Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
IYH I'll soon have baby pets (don't like? don't look!)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

sequoia

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 11:01 am
Err, why are you disgusted rather than sad or disappointed? It's not their fault they're unwell.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 11:04 am
Language block I guess. Why would I reproach anything to them?

I'm also disgusted that many Jews died in the Shoah, doesn't mean I'm angry at them?

sequoia

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 11:06 am
Ah, gotcha. The word carries different connotations in English. People are disgusted at molesters, child abusers, etc but not at sick animals (unless they hate animals).

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 11:12 am
sequoia wrote:
Ah, gotcha. The word carries different connotations in English. People are disgusted at molesters, child abusers, etc but not at sick animals (unless they hate animals).

I'm not disgusted at them, I'm disgusted at the situation. It's just too horrible.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 3:58 pm
I find your Ratties series fascinating. Keep 'em coming. Very Happy

Fox

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 4:06 pm
Me, too! It's the first thread I look for when I log in!

Fifteen-year-old DD was leaning over my shoulder the other day when I was scrolling through the pictures, and of course, she wanted an explanation. So I explained that Ruchel and family breed them as pets and sell them. Naturally, she wanted to buy one, but I explained that they are in France.

"Oh, French rats?"

"Yes."

"That's so sweet. Just like 'Ratatouille'!"

So now if I'm on imamother when she bops in from school, she always wants an update on Ruchel's rats.

Butterfly

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 4:41 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
I find your Ratties series fascinating. Keep 'em coming. Very Happy

me too!

Sorry you're going through so many disappointment's lately. Sad
Hope the others will only get better and better real quick bezr"H.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 5:41 pm
Youre really spending so much time, money, and mental health on these pets!!!

WriterMom

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 7:02 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

I kind of know what you mean. On the other hand, people spend time, money and mental health on scrapbooking, golfing, running marathons, etc. A hobby doesn't need to work for anyone but the hobbyist!

I like the updates, even if (sorry Ruchel!) the newborn naked babies look a bit like scary space aliens to me. Very Happy

Ruchel

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 2:42 pm
The babies are in rattie paradise Sad Sad Sad now Shana has lost all her ten kids... (lo alenu)
Physically mom is very fine, and it's probably better for her that she didn't show interest in the kids so she doesn't notice they are all gone. Her milk never came in. The other mommies nurse all the babies in the cage alternatively but she never participated.

The vet thinks it's not a problem that is likely to happen again and think we can try another litter eventually (he knows we breed) but I'm really afraid. On one hand we need her for a breeding project (and finding a fully light blue no white anywhere low-eared sociable and affectionate female rat isn't easy!), on the other hand, what a horror this story has been!

Other news:
2 guys who had been sickly (one had an immunity disease, one had a stroke, lo alenu)are "missing". They probably passed.

A few babies of other mothers aren't doing SO well, but BH most are!

One baby is so, so sick. Some of his older siblings were affected by the same weird (immunity?) disease and passed young. He's now under pain killers just in case. His mother makes SUCH beautiful babies, with very sought-after looks and colours and hair, but fertility issues and immunity issues abound in her lineage... Sad

It's not a very good moment these days for ratties!

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 3:06 pm
Ruchel wrote:
The babies are in rattie paradise Sad Sad Sad now Shana has lost all her ten kids... (lo alenu)
Physically mom is very fine, and it's probably better for her that she didn't show interest in the kids so she doesn't notice they are all gone. Her milk never came in. The other mommies nurse all the babies in the cage alternatively but she never participated.

The vet thinks it's not a problem that is likely to happen again and think we can try another litter eventually (he knows we breed) but I'm really afraid. On one hand we need her for a breeding project (and finding a fully light blue no white anywhere low-eared sociable and affectionate female rat isn't easy!), on the other hand, what a horror this story has been!

Other news:
2 guys who had been sickly (one had an immunity disease, one had a stroke, lo alenu)are "missing". They probably passed.

A few babies of other mothers aren't doing SO well, but BH most are!

One baby is so, so sick. Some of his older siblings were affected by the same weird (immunity?) disease and passed young. He's now under pain killers just in case. His mother makes SUCH beautiful babies, with very sought-after looks and colours and hair, but fertility issues and immunity issues abound in her lineage... Sad

It's not a very good moment these days for ratties!

To lose all 10. Poor rattie. What does "missing" mean? Were they consumed by the others? Confused

Ruchel

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 3:18 pm
Missing may have been eaten when dead (a natural instinct, but also often not happening, so who knows), or running away. It is very weird that nothing would have been found if eaten (friends breeders who had this found stuff for sure).

I had the same thing with fish. Some of them just went "missing", one day. Including, once, a 25 cm long one, alone in his tank (couldn't have been eaten), who couldn't have jumped out of water. shock

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 3:33 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Missing may have been eaten when dead (a natural instinct, but also often not happening, so who knows), or running away. It is very weird that nothing would have been found if eaten (friends breeders who had this found stuff for sure).

I had the same thing with fish. Some of them just went "missing", one day. Including, once, a 25 cm long one, alone in his tank (couldn't have been eaten), who couldn't have jumped out of water. shock

Running away - where to? Aren't they in a cage?

bnm

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 12:57 am
Mama Bear wrote:

I keep thinking that in NY we spend the same amount on exterminators for these type of animals

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 5:56 am
They're in a cage, but it gets open very often, and they're clever enough to put up a "distraction" and to escape, it has happened, though generally we notice (or they come back begging for food Wink ). Especially with Mati it would be easy for one to do a cute thing and a few others to sneak out!

BH here most houses are not infested with wild rats... and when they are, inhabitants don't have the type of money for anything!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 7:17 am
One of the rats has been found. He had decided to move in with the guinea pigs LOL

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 1:02 pm
Curious, how big are the cages and how many ratties per cage? Sorry for all my klotz kashes. Rolling Eyes

Fox

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 1:11 pm
Ruchel wrote:
One of the rats has been found. He had decided to move in with the guinea pigs LOL

That's hilarious! I guess he didn't like the neighborhood he was in!

So sorry about the babies! It should be a reminder to us that we all rely on Hashem's rachmones for our well-being -- even baby ratties! Mom is beautiful (that was her in the 11/23 picture, right?). Such great coloring and such a sweet facial expression! Hopefully she'll be able to have a healthy litter soon.

sneakermom

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 1:17 pm
Temple Grandin wrote a book animals in translation. In any case she writes there how overbreeding for certain features can cause other major issues in the genetics of the animals. I don't remember all the details but I do remember that point. Might want to look into that.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 1:28 pm
These are good questions!

Guinea pigs

- We have one "standard" (about like that http://www.letsbuyit.fr/produc.....47-cm ) for the girly, if IYH she has a daughter they'll live together in there.
- We bought a "very big" (3 floors) for the 5 boys, but they kept fighting, so one was given to a friend (it was love at first sight on both sides Wink ), the long-haired brothers were put in a "standard" cage and the hairless half brothers still live there. Teenagehood isn't easy by the guinea pigs! I'm kinda sad I had to give up one of them, he had gorgeous ultra thin "satin" long hair, but we didn't plan to breed this hair, and he didn't seem to carry the best genes anyway... my friend says she put him together with a girly so I'm still curious to see his kids!

Rats

-One HUGE cage (higher than me) separated into two a girly side and a boyish side, both having three floors. About 10 rats in each?
-Depending on need, one, two, three "maternity cages" (standard size)for couples and then for mommies and babies, before babies are old enough to join "the crowd" LOL
-One cage ("standard") for a very cute but very picky (they don't like other rats or humans, just each other, which is kinda romantic in a way Wink ) couple. Unfortunately (lo alenu!) they are infertile, and I'm trying to find a home for them where they'll be the center of attention! They are in the first post Smile

Indeed overbreeding for certain physical features causes damage!

Just for fun, here is how someone who has really a ton of rats organizes the cages! http://www.worldofrats.com/ROU.....1.jpg (still a "non professional", heimish breeder! professional is more like this [skip if sensitive] http://www.tartaucitron.fr/rat.....d=410 and NOT my cup of tea).
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets