Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning Lady Stealing?? How to Deal with it
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 2:51 pm
I have a very sweet cleaning lady who comes a few times a week. Over the past two or three weeks, a few things have gone missing - $100 cash, a gold watch, my blackberry and my recently $250 cash, in an envelope with a handwritten message. Up till the $250 cash, I wasn't really suspicious because I thought perhaps I hadn't checked enough or didn't really pay attention. But this envelope - I can't think of any other possibility. It was on the dining room table on Hoshana Rabba and afterwards couldn't be found.

My question is how to approach this? My objective is to get the things back. I was thinking to tell her that I noticed these things are missing and want her to look for it, in the hope that she'll come back with them next time? Any ideas??

dlj

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 4:05 pm
I'm afraid that the only answer is to get rid of her. She'll know exactly why if it was her who took the things. Tell her you're sorry to have to say bye to her, but you're sure she understands why you have to make that decision. She might come grovelling, in which case, you can ask for things back before you politely tell her you can't have someone work for you who is dishonest.

dlj

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 4:06 pm
Oh and by the way - just be warned that cleaning ladies who decide to be dishonest can steal bizarre things - I know someone who had their cleaning lady take shmatters - explain that!!

fiddle

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 4:11 pm
kill her.. only after you get your stuff back

amother

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 4:39 pm
Any advice on how to get my stuff back? Or is that impossible...

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 4:57 pm
Why not cal your local police...and see what they say?

The fear alone might get your stuff back!

my friend lost a saphire pendant a long with random cash a while ago and just knew the cleaner had taken it, so she informed the cleaner that a police file was opened on the case and that she might be interviewed and that all pawn shops across town had pics and details ...guess what? the next day it was found at a local pawn shop!
sold by a "guy" in disguise LOL 8)

I grew up with nannies....and personally have zero trust in them ,they stole and hiked their skirt at my dad and male guests too many times (my dad fired the chick on the spot)...

once we ran into one at the store/mall dressed to the nines in my mums clothes ,fancy purse and jewelry, she looked white as ghost and was reported and charged with theft as we are talking expensive jewels here.

this made my mum EXTRA paranoid Rolling Eyes and turned me into molly maid....LOL (I sucked Wink so she eventually got new help)

twinkle

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 11:36 pm
I am not sure what I would do but just be careful about reporting it to the police if she is not a legal citizan and a legal maid. good luck.

#1baker

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 11:40 pm
tell her that ull send her back to her country!! it really works

amother

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 12:25 am
we had this and we cornered her and threatened to call the cops on her unless she gave it back, we got back 1/2 with the promise of the rest the next day but surprise she never showed.

Someone else I know actually called the cops and had her lady arrested, apparently they can't do anything to you for hiring her, it's different departments that don't cross so you can try that, not sure if she got everything back but she got revenge.

If you live in lkwd beware that there was one going from house to house stealing for a while supposedly she went back to mexico but they don't really know.

anon since many know my story.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 1:23 am
Just get rid of her.
Threatening her can backfire. If she is a theif, then who knows who her peers are and what they are capable of doing as retribution.
Just let her go. May it be a Kapara.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 3:47 am
I heard people had luck with Shomrim - if you have such an organization in your neighborhood.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 4:18 am
have you tried asking her? Mention your phone is missing, and has she see it? It's possible she saw these items and put them in a drawer or other safe place.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 4:38 am
if you knew, without a shadow of a doubt that it was truly her that stole those things, I would fire her outright. who wants someone in their home who they can not trust.

mama-star

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 8:33 am
shlomitsmum - "hiking up her skirt?" could that really be? how did that take place? shock

interestedbrooklyn

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 8:40 am
Not to blame the victim because it is really terrible to have your stuff stolen and there is no excuse but if you have a cleaning lady coming in put your valuables in one spot - not in front of her nose. That way you know where they are and she doesn't (or can't claim to have) mistakenly throw out an envelope with some writing on it. I'm sorry that you're going through this and I hope she does own up to it if she took the stuff and you get it back. Hotzlocha

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 1:46 pm
mama-star wrote:
shlomitsmum - "hiking up her skirt?" could that really be? how did that take place? shock

Sure ...B'H I have a photo memory LOL!

I was 12 her name was gina skinny short italian chick ...my new aupair...my dad came in to say hi to me after a business trip ,she said to me "go tidy up the puzzels inthe corner" I wanna meet your daddy .... then ,she started off by telling him she was stunned he was so young then she sat down on the playroom couch (orange) sideways slowly rubbing the side of her leg ,then her knee .smiling asking him questions like: I see you like tennis ,is such a good workout .....

next thing I know is my dad leaves comes back with a check and said .."I do not think you are a good match for my daughter" I thought he was mad at her for sending me to the corner to clean, he later told my mum what she did and the leg rubbing and that she hiked up the skirt ....I was in the corner he knows ,what he saw. ewwww.

It took me a while to understand what I had whitnessed but even though my dad is not the best guy in the world he came from a divorced home due to infidelity and HATES sleeze women who pry on married men. He said it was a pleasure to send her packing....talk about baggage! Rolling Eyes
Plus he had no problem telling potential employers wives about the "friendly issue" as a community service Wink

marina

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 2:01 pm
Here's a little story.

One motzai shabbos we noticed that our car window had a bullet hole through it. We were appalled. We called the cops. We told them to start looking for the hoodlums who did this! We were outraged! We filed police reports and started investigations and told our neighbors and...

...and boy was it embarrassing when it turned out that our 8 year old daughter was throwing pebbles with her friends on shabbos and hit the car window. Turns out some pebble holes look exactly like bullet holes.

Hope you enjoyed that nice story. Have a lovely day.

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 2:31 pm
marina wrote:
Here's a little story.

One motzai shabbos we noticed that our car window had a bullet hole through it. We were appalled. We called the cops. We told them to start looking for the hoodlums who did this! We were outraged! We filed police reports and started investigations and told our neighbors and...

...and boy was it embarrassing when it turned out that our 8 year old daughter was throwing pebbles with her friends on shabbos and hit the car window. Turns out some pebble holes look exactly like bullet holes.

You think OP's kids took the stuff??? Or am I missing something .......Scratching Head

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 2:35 pm
marina wrote:
Here's a little story.

This is one of the times I agree with marina. I can think of a thousand things that could have happened to those objects. Especially if you have kids.

Why would a person risk her job for items worth a few hundred dollars?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 2:35 pm
Shlomitsmum me thinks Marina is implying that one shouldnt jump to conclusions and making assumptions about who did. What proof is there that the cleaning lady really stole stuff? Maybe it was misplaced and put in different areas of the house, maybe someone in the house mistakenly took it. Before accusing someone, without knowing it for fact, first test it out and figure out what happened. The if it turns out the cleaning lady really did do it, figure out how to proceed after that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics