Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Tomatoe Dip
1  2  Next

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 9:25 pm
Does anyone have a recipe for good tomatoe dip, you know....like the ones they sell in the dip section, I hate spending 3 bucks on it when it goes so fast and looks so easy to make. The truth is Ill spend that much on the ingredients, using vine tomatoes and garlic but worth it if it comes out good...Anyone???

goldrose

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 9:27 pm
5 round or 7 plum fresh tomatoes, chopped or
equivalent in canned stewed or whole tomatoes, chopped
1 red or green pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp oil (5 tbsp tastes better)
½ tsp turmeric
½ tbsp crushed red pepper
pinch of salt

Heat oil, add all ingredients and mix. High flame till boils, low flame (not simmer) for about 3 ½ hours. Mix occasionally for the first two hours; after that mix more often, and toward the very end mix very often…to prevent burning.

IS THIS WHAT YOU MEAN? it's delish!!

here's something a little different:

8 med-large green, red or yellow peppers (or combination)
3 15-oz cans crushed tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
4-6 jalapeno peppers (depending on how hot you like it)
1 tsp. Oil
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar

Wash, seed and halve peppers. Grill peppers face down in 500° oven for approximately 15 minutes or until skins turn brown and bubble. Heat oil in pot on stovetop on medium flame. Process garlic and jalapeno peppers until fine. Add to oil. Add crushed tomatoes. Remove peppers from oven, dice, and add into pot together with tomato mixture. Add salt and sugar. Cook on med-low flame for 1 ½ hours, uncovered.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 9:36 pm
my recipe is WAAAY EASIER.

2 large tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup oil
1/2 tsp salt
crushed red pepper

put it all in food processor and liquify!

goldrose

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 9:37 pm
you said it mindy, but does it taste half as good? it's probably two different things. The first I posted is actually "matbucha" and the second is called "hot sauce" -both are more like spreads. are spreads=dips?

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 9:49 pm
Quote:
The first I posted is actually "matbucha"

I buy matbucha for shabbos and hot sauce is def not my thing , I will try your matbucha recipe when I have time though it sounds good.

Mindy your recipe sounds like what I want, Thats what ill make tomorrow Its not realy a spread right its a little runnier like a dip and just tomatoe and garlicy. I want a recipe like the tomatoe dip that is on the kosher supermarkets and it is called tomatoe dip lol

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 10:54 pm
we call it 'charif'.

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 10:57 pm
Any name is good for it if its that yummy, but I meant thats actualy the name on the container lol

DevorahF

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 11:51 pm
the one I make is easy, it has one large mushy red tomatoe, salt and pepper to taste, 2 cloves fresh garlic and 1/4 c canola oil all in a blender or food processor for 2 minutes.

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 11:53 pm
Thank you , tomorrow I'm making tomatoe dip Smile , I knew about the tomatoes duh and the garlic from my taste buds but I would have not thought to put oil (maybe I shoulda stuck to buying, much less fat guilt lol) thanks all of you for the recipes, ill let you know how it comes out.

MMEC123

Post Fri, Aug 04 2006, 7:56 am
I make the same thing but I don't put nearly as much oil. I literally just put in a few drops and its still delicious and not as fattening.

goldrose

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 11:35 am
well, mindy, I tried your tomato dip. all I can say is, according to the effort is the reward! there's no comparison between the recipes I mentioned above, and the one you mentioned.

cindy324

Post Wed, Aug 16 2006, 11:56 am
I use olive oil, lot healthier, and also just a drizzle.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 12:06 pm
I make tomato dip with:
oil,
garlic,
tomatoes,
salt,
pepper, and
paprika for color.
I first blend the oil and garlic to make sure they are well blended and then I add the rest of the ingredients.
If I want it to be hotter (more like charif) then I add one fresh (not pickled) hot pepper.
It is so delicious and we all love to dip our challah into it.

Goldrose, btw tomato dip and matbucha are two different things and if you like one, doesn't mean it's better than the other one.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 12:12 pm
I have made this sev. diff ways and we didn't like it.

mumof1

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 4:28 am
I make the same as DevorahF
its great and not complicated at all
I also take any leftover and pour it over chicken bottoms let it marinate overnight and bake covered its sooo good.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 12:29 pm
I think that's why we don't care care for the tomato di[p, it's something we'd prefer HOT.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 1:09 pm
I used to make it with garlic but this week I did not have any at home and it was a few minutes to shabbos, so this is how I did it: this is hot tomato dip:
I used regular tomato (not vine or other fancy ones, the simple round tomatos, but very ripe), as much as desired, then added some oil and salt and cayenne pepper. Blend in food processor or blender for a few minutes until it's It was so good, I think I'm not going back to garlic anymore! The cayenne pepper is hot, so it makes up for the burning garlic.

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 1:24 pm
It’s a waste of money to use vine tomatoes on tomato dip. The plum (egg shaped) tomatoes work best. We don’t like it thick and creamy, we like it chunky so that you can get stuff on your challah. I also add a dollop of mayonnaise and paprika, some vinegar, and sugar. Yum!

ltlesmartmom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 1:35 pm
tomatoes, garlic, black pepper, hot pepper, a little sugar and oil.

no recipe I just taste and make it the way I like

lotte

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 2:19 pm
O.k. let's have the picture clear here.
There are 2 kinds of tomato dips:

1.Ashkenazi-(Yerushalmi)-in Hebrew they call it :Arabic salad-salat aravi.
It is not cooked and all you have to do is put all ingredients in a food processor or as many ppl do-use a grater..
Salt
Pepper
If you like super hot & spicy-add 1 jalapeño pepper.

2. Moroccan -called sallada Matbucha.
Matbucha is a cooked tomato dip and so ez to make.
Soft cut up tomatoes (or canned whole tomatoes)
Lots of fresh garlic!
Green Italian peppers
If you like hot-1 jalapeño pepper
1 can tomato paste

Fry the garlic in oil for 3 minutes. Add small cubes of green pepper let in simmer on low flame for 20 min.add tomatoes. Salt pepper,1 small can of tomato paste and let cook on low for up to 12 hours.
The more u cook-the better it is.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics