Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
So what have you heard about the new Quick & Kosher cook
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 9:43 pm
Simple1 wrote:
It's funny that people are complaining about the simplicity of the recipes - because that is the point of them. It's for those who want quick meals. Some people don't have the patience to fuss with making dough from scratch. Personally, I get overwhelmed if I see an ingredient list that's more than 5-6 ingredience long and that's why I love her first book (I didn't see the 2nd book.) And none of my favorite recipes in there had any specific brand-names.
I love simplicity. But for the veggie wraps I expected to see "dump sliced veggies in pan with olive oil and garlic and roast, wrap and eat". Not buy grilled veggies, wrap, and eat.
But then again, that's what I originally thought about her duck sauce chicken recipe in the original cookbook, but I changed my mind after trying other recipes, and after buying the book, I actually realized that I liked her crispy version of duck sauce chicken better than any others. Like I said, after trying a few of the recipes once she posts some online as promotions, I may just change my mind and buy the book like I did last time. Smile

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Nov 21 2010, 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Simple1

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 9:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
It's funny that people are complaining about the simplicity of the recipes - because that is the point of them. It's for those who want quick meals. Some people don't have the patience to fuss with making dough from scratch. Personally, I get overwhelmed if I see an ingredient list that's more than 5-6 ingredience long and that's why I love her first book (I didn't see the 2nd book.) And none of my favorite recipes in there had any specific brand-names.
I love simplicity. But for the grilled veggie wraps I expected to see "dump sliced veggies in pan with olive oil and garlic and roast, wrap and eat". Not buy grilled veggies, wrap, and eat.

Yeah - I'd for sure prefer fresh veggies.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 10:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
I love simplicity. But for the veggie wraps I expected to see "dump sliced veggies in pan with olive oil and garlic and roast, wrap and eat". Not buy grilled veggies, wrap, and eat.
But then again, that's what I originally thought about her duck sauce chicken recipe in the original cookbook, but I changed my mind after trying other recipes, and after buying the book, I actually realized that I liked her crispy version of duck sauce chicken better than any others. Like I said, after trying a few of the recipes once she posts some online as promotions, I may just change my mind and buy the book like I did last time. Smile

Somewhat off topic, but reading about crispy duck sauce chicken, I'd love to have the recipe. You made me drool.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 10:20 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Simple1 wrote:

Somewhat off topic, but reading about crispy duck sauce chicken, I'd love to have the recipe. You made me drool.

LOL

Duck Sauce Chicken (from memory)

1 chicken, cut into eighths or 4 chicken bottoms, thighs and legs separated
(garlic powder and salt, my addition)
1-1/4 cup duck sauce

Arrange chicken pieces in a 9x13 pan. (Sprinkle generously with garlic powder and salt.)
Pour duck sauce evenly over chicken.
Bake uncovered at 375 for 1 hour and 15 minutes - 1 hour and 25 minutes until tops are browned and crispy, and chicken is soft and juicy.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Nov 21 2010, 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 10:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Simple1 wrote:

LOL

Duck Sauce Chicken (from memory)

1 chicken, cut into eighths or 4 chicken bottoms, thighs and legs separated
(garlic powder and salt, my addition)
1-1/4 cup duck sauce

Arrange chicken pieces in a 9x13 pan. (Sprinkle generously with garlic powder and salt.)
Pour duck sauce evenly over chicken.
Bake uncovered at 375 for 1 hour and 15 minutes - 1 hour and 25 minutes.
Top is crispy and delicious, inside is soft and juicy.

Thanks for posting it. But meh, I didn't think I'd need a recipe for that. I always make it that way. But now I want me some really good Chinese chicken.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 10:42 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
Thanks for posting it. But meh, I didn't think I'd need a recipe for that. I always make it that way. But now I want me some really good Chinese chicken.

Sunshine! has a great chinese sauce recipe. (soy sauce, honey, red pepper flakes..)
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....inese

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 10:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

Sunshine! has a great chinese sauce recipe. (soy sauce, honey, red pepper flakes..)

Are you really so intent on making me drool?? LOL LOL LOL Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 11:02 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

Pour it over steamed chicken and veggies like I do. Smile

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 12:36 am
ra_mom wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

Pour it over steamed chicken and veggies like I do. Smile

Cherry

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 12:34 pm
I was given her first book as a gift and LOVED it. I noticed that she was always saying to use Osem, but didnt really care. Then this new one came out at the same time as Susie Fishbeins, and honesty I went for Susies because it had more pictures!

Keeping in mind that its likely that Jamie Geller is reading this thread, I have to say that I wont be buying this new book. Really? Buy roasted veggies?

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 12:43 pm
After reading this thread I went on kosher.com to see what all the fuss was about, YOW high prices!!!

(ETA:I am saying this as someone who lives near a ton of kosher food... now I have lived OOT and I can see that if I lived OOT and wanted a specific kosher thing that I would use them, but only for special occasions!!!)

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 2:50 pm
I live OOT - and I wouldnt buy their products anyways - asides for the hiked up prices - the shipping gets to you.....

I don't have the cookbook - but I am also curios why the push for the website - many many ppl leave near the supermarkets that get these items...

wispalover

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 3:23 pm
The reason for push for kosher.com is that she is their 'chief foodie'. That is why I said that with all the endorsements, I am sure she more than made up for paying publishing costs by the 'ads'.

The last book, using the duck sauce chicken as an example, did not specift a duck sauce brand- if it did, it was likely on the side as a suggestion. As I said before, almost eveyr recipe specifies a certain brand to use for something, and for me, I find it really really annoying. If jamie is reading this then I feel bad, but we all know she works for kosher.com, we all know about gefen and manishewitz, and we can all get items exactly the same for usually half the price. As an example, Shoprite stocks OU Glatt chicken broth and OU generic brand oil spray. Why would I chose to use Gefen or Manishewitz?

My favorite 'recipe' from the cookbook

'Garlic Dusted French Fries'

1 32oz bag frozen french fries
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder.

Cook fries according to package direction.

Mix salt with garlic powder, sprinkle before serving. Rolling Eyes

farm

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 4:11 pm
Quote:
had never ever heard of 'natural and kosher' cheese- if you were really looking for a brand most women use, wouldn't you go for Millers?!

Millers isn't cholov yisroel

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 5:14 pm
I don't know about you all, but here in my house we are not fans of the "natural and kosher" cheeses.

I bought the cheese sticks for my 4 year old and after trying them once she wouldn't eat them.
It was actually kind of of cute, when I asked her if she wanted one (on a different day) she said "ech, those cheese sticks are awful!"

wispalover

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 7:17 pm
farm wrote:
Quote:
had never ever heard of 'natural and kosher' cheese- if you were really looking for a brand most women use, wouldn't you go for Millers?!

Millers isn't cholov yisroel

Ok- but this book isn't necessarily geared to CY. Other more famous brands which I believe are CY include Haolom or Golan I think. The debate wasn't about CY- the debate was how much product endorsement was placed.

Mirabelle- My 2 y.o hated them as well....

Tova

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 7:51 pm
I use their shredded cheese all the time in homemade pizza and lasagna and b"H have had no complaints. Their prices cannot be beat. Maybe once melted it tastes fine.

wispalover

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 8:33 pm
I sometimes use their shredded stuff too. I personally prefer cheese that is single-type shredded like Millers or Mehadrin.. Mehadrin mild cheddar is my total favorite and when I was in Rockland Kosher a few weeks ago they were selling it for $1.39 a bag!!! I was *so* happy!

sky

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 8:58 pm
Tova wrote:
I use their shredded cheese all the time in homemade pizza and lasagna and b"H have had no complaints. Their prices cannot be beat. Maybe once melted it tastes fine.

I also use their shredded and american cheese, we like it. I haven't tried the cheese sticks. I've been finding it at Costco for cheap. My MIL pointed out to me that the shredded cheese has a lot more fat then Mehadrin, I meant to compare them exactly but have not had the chance yet.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 11:36 pm
I grew up with Millers, so I really like the taste, but Haolam, Golan, and Mehadrin are also fine for us as well.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics