Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Egg-free potato kugel?

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 11:32 am
Has anyone tried making an egg-free potato kugel? I found a recipe but wanted to know if they come out ok in general or it's just better to make with the eggs and make sure my allergic DD doesn't have any.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 1:07 pm
why not make a small one and see how you all like it? you be the judge.

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 1:09 pm
People on this forum have told me they do it. Don't remember who it was. Can you post your recipe please?
And chocolate moose - very funny! (the avatar)

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 2:04 pm
Can you use egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)?

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 2:10 pm
OOTBubby wrote:

I haven't seen them in Israel but I haven't looked too hard either. The eggless recipe I found uses flour.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 2:14 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

I haven't seen them in Israel but I haven't looked too hard either. The eggless recipe I found uses flour.

If you do find them (I'm pretty sure they're available, but I don't know at what price or where -- probably places that cater to Americans) -- they work great (using ΒΌ cup instead of each egg).

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 3:42 pm
The egg replacer I have makes my potato kugel stodgy, but Mommy3.5 had a great tip - substitute a peeled, grated zucchini instead of the eggs! I do mine on the stovetop (make sure to drain the liquid well), and it works perfectly. Mommy3.5 bakes hers, and I guess it works if she told me to do it Wink

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 4:17 pm
OOTBubby wrote:

egg beaters are made of egg white and are not an egg sub.

As young mommy said I have a recipe for egg free potato kugel

Enough sliced potatoes to fill a 4 qt bowl
1 hand grated medium size zucchini
3/4 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion
3/4 c oil heated

pulse onion and potato in food processor, pour in to a bowl, add hand grated zucchini and spices and flour, mix well, add sizzling oil, mix well. pour into 9x13 pan and bake until browned.

When it comes out of the oven it will be runny, let it cool completelt, it will firm up, it remains firm when reheated.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 4:21 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

3/4 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion
3/4 c oil heated

pulse onion and potato in food processor, pour in to a bowl, add hand grated zucchini and spices and flour, mix well, add sizzling oil, mix well. pour into 9x13 pan and bake until browned.

When it comes out of the oven it will be runny, let it cool completelt, it will firm up, it remains firm when reheated.

Thanks so much. That's the recipe I found online but was hesitant to try without confirming it comes out good.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 10:29 pm
mommy 3.5 I also thank you so much for this recipe. I have a neighbour who is allergic to eggs and it will be a pleasure to cook a kugel for his family.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 11:01 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

3/4 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion
3/4 c oil heated

Thanks so much. That's the recipe I found online but was hesitant to try without confirming it comes out good.

This took me a lot of trial and error to figure it out, If you found it online, I'm almost certain I posted it. I have put it on quite a few allergy boards. I never found a recipe that came even close to it, and believe me, I searched!

allergymom

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 9:40 pm
Can you use anything besides zucchini? my son is allergic to that also. I tried a recipe that uses flour instead of egg. It stayed together, but my son didnt like it. I wasn't worth it.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 3:41 pm
I never tried with anything else. It might sound a bit gross, but maybe cucumbers, Or something that has an eggy consistency when grated. I am drawing a blank though on what other veggies would do that.

allrgymama

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 1:49 pm
@Lech Lecha08: I've used an egg-free potato kugel recipe from the Allergy Free At Last cookbook that came out very good. It uses carrots, so the color is a bit orange, though.

If you'd like the recipe, I'd be happy to go dig it out. What else is your son allergic to?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 2:21 pm
allrgymama wrote:
@Lech Lecha08: I've used an egg-free potato kugel recipe from the Allergy Free At Last cookbook that came out very good. It uses carrots, so the color is a bit orange, though.

If you'd like the recipe, I'd be happy to go dig it out. What else is your son allergic to?

I would love this recipe, if you don't mind posting!

I'm thinking of trying Mommy3.5's recipe this week. Does anyone have any feedback on it?

allrgymama

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 5:19 pm
So, like a really smart person, I came to my mother for Yom Tov and left my cookbook at home.

*palmface*

Does anyone have the potato kugel recipe from Allergy Free At Last that uses carrots?

mommyofboygirls

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 9:42 pm
I wanted to let you all know that I made this recipe this shabbos and it was great. I made half a recipe in case it didn't turn out well and I wished I had made a fulll recipe. It was so good. I will be making it every shabbos. Actually, I have a full recipe in the oven right now....couldn't wait. I did make a slight change. I like my potato kugel with sliced potatoes, like scalloped potato fashion, so I did that with yukon gold potatoes and then for the half recipe I put maybe 3 large yukon golds in the food processor with the onion.

Edit: it was Mommy3.5's recipe that is posted a bit up in the thread, the one with the zucchini. Thanks Mommy3.5...you are amazing.

abs

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 10:12 pm
If you are still looking for egg free potato kugel, someone recently gave me this recipe. I was skeptical until I tasted it. For no eggs, it was surprisingly good!
6 c. grated potatoes
2onions
9 T. potato starch
2 t. salt
dash pepper
5 T. oil
Its a very low 9x13, but don't try making it higher. It doesn't come out as good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics