Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you dry wet hamsters who got caught in the rain?
1  2  Next

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:32 am
My DS1 put a fan on them but that's a recipe for death. Can I put them in the microwave for a few seconds? Would that dry their fur?

bubby

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:35 am
ARE YOU KIDDING??? shock

Nuked hamsters? Puke And you think a hair drier is bad?

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:37 am
Oh yeah... a hair dryer. Good idea. Any volunteers to hold them while I do their coiffure?
I wrote fan, and I meant fan - they type that keeps you cool. The hair dryer kind, as you may know from Israel, is a "fehn".

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:38 am
bubby wrote:
ARE YOU KIDDING??? shock

Hey, compared to what I'm serving for Shabbos meal tonight, they may actually look appetizing!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:43 am
Fön is yiddish, no?

louche

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:43 am
erm...you let your hamsters out? Time off for good behavior? How do house animals get caught in the rain? Were they out looking for the cake in MacArthur Park?

shosh

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:46 am
Tamiri wrote:
bubby wrote:
ARE YOU KIDDING??? shock

Hey, compared to what I'm serving for Shabbos meal tonight, they may actually look appetizing!

If that's what you serve for Shabbos sometimes, I ain't eating in your house!

bubby

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 7:55 am
Tamiri wrote:
bubby wrote:
ARE YOU KIDDING??? shock

I am LITERALLY LOL!!!! Thanks for sending me off with a smile on my face! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

ora_43

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 8:02 am
My first thought seeing the title was "anything but the microwave."

They may look tasty, but I hear it's not easy getting the smell of cooked hamster out of your kitchen.

I second using a hair dryer. Or just let them air dry, what's the worst that can happen? So they'll be a little cold. Better a hamster with a runny nose than a nuked hamster.

Nomad

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 8:12 am
ora "Better a hamster with a runny nose than a nuked hamster." - lol!

I was thinking let them air dry but make sure the room is warm. (turn on the heat?) and maybe cover the cage to prevent drafts...

you dont want to burn them with a hair dryer and I would DEFINITELY not nuke em as it would heat up ALL their body parts (e.g. eyes...) and not just dry their hair.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 8:27 am
louche wrote:
erm...you let your hamsters out? Time off for good behavior? How do house animals get caught in the rain? Were they out looking for the cake in MacArthur Park?
If you belonged to Life in Israel, you would know. But since you are so very bodiciously entertaining I will tell you:
Today was a GREAT spring cleaning day. After all the heat, this is the first Friday that it's decent outside. I opened the windows, washed the screens and trissim on a few of them and put Hammie the Murderer and his 2 hamster buddies out on the open porch while we sponja-ed.
And then Sha'arei Shamyim niftechu. And it poured.
While I was cleaning the GROSS bird cage with 2 inches of green gunk on the enclosure and the tray.
So I forgot about the hamsters.
Oops embarrassed

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 8:29 am
Nomad wrote:
ora "Better a hamster with a runny nose than a nuked hamster." - lol!

I was thinking let them air dry but make sure the room is warm. (turn on the heat?) and maybe cover the cage to prevent drafts...

you dont want to burn them with a hair dryer and I would DEFINITELY not nuke em as it would heat up ALL their body parts (e.g. eyes...) and not just dry their hair.
Heat? It's STILL a million degrees outside, just a bit cooler than it was. They are now in the bathtub and sink. I think 2 in sink one in bathtub or vice versa, while the now clean enclosures (2 cages and a big, wet bucket) dry after being cleaned out. You should have seen how much rain water was collected in the bucket! Hamster swimming lessons, anyone?

Yocheved84

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:10 am
How about holding them wrapped in a washcloth/small towel (with their head sticking out so they can breathe)? Putting them in the microwave = Chernobyl.

shanie5

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:11 am
Are these hamsters kept in the same cage? How long have u had them? We had hamsters in the same cage -and for a while they were fine. Then, well, lets say it probably would have been better if we nuked them!!

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:26 am
Yocheved84 wrote:
How about holding them wrapped in a washcloth/small towel (with their head sticking out so they can breathe)? Putting them in the microwave = Chernobyl.
Yocheved you must have too much time on your hands. What will you suggest next: manicures for their itty bitty hentelach and feesalach? This is the KIDS' job, don't you know that? I have other jobs. But I'm also a sucker.

Yocheved84

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:28 am
Tamiri wrote:
Yocheved84 wrote:
Yocheved you must have too much time on your hands. What will you suggest next: manicures for their itty bitty hentelach and feesalach? This is the KIDS' job, don't you know that? I have other jobs. But I'm also a sucker.

LOL Manicures would be soooo cute! Smile When we had a dog, we would wrap her in a towel if she got soaked...But manicures on hamsters sounds adorable Surprised)

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:30 am
Tamiri wrote:
My DS1 put a fan on them but that's a recipe for death. Can I put them in the microwave for a few seconds? Would that dry their fur?

Nuking bad idea. REALLY bad idea.

I'd do towels and let them have something nice and cozy warm to snuggle in...like leave some toweling on the floor of their cage.

I never knew hamsters got outdoor time...

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:32 am
shanie5 wrote:
Are these hamsters kept in the same cage? How long have u had them? We had hamsters in the same cage -and for a while they were fine. Then, well, lets say it probably would have been better if we nuked them!!
So I guess you missed the part about Hammie the Murderer. He has succesfully murdered at least 2!!!!! of his mates. So, he's kept in Hamster Siberia, aka "THE BUCKET". We have a huge bucket from Costco (to give you an indication of huge) that came filled with sand toys. And thence he makes his farshtunkeneh home. I keep threatening to toss him into the woods to feed him to the lizards an snakes but the tears welling up in my DS4's grey eyes and his trembling upper lip when I tell him this, prevent me from carrying out the execution. Or from executing the hamster. Whichever comes first. In fact, on Wed. when I requested he clean the cages and bucket and he "didn't hear", I figured I'd do it myself. So I put all three hamsters together in one cage and ignored the hissing. Poor DS#4 totally lost it. He came crying to me that Hammie was murdering the others, they were all bloody, WORSE than the hamsters Hammie actually killed and that I was a TERRIBLE mother for putting them all together and they will all die or something even worse than that. Yada yada yada. Anyway, I'm sad to say that all reports of those hamsters early demise were greatly exaggerated. Everyone survived Hammies vicious attack, the cages never did get cleaned that day, and that is why they were rained on today erev Shabbat.
So that's Hammie. In the bucket.
We have a larger cage for another hamster then a smaller cage for the third hamster.
Did you read the bodice ripper thread, about how royalty slept in different bedrooms and this is a good way to keep offspring to a minimum? But I digress.....

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:37 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

Nuking bad idea. REALLY bad idea. Ya think?
LOL I LOVE bad ideas when it comes to those varmints.

HindaRochel wrote:
I'd do towels and let them have something nice and cozy warm to snuggle in...like leave some toweling on the floor of their cage.
Well, that's you. It shows me you don't have enough laundry to do and need extra towels. I don't need extra laundry. Hey.... what about putting them in a sock from my "no partner" sock collection. I can just toss the sock afterwards, right?

HindaRochel wrote:
I never knew hamsters got outdoor time...
In these areas, outdoor Hamsters also come labeled as "Snake and Bird Food". I was hoping a falcon on it's migration South (they DO pass over here, and were over us on Simchat Torah) would swoop down and make a meal of Hammie in the Bucket. It didn't happen.

zigi

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 9:58 am
lol! what a thread! may be you could go int hamster couture burbery hamster outfits with crystals? I guess you could put a sock on and make holes for leggs or just let them be cold.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics