Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you have no food out of the kitchen/dining room rule?
1  2  Next

Do you have no food out of the kitchen/dining room rule?
yes for kids and adults  
 33%  [ 22 ]
yes for kids, not for adults  
 36%  [ 24 ]
yes for adults, not for kids  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I wish, but no one listens!  
 29%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 65

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 6:41 pm
I have been to some houses where no food is allowed to leave the kitchen or dining room.
Is that the rule in your home?

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 6:52 pm
theres no option for not caring

marina

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 7:04 pm
I don't care if anyone eats outside the kitchen, with the exception of pesach cleaning time.

csb

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 7:14 pm
I try just for my daughter (3), but she doesnt really listen, and sometimes it is really just easier for me to let because either it is 1) early in the morning and she wants breakfast while she watches something (I know its bad but its the only way I can go back to sleep...) or if 2)she is really tired and the only way she will sit and eat supper is if she watches something (bad again...) or 3) she does not want to stay in the kitchen herself (all the way in the back of my apt.) but I am busy doing other things and cant necc. stay with her.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 7:15 pm
I voted yes for kids, not adults, so it's hard for the kids to listen when they see the adults, me and my dh, taking food out. If it's not crumby, messy, or spilly food, I don't say anything, like a fruit.

mominlkwd

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 8:04 pm
I voted yes kids, no adults but we try not to bring food out, if we do it's not in front of the kids -more taking grapes into our bedroom after they are sleeping type of thing. Our living room and dining room are one long room so it's hard but they know they can't eat on the living room furniture etc and they don't take food into the bedrooms or playroom.

Marigold

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 8:29 pm
I voted yes for kids and adults.

I'm quite strict about it so my kids are used to it and don't mind at all. In general,since food can only be eaten at the table, (sometimes I'm a bit lenient) it is so much easier for me to keep a clean home.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 8:57 pm
If someone makes rules like this, do they deep clean before Pesach?

louche

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:06 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
If someone makes rules like this, do they deep clean before Pesach?

Of course they do, but they don't have to be quite so paranoid because the chances of their finding kezayit worth of Cheerios crumbs or old pizza crusts under the bed is fairly slim. Plus, if their household hasn't the habit of bringing food into the other areas, they can feel confident that even if they clean for Pesach on TuBiShvat, they need not worry that they'll have to reclean for Pesach all over again the day of bedikat chametz. Whereas if people have the habit of eating in their rooms, then what's to stop them from accidentally doing so after the room has already been cleaned?

aidelmaidel

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:28 pm
The rule in our house is no food in the bedrooms or living room. It applies to everyone, even guests.

We are paranoid about mice (our last apt was infested) and cleaning for Pesach. This is not to say that I won't let a sick child have a drink in bed, but I certainly don't give them crackers either.

The worst was after I had cleaned our guest bedroom we had a chosson's family stay with us and shortly before they left I discovered they had been eating BREAD in the room.

Now we tell all our guests NO FOOD in their room.

It defintely saves on Pesach cleaning. And trust me I still find chometz...

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:39 pm
We successfully enforced this rule for decades, until my elderly mother came to live with us this year. Mom can't remember that she's not supposed to bring food to her bedroom, and after she broke her ankle she had to have breakfast in bed -- and lunch and dinner too. Fortunately Mom never goes upstairs or into the basement (she can't handle the stairs). And nobody else, whether child or adult, takes food beyond the dining room, and nobody eats in the car either. Works for us, and simplifies Pesach cleaning immensely!

mominlkwd

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:06 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
We successfully enforced this rule for decades, until my elderly mother came to live with us this year. Mom can't remember that she's not supposed to bring food to her bedroom, and after she broke her ankle she had to have breakfast in bed -- and lunch and dinner too. Fortunately Mom never goes upstairs or into the basement (she can't handle the stairs). And nobody else, whether child or adult, takes food beyond the dining room, and nobody eats in the car either. Works for us, and simplifies Pesach cleaning immensely!

Jealous!! We have been trying to do that for years. It works for a while and then we go on a trip and that's the end of it.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:55 pm
Paddington Bear wrote:
I voted yes for kids and adults.

I'm quite strict about it so my kids are used to it and don't mind at all. In general,since food can only be eaten at the table, (sometimes I'm a bit lenient) it is so much easier for me to keep a clean home.

Yups. I let them eat their shabbas snack while playing sometimes though.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 12:12 am
I wrote:
Quote:
...and nobody eats in the car either. Works for us, and simplifies Pesach cleaning immensely!

mominlkwd replied:
Quote:
Jealous!! We have been trying to do that for years. It works for a while and then we go on a trip and that's the end of it.

Our secret is that we always stop at rest stops to eat. It's worth the tradeoff of taking a little longer to get places, and our car is never sticky! Very Happy

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 1:36 am
We have an "eating sitting down [at the table]" rule. So no, no food outside kitchen/dining area/outdoors! Like most Israelis we also don't HAVE a dining room, just a dining table/corner. I also don't allow the kids to eat in the car, though it's getting harder to enforce when the after-school program gives them snack on the way OUT. Still, nothing with crumbs or stickiness.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 1:50 am
I don't have this rule, nor do I wish to run my home in such an uptight manner. People are asked to be careful with food and drinks outside the kitchen and dining area.

I'd rather know that I have to clean well for a few weeks than obsess about it all year.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 1:51 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I don't have this rule (except for Nissan), nor do I wish to run my home in such an uptight manner. People are asked to be careful with food and drinks outside the kitchen and dining area.

I'd rather know that I have to clean well for a few weeks than obsess about it all year.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 2:03 am
No, I've thought about it, but I would rather clean for 2 weeks a year than obsess about food all year round. Plus I eat and drink by the computer (on imamother of course) and I refuse to have a rule for the kids that I don't follow.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 2:14 am
Our downstairs is basically a huge salon (dining area, living room area) and the kitchen.

So the rule is no food upstairs.

I grew up with that rule too.

When I lived in a one floor house or apartment, the rule was no food in the bedrooms.

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 2:22 am
It would be interesting to see if there's a divide between the SAHM households and the WAHM/working-outside-the-home-mom households.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry