Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Sweet Potato-Apple Latkes...from Weight Watchers

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 9:25 am
This was posted on Weight Watcher's last week. I modified it by using sweet potatoes (more fiber, nutrients) and added a little more egg since the first batch fell apart.

Eat 'em for breakfast (yummy with pumpkin butter this time of year), snack, with din, etc.! Enjoy! (I put this in the Channukah section since it's a latke, but it's October and I'm eating them up)

1 large Yukon Gold potato(es), peeled
1 medium apple(s), such as Pink Lady, peeled, cored, quartered
4 tsp dehydrated onion flakes
1 large egg(s), beaten
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3 spray(s) cooking spray
1/2 cup(s) fat-free sour cream
Instructions
Shred potato and apple into a medium-size bowl using the fine-holes of a box grater or shredder; stir in onion flakes. Press out as much liquid as you can by hand; drain liquid. Set aside mixture for 1 minute and press out liquid again; drain again. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and cinnamon.

Coat a very large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Drop potato mixture by tablespoonfuls into skillet and flatten each with the back of a spoon to make twenty 2-inch latkes. Leave at least 1 inch between latkes; you will have to do this in batches.

Cook latkes until golden on first side, about 3 minutes. Gently flip latkes with a spatula and cook until other side is golden, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Carefully remove latkes to a serving plate; cover to keep warm and repeat with remaining ingredients. Top with sour cream and serve. Yields 2 latkes and 2 1/3 teaspoons sour cream per serving.

1 point per serving

dGirl

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 9:48 pm
Has anyone tried these? Comments on them?

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 9:59 pm
With pumpkin butter, yummy. They were also good with sugar-free syrup. They fell apart a little more than regular fried latkes, but I'll try playing with the recipe a little...

dGirl

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 10:48 pm
I'm surpirsed that there really is no flour / matzo meal. I suppose it's part of the weight watchers style, but it standard in a latke!

elmos

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 4:45 pm
Can theese be made a day in advance

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 4:48 pm
We made them and ate them for a few days (put them on the oven rack to crisp/warm them the rest of the week).

dGirl

Post Sat, Dec 04 2010, 8:40 pm
Just reporting back.

These came out tasting GREAT! But I would strongly reccommend matzo meals or something to bind them. They fell apart at the slightest touch. I tried leaving them to cook longer, and they just burnt and fell apart in that case.

Great, but needs the starch.

Thanks for the recipe! Smile

solo

Post Mon, Dec 06 2010, 5:42 pm
I made the and loved them as well.
I did add an extra egg though.
they held together well but I cant imagine they would have without the extra egg
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics