Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
If you had to pack your life in 2 suitcases...

amother

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 7:07 am
If you had to pack your life or what is most important to you what would you bring? Here's the background to this question. I currently live in Israel with my dh and 4 children. My dh broke both of his legs in a collision with a tnuva truck. The system here is so corrupt that these big companies have power and pull and will probably wind up not having to pay anything for the accident (maybe just covering hospital bills). My husband hasn't been able to work since the accident, and with my limited hebrew and 4 kids under the age of 5 with the youngest being 4 months, its also impossible for me to help out with parnassa. (If I do work more than half of the pay would go to ganim and sitters for the 2nd half of the day). So we are moving back to the states with no savings. Embarrassed to say I would get gov assistance and hopefully vouchers so I can work until my dh recovers.

Now we would have to start from scratch with just 2 suitcases each. For sure I would bring our clothing but not all would fit in just 2 suitcases each, and what about our sefarim? I cannot imagine leaving our books. They are quite expensive. What to do? Again I wont be able to replace much for a while since we are going with hardly anything to live off of. Any ideas?

Liba

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 7:26 am
Have you applied for bituach leumi for your husband? How long has he been injured for and how long do you expect it to be until he is back on his feet?

The government here does a fairly good job helping out people who were working legally and have become disabled if the disability is long term, which I think means over six months. They are pretty quick (relative to the US) about getting payments figured to you as well.

I would pack my computer, camera, pictures, medications, all of your husband's medical records and any records that you might need from any other family member, important documents, favorite clothings, kids toys, my lichter, my husband's magilla and silver kosos, and the afghans which my husband's grandmother made for each of us.

I am so sorry you are in this situation. If you want to stay here and have the support you need I hope you find a way to make staying financially possible.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 7:48 am
Yes bituach leumi said he qualified for some assistance but we are hardly making ends meet with the meds and med assistance. Hashem is seeing us through somehow.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 7:51 am
and yes I'd definitely take the sentimental items, but the kids toys are going to have to be given away unfortunately.

Liba

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 8:21 am
Are you covered by kupat cholim? If you do there is a cap on the amount that you should be paying for medications every month. At a certain point either they should stop taking payments or you submit your receipts and get a refund (depending on the kupah policies). If your husband is receiving nechut he should not be paying copayments on any of his doctors appointments or for any of his hitchayviot.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 9:10 am
MY BTDT advice:

Make sure that you really are getting everything you can from BL and KC. We live on nichut from dh's severe disability and as Liba says we do not have to pay out of pocket for more than a very small amount for dh's meds (if we had to pay anywhere near what they actually cost I cannot imagine the cost)

If you are sure leaving is the best option are you planning to come back?

I suggest you talk to an organization that explains the rights of the disabled. Also talk to a lawyer. You should not have to leave the country because of this.

Toys are pretty easily replaceable in the US- yard sales, even people throwing out perfectly good stuff.

When Dh needed a transplant and left me and a few kids in Israel for a few months, until I was a month to my due date so I flew with the kids and I think we took 6 or so suitcases and went to join him in the US. What I packed- picture albums, camera, music tapes and CDs, kids favorite books and small toys, our silver becher and clothes for that season for all of us and a few other sentimental and essential things, important documents.

You should consider that tuition in the US is very, very high and it's hard to get breaks. Also the cost of living is just higher. It also takes awhile to be approved for medicaid and other programs and they won't take kindly to the fact that you came from another country to get on them.
If you live in a central location call ezer mitzion and any other organization you can think of. There is so much help out there, so much chessed and tzedakah.

Also please come join us in the husbands with chronic illness and disability forum. Its hard to be the sole caretaker of the family. You need emotional support from others who are there.

Liba, I hope its okay, I'm offering you as a go between if the OP wants to PM me she can Pm you and you can tell her my screenname. Hug

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 9:12 am
Family stuff, but it would never fit.

Liba

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 9:15 am
Of course! Anything I can do to help.

I have some experience with nechut, but as a housewife, not as a head of a house hold. Your knowledge would be very helpful.

cinnamon

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 9:30 am
I am so sorry you are going through this.

I would take clothes some linen and kitchen utensils, important documents, leichters and kidush cup.
can you maybe ship some stuff to the u.s?

If you do decide to try and stay I recommend going to the machon lmimush zechuyot refuyot. They take a percentage of whatever you get but they have a lot of experience with BL and might be able to get more then you would without them. Also they take care of everything so you don't have it on your head. (You have enough as it is running the home almost on your own)

May Hashem give you the strength and wisdom that you need and a refuah shleima to your husband.

m0m

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 9:52 am
refuah shelaima to him. and hopefully your move will go well. For starters try to make a yard sale- I did it here and made good money and will make one again. Just for things you can and will do without but why not get the cash. Try to get it all out make as much as someone will pay but within reason. See if there is anyone you know that has some storage / machsan that maybe you can put some impt things that you cant throw out or take and someday if you can afford you will get it over to the states. Then see if there are people who have extra suitcases and you can leave a few packed ones with stuff like clothing and things that wont cause problems in airports- ppl dont like taking other ppls things that give issues and last but not least- I have no idea what you should take but advice is try to sell stuff- things that can be re-bought- even if not now cuz lack of funds- you can get again. You can sell lots of clothing for 15 shekel each and buy maybe less stuff but a few nice things in stores like TJ Max and Marshalls- whatever your new location has. This way you wont have nothing but you will have cash. You cant imagine what people need and would pay for. Take a lot of stuff with you in personal bags on the plane. If you take a carriage- I have found that you take a bunch of plastic bags from makolet and put it in your pocket and stuff bottom of carriage and pockets and backpack and baby bag for each kid- you say you got kids in diapers and kids that puke- it works every time- they dont even ask- and when its time for carriage to go through- throw stuff into bags. It is a huge shlep of a trip but you will have more room. You can look like a bag lady but it will get things through. Good luck on your trip- I hope you find strength to cope- it cant be easy and it wont- but hopefully in the end it will all work out. And hopefully there are nice people that can take stuff for you. wherever you live see if you can post- janglo or sumthing and see if out of all the succos visitors there is someone willing to take an innocent suitcase for you- clothing and such. hatzlacha and G-d bless.

zipporah

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 1:46 pm
OP-

We don't want you to make yerida. What can we do to help? Do you have any pull with people with answers? Did you come with NBN or can you talk to the AACI? Can your husband write well or work from home on the phone?

You can also have someone PM me on your behalf, and we can see what we can do.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 2:32 pm
maybe someone would be happy to babysit your sefarim for you till you can ship them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics