Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
IYH I'll soon have baby pets (don't like? don't look!)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Bliss

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 2:01 pm
Ruchel wrote:
These are good questions!

Guinea pigs

- We have one "standard" (about like that http://www.letsbuyit.fr/produc.....47-cm ) for the girly, if IYH she has a daughter they'll live together in there.
- We bought a "very big" (3 floors) for the 5 boys, but they kept fighting, so one was given to a friend (it was love at first sight on both sides Wink ), the long-haired brothers were put in a "standard" cage and the hairless half brothers still live there. Teenagehood isn't easy by the guinea pigs! I'm kinda sad I had to give up one of them, he had gorgeous ultra thin "satin" long hair, but we didn't plan to breed this hair, and he didn't seem to carry the best genes anyway... my friend says she put him together with a girly so I'm still curious to see his kids!

Rats

-One HUGE cage (higher than me) separated into two a girly side and a boyish side, both having three floors. About 10 rats in each?
-Depending on need, one, two, three "maternity cages" (standard size)for couples and then for mommies and babies, before babies are old enough to join "the crowd" LOL
-One cage ("standard") for a very cute but very picky (they don't like other rats or humans, just each other, which is kinda romantic in a way Wink ) couple. Unfortunately (lo alenu!) they are infertile, and I'm trying to find a home for them where they'll be the center of attention! They are in the first post Smile

Indeed overbreeding for certain physical features causes damage!

Just for fun, here is how someone who has really a ton of rats organizes the cages! http://www.worldofrats.com/ROU.....1.jpg (still a "non professional", heimish breeder! professional is more like this [skip if sensitive] http://www.tartaucitron.fr/rat.....d=410 and NOT my cup of tea).
Wow! That's almost a shtetl! It's keeping you pretty busy I see, and it sounds like you're enjoying it.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 2:05 pm
With all the babies kah we had sometimes close to 50 ratties around! But as soon as one litter is weaned and psychologically ready to go (5/6 weeks, more if the mom nurses longer), a lot of them go at the same time!

I wasn't raised with hairy pets as my dad is allergic, I was curious to see if we would like it, and we do! My dh talks to rats LOL My dd wishes we could keep them all... but she has understood we need to share even ratties Wink

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 2:18 pm
Bliss wrote:
Wow! That's almost a shtetl! It's keeping you pretty busy I see, and it sounds like you're enjoying it.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Fox

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 7:14 pm
Any updates on your shtetl, Ruchel? My DDs keep asking -- we think about your brood all the time!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 6:50 am
Awww!

The ratties are growing, babies quickly, adults slowly Wink

Sheyna the guinea pig is highly pregnant!

Ruchel

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 12:58 pm
Sheyna the guinea pig is overdue. She'll go for a u/s this week. My friend examined her and it's possible that she simply got pregnant later than we thought, or even miscarried (lo alenu) a first litter and had then a new pregnancy.

Zissel the rat is on the way to become an alter bucher. We just cannot find a suitable bride for him. He is gorgeous, but it seems all the owners of suitable females want "yichus" on several generations. Sad

Flamingo the hairless guinea pig had his "shidduch profile" advertised on Ebay for a long time, and despite TONS of visits, no one is interested either. BH he's young.
For fun: http://www.leboncoin.fr/animaux/152189629.htm

Fox

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 9:35 pm
Pauvre Zissel! Isn't that the way? Everyone wants yichus!

Flamingo is adorable! I especially love his oreilles bien pendantes!

Can't wait to see Sheyna's litter!

havefaith

Post Sat, Dec 18 2010, 10:11 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Waiting for the pet forum Wink

In the mean time, the parents
Mama is La Leche League, because that's all she does
Papa is Minky, like his colour.

Kinderlech

People keep mean comments to things you like.
the third picture-do they sleep like that?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:15 am
Thank you Fox!!

No, they have been arranged for the pic! lol

Stayci

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 1:53 pm
This must be the most interesting and informative thread on imamother. Love the updates and the pictures. Please keep it coming!

Lilkingdom

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 2:44 pm
OMG!! I cant help but LOL about this thread. When I started reading the thread I was like 'ewww' but now I'm actually enjoying it. Those newborn rats are cute! My kids would go nuts over one Smile

Keep us updated, I find it interesting.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 24 2010, 5:36 am
Wink

It starts by ewww, then "interesting"... and next thing you know, you have two dozens of rodents at home Wink

I want to report that someone drove almost 5O kms to buy HERE! Very Happy

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 10:18 am
I just received a mail from a mother (not amother! Wink ) who had bought from me, and reported that she was so happy because the rat was very sociable from start and totally tame with her child Smile

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 8:45 am
Forget 50kms, there is a guy from MARSEILLES who's coming to buy one special rat!

One of my hairless ladies had a big litter! it was unexpected (the father has, huh, low libido), it's a beautiful surprise for shabbes!

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:41 am
MICEL TOV! Cheers

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 2:48 pm
Two of my hairless girlies gave birth today.
It was weird. One had an only who passed soon after Sad The other one had 2, who are BH well for now.

Mom2girls

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 7:41 am
wow that's so great! could you post pictures?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 12:22 pm
I'll post new pics soon!

Today, bad bad news. Idris passed suddenly. He is from a healthy, selected "yichus" so I don't know what went wrong. Yesterday he was well, today he was gone. We had great projects for him, we had already bought his future kallah, Zelda, who looked just like him (perfect absence of hair, very dark skin, "low" ears, great personality). Sad

Fox

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 12:30 pm
So sorry to hear that!

happyone

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 12:52 pm
BDE
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets