Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Home from Dorm

Isramom8

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 7:58 pm
How do you handle a teen home from a dorm for Shabbos, who is used to living with other teens/young adults, and gets really annoyed with the immature behavior of younger sibs?

Merrymom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 11:22 pm
Make sure she has her own space to escape to. If there really isn't room in the house, build a loft, or divide the room somehow, just give her a way of getting away from them all.

Basmelechpnima

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 8:03 pm
I would give him/her a pep talk before his/her next visit about how he/she needs to learn to tolerate it.
What worked for me: Before his last visit, I told my teen that his younger siblings look up to him, and every word directed at them could make or break them. I told him to look for the positive and compliment his sibs whenever possible. And to remember that their silly behavior was normal for their age. And if he had nothing nice to say not to say anything at all. At first he rolled his eyes, but I later overheard him showering his sibs with compliments. Good luck:)

Inspired

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 8:29 pm
Great thread. Thanks for starting it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children