Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Will cooking it this way work?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 3:27 pm
My mil brought over a roast and a duck and she said that both were only half cooked (for one hour) and that I needed to put them in the oven tomorrow and cook them the rest of the way (put them in for another hour because they need to cook two hours total).

I always thought that you can't cook meat or poultry that way (half at a time) because the inside of the meat has to reach a certain temperature in order to fully cook, and it takes a long time for the heat to reach the inside and cook it to the right temperature, and that by cooking it only for one hour means that the outside is cooked but the inside is still raw, and if you put it in the oven again a different day for another hour, the outside is cooking again (and getting dry) while the heat is still not reaching the inside and completely cooking it to the right temperature.

Will they come out okay of I just do what my mil told me to do or is there a better (safer) way to cook them? Thanks!

louche

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 3:38 pm
I think you're right. If you're not machmir on serving a whole intact bird or roast, cut up those babies into individual portions and bake in the oven or steam them in a pot on the stove. That's what I do with my turkeys when they look too pink for my peace of mind.

shanie5

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 6:44 pm
At a major catering hall, the chefs told me that is how they cook food for a big party in advance and still have it all fresh tasting. cook halfway, freeze, finish the cooking right before the event itself.

myfriends715

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 6:46 pm
thats how food is always cooked b4 dinner service in restaurants, pre cooked 1/2 way then when u order it they finish the job
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics