Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Will you be fasting this Tisha B'Av?
Previous  1  2

Will you be fasting this Tisha B'Av?
Yes!  
 79%  [ 51 ]
No!  
 10%  [ 7 ]
Until Chatzos  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Other (please share)  
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 64

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 10:08 am
My Rav told me to start the fast (I'm nursing) but in his words "not to be a martyr". In other words, if I'm ridiculously thirsty, having trouble with my milk supply, or otherwise not feeling good, I should eat.

So I started the fast, and lasted until around chatzot today...had some melon and lots of water! Otherwise, I'm not eating. DH said that a heter to eat doesn't mean a heter to pig out (so to speak) so I'm going with the bare minimum.

micki

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 10:10 am
actually marion, on YK you would be correct. but on tisha bav once you broke your fast you broke it.
obviously don't eat chocolates and ice cream.
but once you broke your fast you can eat as much as you would on any other day.

Mishie

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 10:14 am
Micky,
So, Shiurim don't apply for Tisha B'Av?

micki

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 10:20 am
not according to the 3 rabbanim I have consulted with over the last 9 years.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 10:20 am
I was informed by my fertility clinic that HaRav Mordechai Eliyahu, shlita has given a Psak that any woman in the middle of an IUI or IVF cycle does not have to fast. In addition, my dr. feels that women going through any fertility treatments should not fast.

As I had IUI on Erev Tisha B'Av, I decided to take it hour by hour. I lasted until noon and when I discovered that I was dizzy while laying down, with my eyes closed and mostly asleep, I decided I needed some hydration and sugar. I had fruit juice and half a bagel... and have been sipping juice a little here and there.

Mishie

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 10:25 am
Kmelion -
I hope you start to feel better soon! Very Happy

cutiemom

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 2:44 pm
Micki - I guess it depends who you ask because when I was pregnant and felt a few contractions in my 5th month from dehydration, the rav told me to have 1 ounce every 4 minutes, and when I stopped to try to sleep, the contractions started again. (I am generally a bad faster and don't fast anything except tisha bav and YK.) Good luck all, but really ask a Rav if you feel its necessary not to fast. Feel good, and be well...

P.s. Not trying to make anyone feel guilty at all (I would be the last person to do that about fasting especially) just impressing the idea to ask a Rav...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note