Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Kashrus and Babies' medicines
1  2  Next

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Feb 21 2005, 5:35 pm
Does anyone know which baby medications are kosher? I've read that anything containing glycerin may be a problem - particularly flavored syrups.
Well, how about infants' tylenol, pediacare, tri-vi-sol drops, etc???
I was able to get Adwe (Kosher) baby tylenol, but what about the other stuff? There's also something about mixing it with another liquid, making it batel (which I've done in the middle of the night - a drag! - when the baby woke up with a stuffed nose!).
What do you guys know about this?
Thanks!

happyduck

Post Mon, Feb 21 2005, 6:14 pm
Murray Shore, a Frum pharmacist in Toronto, puts out a list of what is kosher and what is not. I know it was published last week in the community link.

Anny

Post Mon, Feb 21 2005, 8:18 pm
Quote:
There's also something about mixing it with another liquid, making it batel (which I've done in the middle of the night - a drag!

how did you get a child to drink it???shock

one has to be very careful and dangerous situations are not a good time to ask shailos (very high feever, etc)

Rivk

Post Mon, Feb 21 2005, 9:10 pm
Triaminic has an ou

Chanie

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 1:36 pm
my mother read me an article recently, it might have been in kashrut magazine.. I'm not sure where. That infant tylonol is kosher when made in the US but the ones from Canada are not. There were also other drugs on the list, but I dont remember.

lucy

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 3:33 pm
I've heard you tell me this before Chanie but just wonderring what is there inside thats not?Someone told me tempra has gelitine.
And if you baby is sick at night with high fever, wouldn't it not really apply bc its medication? Aree all antibiotics kosher?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 6:39 pm
The way I get my 7 month old to "drink" the medicine mixed with water is by using a dropper!
Those of you who mentioned lists....can you provide a link or something? Or do you have a phone number to reach the Star-K, which I heard has a list?
Thanks for your help!
PS Isn't Triaminic only for children, not infants? But it's good to know for the future.
PPS Antibiotics...if no flavor, I don't think it's a problem. If it has a taste, it's on my list of questions...! B"H My baby hasn't had any antibiotics yet, so I don't know.

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 8:41 pm
Quote:
if you baby is sick at night with high fever

I had a situation where I might would have needed to call doc on Shabbos.

the Rav told us NOT to dial beshinui, b/c we might be waisting presious seconds!!!!

if your baby NEEDS IT NOW, GIVE IT NOW!!!!

I second Anny on this

Rivk

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 9:00 pm
My doctor advises against giving infants anything for colds. Yes - triaminic is for kids. Sorry - I forgot we were under infants!

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 9:10 pm
np, don't beat yourself up! Smile

but when babies temp is too hight, it's got to be taken care of.

I am a bit paranoid when it comes to my kids, and being ready in advance is one of the things I try to do. (I hope to never need)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 10:31 pm
perhaps it's better not to give anything for a cold, but if your baby keeps waking up cuz he's so uncomfortable with a stuffy nose and you can't keep "sucking it out" with that bulb thing...isn't a decongestion easier???

Okay, I got the Star-K list. Unfortunately, not everything is there....
But it does say ---

* Tylenol Infants' Plus Cold (& cough) drops

okay, that's the only infant med I see on the list. :/ doesn't mean the others aren't kosher...but doesn't mean they are...

also, regarding syrups and liquids that have glycerin.... If you can't find one with a hechsher or one w/o glycerin, mix each required teaspoon of elixir into at least 2 oz water, juice or soda, to make it batel b'shishim. Unfortunately, that large amount ins't practical for a little baby, unless you can put the meds in his bottle (which I do with vitamins...)

Lemme see if I can find an email address of one of their rovs (or SOMEONE!) to email...

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 10:59 pm
thanks for keeping us posted Smile

rydys

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 7:19 am
First of all, most of the cold medicines do not really work and all of them have side effects so most doctors do not recommend using them.

Second and most importantly, here is some info about fever. Its long, but worth reading. This is a handout I got from another doctor which I give out to my patients.

FEVER — UNDERSTANDING THE MYTHS
Most fevers are good for children and help the body fight infection.

MYTH: All fevers are bad for children.
FACT: Fevers turn on the body’s immune system and are one of the body’s protective mechanisms. Use the following to put your child’s fever into perspective:

100–102 F Low-grade fevers are beneficial. Try to keep the fever in this range.
102–104 F Moderate-grade fevers are beneficial

Over 104 F High fevers cause discomfort but are harmless
Over 105 F Higher risk of bacterial infections with a very high fever.

Over 107 F The fever itself can be harmful

MYTH: Fevers cause brain damage, and fevers over 104°F are dangerous.
FACT: Fevers with infections don’t cause brain damage. Only body temperatures over 107°F can cause brain damage. The body temperature only goes this high with high environmental temperatures (e.g., confined in a closed car).

MYTH: Anyone can have a febrile seizure.
FACT: Only 4% of children ever have a febrile seizure.

MYTH: Febrile seizures are harmful.
FACT: Febrile seizures are scary to watch, but they usually stop within 5 minutes. They cause no permanent harm. Children with febrile seizures have no higher incidence for developmental delays, learning disabilities, or seizures without fever.

MYTH: All fevers need to be treated with fever medicine.
FACT: Fevers only need to be treated if they cause discomfort—usually fevers over 102 or 103°F. Remember, fever helps the body fight off infection!

MYTH: Without treatment, fevers will keep going higher.
FACT: Fevers from infection top out at 105 - 106 or lower, because of the brain’s thermostat.

MYTH: With treatment, fevers should come down to normal.
FACT: With treatment, fevers usually come down only 2 or 3°. The temperature may not return to normal, and doesn’t have to. It will go up again as the medicine wears off.

MYTH: If the fever doesn’t come down, the cause is serious.
FACT: Fevers that don’t respond to fever medicine can he caused by viruses or bacteria. It has nothing to do with the seriousness of the infection.

MYTH: If the fever is high, the cause is serious.
FACT: IF YOUR CHILD LOOKS VERY SICK, THE CAUSE IS SERIOUS.

MYTH: The exact number of the temperature is very important.
FACT: HOW YOUR CHILD LOOKS IS WHAT’S IMPORTANT.

MYTH: Temperatures between 98.6 and 100°F are low-grade fevers.
FACT: Normal temperature changes throughout the day and peaks in the late afternoon and evening.

• 99.4°F is the average rectal temperature. It normally can change from 98.4°F in the morning to a high of 100.3°F in the late afternoon.
• 98.6°F is just the average oral temperature. It normally can change from a low of 97.6°F in the morning to a high of 99.5 – 100.0 F in the late afternoon.

rydys

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 7:23 am
I also wanted to clarify that fever at different ages is handled differently. Any child under 3 months with a rectal temp greater than 100.4, you should call your doctor immediately (even on shabbos). For babies bet. 3 months and 3 years, fever over 102 should be seen by a doctor, but if the baby looks OK you can wait until the next day. Over 3 years, any fever can wait a few days as long as the child looks OK. Also, until 5 or 6 where children can keep a thermometer under their tongue with their mouths closed, the only accurate way to measure temp. is rectal. Underarm temps are just skin temps and will be higher or lower than the actual temp depending on room temperature.

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 7:47 am
rydys wrote:
Underarm temps are just skin temps and will be higher or lower than the actual temp depending on room temperature.

Ditto, I assume, for those forehead strip thermometers. How about ear thermometers?

rydys

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 12:04 pm
ear thermometers are accurate IF -- there is no wax at all in the ear and they are aimed perfectly at the tympanic membrane which is not infected or inflamed in any way and the canal is big enough to get a good view of the membrane. Since it is very difficult to ensure all 3 of these without looking in the ear and holding a squirming, sick child very tightly, I don't recommend buying them.

I'm not sure how to move this to a new thread, since I guess it is really off the topic of kosher meds. If anyone knows how, we could move it to another site.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 12:32 pm
wow!
I was thinking of buying one!

Manufacturers sure don't tell this!!

BlumaG

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 1:47 pm
they now have a thermometor that goes by hte temporal temp on the forehead, I am not so sure about them though.
if u do under the arm u should add 1 degree do the result

rydys

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 2:04 pm
as I mentioned above, adding a degree to an underarm temp doesn't help. If the room is warm, the underarm temp may be higher than the actual body temp, and if the room is cool than it may be lower than the body temp. How much higher or lower is not something you can quantify or formulate.

Sunshine

Post Wed, Feb 23 2005, 7:13 pm
Rydys, what kind of thermometer would you recommened for an older child?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics