Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
For those who have one dishwasher
1  2  Next

What "gender" is your dishwasher
meat  
 87%  [ 27 ]
milchig  
 12%  [ 4 ]
pareve  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

ceo

Post Fri, Aug 04 2006, 3:35 pm
We are getting a dishwasher and I am trying to decide what to use it for. What do you use it for? Why did you choose that? Obviously, answer only if you have ONE (not two) dishwashers.

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Aug 04 2006, 3:42 pm
we had one installled when we bought our house. the previous owners had no dishwasher, so we had to hack out a whole area of cabinets....

we made ours meat, cuz thats what made most sense for us...shabbos entertaining, heavy fleishig dinners etc...

we just handwash our dairy dishes.

enjoy it!! what a lifesaver! Smile LOL Wink

goldrose

Post Fri, Aug 04 2006, 4:19 pm
I dont have any dishwashers, but if I'd have just one, I'd make it fleishigs. I have tons of fleishig dishes on erev shabbos from cooking for shabbos, and then, tons more after shabbos from hosting!

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Aug 04 2006, 4:21 pm
I say meat, meat, meat.

I use mine for meat and it really is the best thing in the world.
Motzei Shabbos clean up is such a pleasure, whereas it used to take me like 2 hours to wash all the dishes, now I just load it all up and away we go.

The really messy pots and pans, for me, happen when I make fleishig meals. Milchigs I don't really cook that much, and it's basically just dishes to wash, which is much easier then gross big meaty pots!

But thats just my opinion.... Wink

realeez

Post Fri, Aug 04 2006, 5:04 pm
When I had one- I used it for meat. such a pleasure cooking for shabbos and after shabbos.
(now we are renting a house that was previously owned by frum ppl and they left their milchig one and we brought our fleishig one!)

Raisin

Post Sat, Aug 05 2006, 8:26 pm
It depends what you cook most during the week for supper. Breakfast and lunch is always milchig for most people, so if you cook a lot of milchig suppers, (like me) it may be worth having a milky dishwasher.

I have so much shabbos washing up that I always have to wash lots by hand, even with the dishwasher (the amount of guests I have, I really need a commercial one!)

Having said that, bh I have 2! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy but if I could just have one, I would choose milchig.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Aug 05 2006, 9:22 pm
Definitely meat, as we have it once or twice a day... And milkhig is easier to clean "by hand" than fleishik...

shayna82

Post Sat, Aug 05 2006, 9:37 pm
yeah, go with the meat.

bandcm

Post Sat, Aug 05 2006, 9:40 pm
I have none, but my mother has only one and it's fleishig.
If only for motzei Shabbos it's worth it!

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Aug 06 2006, 11:16 am
bandcm wrote:
I have none, but my mother has only one and it's fleishig.
If only for motzei Shabbos it's worth it!

definately!
And if I have a big load motzei shabbos because I had guests, I just do 2 loads, not a big deal. One load for the really dirty pots and pans, and one for the china and glasses and cutlery.
What a pleasure!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 11:44 am
The first time my parents had a dishwasher, it was fleishig, but my mother said it was such a waste. Her glasses were not safe for it, and neither were all the china, and the big soup pot/cholent pot didn't fit, and she ended up making more fleishig meals and pareve in fleishig dishes during the week because of it, and so the kids weren't able to drink milk.

A few houses later, when they were installing a dishwasher, they chose to make it milchig -- load it up after breakfast, supper can be milchig easily, and so easy to do dishes before shabbos with only one sink, and can work fleishig without milchigs in the way. For a small kitchen, and lots of kids, it turned out to be ideal.

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 4:53 pm
My dishwasher has a timer on it. I'm about to kasher it (stainless steel interior), and was wondering the same thing.

Could I set the timer before Shabbat, load it up as I clear dishes erev Shabbos, have it run during the night and then be able to put away the clean dishes and ready to load up the dirty dishes from Sat. on motzei Shabbat?

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 5:00 pm
JRKMommy, lots of people do that! It's a great idea. Just be careful no lights go on or anything when you close it or open it.

BTW if you get seperate racks you can use your dishwasher on pesach because it's stainless steel. Seperate racks are expensive though...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 5:25 pm
all the seforim I've read and all the shiurim I've gone to said you can't run a noisy appliance on shabbos or yomtov b/c of maris ayin.

I even asked around my office since I work with all kinds of people, and all my coworkers - lakewood, monsey, washington heights, riverdale, longisland, flatbush, agree.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 5:28 pm
Dishwashers aren't noisy these days.
But maybe ask someone knowledgable just in case.

JRKmommy

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 4:26 pm
It's a very quiet dishwasher. If you're close enough to hear it, you're close enough to see the timer feature. Besides, it's in my house, so no random outsider would hear it. I can just explain it to whoever comes in the kitchen (eg. "Don't touch the dishwasher - the Shabbos timer is all set!)

supermom

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 2:14 pm
I am the dishwasher in my house 8) I am used for meat and milk.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 4:24 pm
Lol. that was me too!
When I got my dishwasher it really was a life changing experience!

Secbeb

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 4:58 pm
Ha! We only have one dishwasher in our house too. . .and its me. Crying Crying Someday. . . .

faigie

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 6:06 pm
one dishwasher? ha! I have four! and I never have to worry about milchig or fleishig...........namely................
me
nahi
chayala
chaim
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics