Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Electric griddle is to blame for last week’s deadly fire
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 7:07 am
Electric griddle is to blame for last week’s deadly fire- what will you do differently from now on, on Shabbos and Yom Tov, to prevent fires?

http://www.vosizneias.com/6536.....-fire

Midwood, NY - Investigators with the New York City Fire Department say an electric griddle is to blame for last week’s deadly three-alarm fire in Brooklyn. They say the griddle was left on, igniting a wooden counter in the kitchen at a home on Avenue P in Midwood Wednesday night.

Avigdor Krasny, 8, was trapped by the flames and pronounced dead at the hospital.

Three other boys and two girls were pulled from the fire and taken to the hospital.

Four firefighters suffered minor injuries.

Some of the Comments:
Anonymous Says: Everyone, please, please fit smoke detectors by kitchens. It only takes a few seconds to check them every week or so.

...." Terrible. This happened to my family 50 years ago. We had such a griddle for Pesach and it was on a wood counter. The counter started smoking and we smelled it. BH nothing happened except the counter was ruined. I hope at least that people will now be aware of the danger of these shabbos blechs. All you need to do is put something under it".

" Frum Yidden need to start using Shabbos Clocks to turn these appliances on and off. Having these run for 72+ hours non stop during 3 day Yom Tovim is asking for trouble. Everyone also needs to have working smoke alarms, ABC fire extinguishers and rope ladders for easy escape from a third floor window".

"It's time we started using common sense when applying shabbos halacha. It is dangerous to leave a hot plate on for 72 hours, therefore either chose another option, or turn it off, even on shabbos".

" Was this electric griddle left on for three days? Should we all be using timers on our croc pots and hot plates so these electric appliances shut off soon after the time the food is expected to be served?"

yo'ma

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 7:27 am
I use one on shabbos, since my hot plate for the crockpot broke, but I leave mine on the stove.

It's so sad!! There are so many ways to avoid having a fire and it's usually simple.

I was in a fire when I was little, but b"h everyone came out okay because a few weeks or months before a family in the neighborhood was killed in a fire, so we were prepared.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 7:37 am
never used an electric griddle, but don't most people put platas and electric rings on timers? why pay for all that extra electricity?

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 7:48 am
what exactly is an electric griddle? I'm associating it with grill, but probably it's a hot plate?

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 7:50 am
TzenaRena wrote:
what exactly is an electric griddle? I'm associating it with grill, but probably it's a hot plate?

try google images. it looks like a thing you make burgers on, except you plug it in rather then putting it on a stove.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 8:06 am
I suspect they mean an electric blech- sold in all the Judaica stores in Brooklyn. They come in all sizes. You put pots on it, you dont cook directly on it. People put it on the counter or table.

bigprincess

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:
I suspect they mean an electric blech- sold in all the Judaica stores in Brooklyn. They come in all sizes. You put pots on it, you dont cook directly on it. People put it on the counter or table.

Its not a blech its more like a frying pan but you plug it in.

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 2:04 pm
bigprincess wrote:
amother wrote:

Its not a blech its more like a frying pan but you plug it in.

I'm guessing that the fire department either wasn't familiar with or didn't want to issue a statement that had to explain what a plata or electric blech is, so they used a term that people who are not O Jews would understand.

These holidays all scare the (&(*& out of me for just this reason.

Does anyone know how the kids are doing, physically?

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 8:05 pm
I am completely devastated by this tragedy.

This is why the 3 day YT's are so brutal.... For Pesach I usually leave a crockpot on for THREE days but I leave it half full of plain water until I am ready to cook... I have done this three or four time... Do you think this is safe??!

ALSO...

What about leaving a hot plate on for three days on a granite counter top... I have done this also a few times but not thrilled with the idea. Can I set a timer to have it turn on--on YT and off on YT?!

How does this work??! I never really researched all these halachos..

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 8:11 pm
I agree, they're probably talking about an electric blech, which you can use a timer for. I don't know why - I always heard you couldn't. Until, I randomly asked my YESHIVISH Rav and he said you could!

I remember looking at a house to rent in our neighborhood and they also had a wooden countertop that was black and all burned from the bochrim who had been living there. They put their plata on top and it burned right through! So scary!

Always put your plata on top of your stove, why use the counter space? Plus, it's supposed to be hot!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 8:16 pm
Is that a regular hotplate? I left mine on for all 3 days yomtov as well.

Our smoke detector is in our hallway. If we had one in the kitchen it would probably go off too often!...

mammele26

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 9:24 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Is that a regular hotplate? I left mine on for all 3 days yomtov as well.

Our smoke detector is in our hallway. If we had one in the kitchen it would probably go off too often!...

That's why they don't belong in the kitchen. AFAIK they belong in the hallways, one not too far from the kitchen and one near the bedroom doors (of course it depends on the size and layout of the house/apartment- for some one is enough for the whole apt.) If they are where they belong they WILL go off when necessary.

Marion

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 10:36 pm
Why, why, why would one put any appliance meant to get hot on a WOODEN surface?

But yes, our plata is on a timer. My crock pot I put on a timer for the first time this RH, as I didn't need it until the 2nd day.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 10:55 pm
kitchen counters are made of formica... where else should the hotplate be put?

Tova

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 10:55 pm
Hashem Yerachem Crying

I really think they mean a plata --- it does look like a big griddle.

I do know of another deadly tragedy on a 3 day Y"T a few years back when an air conditioner was left on a timer. I don't know all the rules of fire safety or electricity, but it's probrably best to minimize what's left on and use timers appropriately.

It is very important that there is a plan/ way to get out from upper levels of a home. They sell fire ladders, etc. In our house, there is a flat porch roof right outside of the master bedroom window. All bedrooms are within several feet of the master bedroom. From there, it is a small drop to the porch/bushes below. When we had our home inspection I specifically asked the inspector to get on the roof and ensure it would hold several people's weight in case a family needs to get out in a hurry.

Tova

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 10:56 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
kitchen counters are made of formica... where else should the hotplate be put?

Right - I was thinking that...is that what they mean by a wood surface? Because it is some sort of wood composite underneath the finish (at least mine is).

amother

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 11:02 pm
Quote:
where else should the hotplate be put?

On top of the stove top. Its the safest and you dont use up counter space.

I always use a timer on my hotplate and crockpot, shabbos and Y"T.

Tova

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 11:05 pm
What about when the oven is kept on over Yom Tov? Still best to use stovetop? (Personally, I leave oven on and a crockpot; I don't own a plata).

Tamiri

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 11:52 pm
It could be that the elecrical system in the house was outdated, and simply overheated or shorted due to extensive use of the plate or something else.

miriamg

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 11:56 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
where else should the hotplate be put?

On top of the stove top. Its the safest and you dont use up counter space.

I always use a timer on my hotplate and crockpot, shabbos and Y"T.

How do you put a plata on your stove top? I know that some stoves here (the single stove/oven combos)come with covers, but what do you do if you have a countertop stove which doesn't? I've been putting my plata on my washing machine with aluminum foil under it, but I'm thinking that that may not be so safe either.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen