be more laid back. I have SIL's whose mothers held off for longer and they would never leave the house without makeup.

onlyme

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 11:42 am
mazaltov wrote:
me and my sisters (my sisters and I??) started at 16. But what my mother did with us is that she took us to a make-up artist who has her own make-up line and we got a full "facial" and the lady showed us how to put on make-up, how to do it for a simcha or just for a regular day, and also what colors look good on us. After that we always knew how to put it on, and we never looked like a clown (like some other teenagers look cuz they have no idea what they are doing!)
good luck!

This is basically my story, except that I was 17 and only wore it for Shabbos and special occasions. Only started wearing makeup every day after I graduated high school.

lizard8

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 11:43 am
I started in tenth grade with mascara, then eyeliner too. On shabbos I wore more (can't remember what though). Slowly I added more pieces for shabbos until I wore a full face. During the week I wear less, depending on the day and weather.
Is your question regarding shabbos or everyday? Some schools don't allow any makeup. Make sure you and your daughter are aware of the policy. Some of my friends had a difficult time wearing makeup on the weekend and being bare for school.

natmichal

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 11:53 am
SplitPea wrote:
I am one of those ladies that never started! Even now I wear ONLY very lightly for weddings (and sometimes not even then) I am sooo happy my mom didnd't let me in HS I got use to going without and now I know I really don't NEED it. BH I never feel werid leaving the house without putting on "my face' I know I am the way hashem made me and thats that.

I wish there was some way to teach out girls THIS attitude. its insane how much people use makeup!

totally agree. ...and then some of us are surprised we get threads like "oh dear me, I have to go to the mikva on the first night of rosh hashana and I'll look awful for the whole chag".

I did use some lipstick for weddings during the time my lips would turn blue when dancing. but that was so people would not panic...

MrsDash

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 12:01 pm
I didn't officially begin wearing makeup until the age of 21. Even then, I was only wearing lip gloss and a little eye shadow. Now, at the "ripe" age of 26, I wear some makeup, but not necessarily every day. Usually I wear makeup for special occasions (I.e. wedding, date, shabbos, etc).

If your daughter is going to start wearing makeup, bring her to a place like sephora. For no charge, you tell them what "look" you're aiming for, and they will show her how to apply the makeup and which colors work best.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 12:16 pm
16 sounds like a good age.

acccdac

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 12:58 pm
I started mid 11th grade.

I went to MAC then, it was when they just started here in America and they were very in.

they did my face so it was natural and basic, and then they taught me how to use the same products and create an evening look (using a dark shadow for eye liner)

I think I started then because my oldest sibling was getting married so I had events to go to, and I was starting to get invites to community weddings.

One thing my mother never let was makeup for shabbos. She said as long as I was in her house I would not sleep with makeup on my face, because of the affects on my skin.

I also start facials around that age, not cream ones but acne ones. To this day people think I'm 8 to 10 years younger than I am. I dont know if that is why, but Thank G-d I have been blessed with good skin, and have been taught how to take care of it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics