Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Whats going on with osem onion soup mix?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Levtov

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 9:30 am
Believe me, I don't think anybody in the world does so much cooking like our average heimisha kitchens. We use fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh garlic and onions galore. I don't think it is the end of the world if you occasionally use some soup mixes for different flavors!

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 11:53 am
I cannot consume MSG because it triggers migraines. And I have a child who has developed an allergy to it.

Once she was diagnosed, we started reading and found that really it's all the glutamates which are artificial flavor enhancers.

SOoooooo even if your soup mix says, "NO MSG" take a look at the label! Any of the listed below are also glutamates and can cause the same reactions as "MSG":

- autolyzed yeast
- hydrolyzed yeast
- tortulo yeast
- anytime you see "yeast" in a non-wheat product (ie on flavored popcorn, chips, etc).
- "artificial flavors"
- anything produced overseas that says "spices" or "flavors" can contain glutamates

Start looking at your processed products and you'll find lots of glutamates.

A VERY EASY SUBSTITUTE for Onion soup mix is either dried minced onion or onion powder and copious amounts of salt.

mazelandbracha

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 1:17 pm
Levtov wrote:
Believe me, I don't think anybody in the world does so much cooking like our average heimisha kitchens. We use fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh garlic and onions galore. I don't think it is the end of the world if you occasionally use some soup mixes for different flavors!

Exactly! It's not like we're not cooking a hundred other things today, without soup mix. Rolling Eyes Everything in moderation. There is a study out there for everything, and another study that goes the opposite way. (maybe there should be a closed forum for people who eat "junk" to share recipes and ask questions in peace!)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 1:21 pm
MorahSara wrote:
Levtov wrote:

Exactly! It's not like we're not cooking a hundred other things today, without soup mix. Rolling Eyes Everything in moderation. There is a study out there for everything, and another study that goes the opposite way. (maybe there should be a closed forum for people who eat "junk" to share recipes and ask questions in peace!)

New thread: ISO Osem soup ice cream recipe.

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 1:23 pm
MorahSara wrote:
Levtov wrote:

You want to eat it, gezunterheit! I just think people should know that a product can say "NO MSG" and still contain glutamates which causes the same chemical reactions in the body. I am by FAR the biggest advocate of better living through chemicals and about as far from the earthy crunchy momma as you can get. Many people don't know - I'm just sharing information. Smile I think MSG tastes yummy but I don't particularly care for the migraines it causes in me Smile. To each his own. But you can accomplish the same taste factor with onion powder and salt as a substitute!

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 1:25 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
MorahSara wrote:
Levtov wrote:

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Don't laugh. I have a friend who when she's pregnant all she wants is vanilla ice cream with mushroom sauce on top.

mazelandbracha

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 1:25 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
MorahSara wrote:
Levtov wrote:

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 1:46 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Recently there was an article about MSG, I think it was in Newsweek. It seems that MSG is actually a naturally occuring chemical somewhere or another. Maybe seaweed in Japan? Something like that. Food manufacturers "ra'u ki tov" and formulated a synthetic version.
I don't know whether it's dangerous or not. I do think we saw reactions in our eldest after he ate something with MSG so we cut it out. I really and truly do not understand the soup-mix culture. It's rampant here in Israel and it's in everything. I find it bites my tongue and is very salty. I can't eat soup in a hotel or most restaurants because of the soup mix they add. Why can't people cook without it?

I put Kombu (seaweed) into my chicken soup to give it that extra something. Really delicious and 100% natural.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:00 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
Recently there was an article about MSG, I think it was in Newsweek. It seems that MSG is actually a naturally occuring chemical somewhere or another. Maybe seaweed in Japan? Something like that. Food manufacturers "ra'u ki tov" and formulated a synthetic version.
I don't know whether it's dangerous or not. I do think we saw reactions in our eldest after he ate something with MSG so we cut it out. I really and truly do not understand the soup-mix culture. It's rampant here in Israel and it's in everything. I find it bites my tongue and is very salty. I can't eat soup in a hotel or most restaurants because of the soup mix they add. Why can't people cook without it?

I put Kombu (seaweed) into my chicken soup to give it that extra something. Really delicious and 100% natural.

Entirely ignorant question - there's no 'fish' in these seaweeds?

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:01 pm
Zus wrote:
IMO non MSG soup powder tastes just as good. In fact, I can't taste the difference at all.
I also put it in almost everything Smile

While I don't use the MSG version, it doesn't taste the same IME. The MSG soup powder is much more flavorful.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:36 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
MiracleMama wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

Fish? It's a plant. You have to check for tiny sea critters, same as you have to check reg veggies for bugs, but it's not "fish". Seaweed is pareve.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:40 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
MiracleMama wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

Fish? It's a plant. You have to check for tiny sea critters, same as you have to check reg veggies for bugs, but it's not "fish". Seaweed is pareve.
(Fish is also parve.) Gotcha.

pina colada

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:44 pm
aidelmaidel wrote:
I cannot consume MSG because it triggers migraines. And I have a child who has developed an allergy to it.

Once she was diagnosed, we started reading and found that really it's all the glutamates which are artificial flavor enhancers.

[color=green][size=24]A VERY EASY SUBSTITUTE for Onion soup mix is either dried minced onion or onion powder and copious amounts of salt.

thanks so much for this info

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 3:11 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
(Fish is also parve.) Gotcha.

Right. I should have said vegetarian. Wink

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 3:22 pm
Come to Chicago -- plenty Osem Onion Soup Mix here on the shelves (just came from the store and saw it).

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 5:38 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Come to Chicago -- plenty Osem Onion Soup Mix here on the shelves (just came from the store and saw it).

Ah, but how old is it?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 6:19 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Ah, but how old is it?

No way to know, but they get stock regularly.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Sep 30 2010, 12:51 pm
A person needs glutamates. It is a neurotransmitter.

http://www.foodinsight.org/Res.....amate

Tamiri

Post Thu, Sep 30 2010, 12:55 pm
HindaRochel wrote:

HR I think I know you better than that... you don't mean we need glutamates that occur in Osem soup mix, do you?

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Sep 30 2010, 1:12 pm
Tamiri wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:

HR I think I know you better than that... you don't mean we need glutamates that occur in Osem soup mix, do you?

No, but I don't think one can be allergic to glutamates, and it appears that in general people are not allergic to MSG, but I would think rather the problem might be the source for the MSG. The reason I think this is important is because if there is a health issue one should be certain of the source.

Quote:
MSG is not an allergen, according to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has found no evidence to suggest any long-term, serious health consequences from consuming MSG. It is possible that some people might be sensitive to MSG, just as to many other foods and food ingredients. There are some reports that mild, temporary reactions to MSG may occur in a small portion of the population, based on tests with a large dose of MSG in the absence of food.

Rather than avoiding MSG one should find the source of the problem and avoid that.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus