Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Cooling a house

amother

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 1:04 am
My house is B"h very open and airy which in any other season I love however now in the summer it is impossible to cool off cuz we dont have central a/c and to install it is way beyond our budget right now. Does anyone have any good ideas of what to do. we have window a/c in most of the rooms but because they are so open and go one into the other its not cooling to optimum.

lucky

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 7:38 am
Try to put curtains between rooms. I use the tension rods so I don't have to make holes in the walls. Even if it is an open space, (And not all of the doorway is covered) the cool air will stay in the rooms.

You don't even have to sew or buy regular curtains. I just got fabric remnants at $1 a yard. You can make a casement using safety pins.

Anothe idea is to use fans to circulate the cold air.

tziviakayla

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 8:52 am
Keep all the windows closed, even in the rooms that don't have the window units. Close all the curtains and blinds. Put the window units to the lowest degree possible. When we had window units we kept them on 60 degrees. Since hot air rises. the upstairs will always be much cooler than the downstairs. It's VERY hard to keep up with this heat.

mommy2

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 7:16 pm
You can look into air conditioning-called split unit, basically u attach it to a wall and the other piece is outdoors, it's not cheap, but far less expensive then central
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics